1. A new Club member feature has been added. If you wish to ignore a thread or forum please see this thread.. If you are not a club member, but would like this feature please consider becoming a member here

Charlie Strong: 2012 Colorado Head Coaching Search Profile

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by buff4bcs1985, Nov 26, 2012.

1. buff4bcs1985

buff4bcs1985 Hail to the King Club Member

[FONT=&amp]Charlie Strong – University of Louisville Head Coach

[/FONT]
    [​IMG][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]​Bio/Experience: A man with a proven track record as an assistant coach for 27years and winning two national titles, Strong has a clear vision of re-buildingthe Cardinals' football program based on character, hard work and honor.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]In two seasons at Louisville,Strong has guided the Cardinals to consecutive bowl appearances, and theschool's first BIG EAST title since 2006. He is only the third coach in U of Lhistory to guide his first two teams to bowl games and 14 wins after inheritinga team that won just 15 games in the three seasons before Strong was hired.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]Simply put, Strong has turnedaround the football program and the excitement around the program is at anall-time high.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]Louisville improved from 4-8 in2009 to identical 7-6 records in 2010 and 2011, including bowl game appearancesin the Beef `O'Brady's Bowl in 2010 and the Belk Bowl last season.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]After winning a combined two leaguegames in 2008-09, Strong led the Cardinals to three BIG EAST victories in 2010and five on 2011. Playing with a large number of underclassmen and truefreshmen this past season, Strong saw his young team get off to a slow start,but it was understandable with the large number of first-time performers.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]Louisville won two of its firstthree games, including a 24-17 win on the road at arch-rival Kentucky, snappinga four-game losing streak to the `Cats. It was the first win in Lexington sincethe 2005 season. However, Strong's young team dropped its next three games andit looked like the season was lost.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]Sitting at 2-4 after a loss toCincinnati on Oct. 15, in which Louisville had a 16-7 lead at the half, theCardinals rattled off wins in five of their last six games, including a winover nationally ranked West Virginia. Louisville also won its last two games ofthe year on the road to win a share of the BIG EAST title and qualify for theBelk Bowl.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]Strong guided true freshmanquarterback Teddy Bridgewater to win BIG EAST Rookie of the Year and a numberfreshman All-American accolades, while freshman guard Jake Smith became thefirst Cardinal player to be named a FWAA Freshman All-American.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]Taking over a program that went15-21 in the three seasons prior to him taking over, Strong's first season wasjust as impressive, guiding the Cardinals to a 7-6 record and being named theBIG EAST Coach of the Year.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]After combining to win just twoBIG EAST games in 2008 and 2009, Strong guided the Cardinals to a 3-4 record,including its first BIG EAST shutout -- a 26-0 win over BIG EAST championConnecticut.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]Louisville also snapped its10-game road league losing streak with a 28-20 win at Syracuse and a 40-13victory over Rutgers to achieve bowl eligibility. Louisville defeated SouthernMississippi 31-28 in the 2010 Beef `O'Brady's Bowl in St. Petersburg, Fla.,after falling behind 14-0. It capped one of the best turnarounds in Division Ifootball, improving by +3 games from the previous season. Off the field, Strongcoached four first-team All-BIG EAST performers in Bilal Powell, JohnnyPatrick, Cameron Graham and Mark Wetterer, while Hakeem Smith was the BIG EASTNewcomer of the Year.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]Questions:[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]Can we afford him? Teams willbe bidding for his services. Can the buffs afford the bidding war?[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]Is he a fit in Colorado?[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]He is a big enough name?[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]Would he leave Louisville?[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]Strengths[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]Good resume[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]Strong defensive mind[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]Coach with tremendous upside[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]Cleaned up after a Failed coaching experiment[/FONT]

Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
  2. BuffNut99

BuffNut99 Club Member Club Member

This guy. Throw money.

3. BinaryBuff

BinaryBuff mmmm...beer Club Member

I'd be all for Strong, but I'm not sure I'd see why he would leave Louisville for CU

4. White_Rabbit

White_Rabbit Club Member Club Member

No way he comes here, but he'll be good somewhere.

5. FlaBuff

FlaBuff FREE HUGS! Club Member

Coach strong is a good man. He would visit the school where I coached just to maintain the connection when he was DC at UF, knowing full well I had nobody that could play for the Gators.

6. manhattanbuf

manhattanbuf Member

The Louisville job is better than the Colorado job. They've committed to make facilities improvements. They've committed to pay HCCS a highly competitive salary. The school is okay with admitting academic risks.

7. Ozbuff

Ozbuff Member

Seems like he's building something at Louisville so I'd be surprised to see him leave. Eventually he'll probably go the SEC, but right now I think he'll stay put.

8. Scotch

Scotch Registered User Club Member Junta Member

:lol: ^^^^^THIS^^^^^

9. SINKRATZ

SINKRATZ Club Member Club Member

Does Mac's rant scare away any black coach who may otherwise have been considering the CU job? If a guy like Strong has other options (and he most certainly would), why would he come join this s**tshow now?

Mission accomplished Mac. :huh:

10. lawdogg

lawdogg Club Member Club Member

Can't speak for black coaches or black people everywhere, but I doubt Mac's rant would have a huge impact. Coaches are going to be savvy enough to recognize that Embree just did not have the results on the field that were expected of him. It may not have been "fair" for him to be fired after two years, but it wasn't racist for him to get canned. There are just reasons to be leery about the job (facilities and the historical lack of admin support to black and white head coaches), but Mac's rant is not one of them.

11. BuffNut99

BuffNut99 Club Member Club Member

I would think that seeking to hire consecutive black coaches would dispel any notions.

12. Rraalph 3000

Rraalph 3000 Well-Known Member

Yep...given how predictable Distefino is, I wouldn't doubt his idea of quieting the "Racist" comments is hiring another black coach.....if so, it better be this guy

13. sliderNcider

sliderNcider MacLovin BANNED Club Member

Louisville to the ACC puts them in a better position to keep Strong

14. lawdogg

lawdogg Club Member Club Member

So sounds like the main question mark with Strong is, why would a coach like him be willing to come to a place like CU right now. Are there any more substantive critiques of him as a coaching candidate?

15. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

My biggest question is that his recruiting network is SEC/ACC country. That's probably an irrelevant criticism, though. He's nationally known as a head coach and has a big enough coaching tree to be able to hire assistants that fit a program's geographic recruiting needs.

Close
    Charlie Strong

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Jump to: navigation, search
    Column 1
    [TR]
    [TH="class: fn infobox vcard, bgcolor: lightgray, colspan: 2, align: center"]Charlie Strong
    [/TH]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TH="class: infobox vcard, align: left"]Sport(s)[/TH]
    [TD="align: left"]Football
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TH="class: infobox vcard, bgcolor: lightgray, colspan: 2, align: center"]Current position[/TH]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TH="class: infobox vcard, align: left"]Title[/TH]
    [TD="align: left"]Head coach[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TH="class: infobox vcard, align: left"]Team[/TH]
    [TD="align: left"]Louisville[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TH="class: infobox vcard, align: left"]Record[/TH]
    [TD="align: left"]23–14 (.622)[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TH="class: infobox vcard, bgcolor: lightgray, colspan: 2, align: center"]Biographical details[/TH]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TH="class: infobox vcard, align: left"]Born[/TH]
    [TD="align: left"] August 2, 1960 (age 52)
    Batesville, Arkansas[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TH="class: infobox vcard, bgcolor: lightgray, colspan: 2, align: center"]Playing career[/TH]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TH="class: infobox vcard, align: left"]1980–1983[/TH]
    [TD="align: left"]Central Arkansas[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TH="class: infobox vcard, bgcolor: lightgray, colspan: 2, align: center"]Coaching career (HC unless noted)[/TH]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TH="class: infobox vcard, align: left"]1983–1984
    1986–1987
    1988–1989
    1991–1994
    1995–1998
    1999–2001
    2002–2009
    2010–Present[/TH]
    [TD="align: left"]Florida (Graduate asst)
    Texas A&M (Graduate asst)
    Southern Illinois (WR)
    Florida (OLB)
    Ole Miss (WR)
    Florida (Asst HC/DT)
    Notre Dame (DE / DT)
    South Carolina (DC)
    Florida (DC/DE)
    Florida (interim HC)
    Florida (Asst HC/co-DC/LB)
    Louisville[/TD]
    [/TR]

16. CUBuffs12

CUBuffs12 Club Member Club Member

Looks like Auburn will interview him.

17. 4DemBuffs

4DemBuffs Most admired poster Club Member

i was under the impression that CS had some time in colorado in one way or another....?

18. Lt.Col.FrankSlade

Lt.Col.FrankSlade Well-Known Member

Louisville is a nice program today - but how high is Louisville's ceiling? It's a football program that has never played for a national title. It's #96 in all time wins. I could see where a person might consider a Pac12 school to have a better long term ceiling.

19. Ozbuff

Ozbuff Member

I agree. I just don't see it happening yet. He hasn't been at Louisville long and he's building a program. Also, the fact that Louisville is moving to the ACC might be an additional incentive to stay.

20. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Does anyone disagree that Strong would be a pretty much bulletproof hire if Bohn could make that happen?

21. buffedup

buffedup Club Member Club Member

Nope. Impeccable resume, and has other defensible qualities.

22. Goose

Goose Hoops Moderator Club Member Junta Member

Bohn would be able to walk around town doing Sam Cassell's big nuts dance if he pulled this off.

[​IMG]

azbuff and Lt.Col.FrankSlade like this.
  23. FlaBuff

FlaBuff FREE HUGS! Club Member

I think it is a pipe dream, but he would be an excellent hire.

24. Ozbuff

Ozbuff Member

I'd love to land him, but don't see it happening. He has a good thing going at Louisville and I think he'll be there for at least another year or two.

25. buffedup

buffedup Club Member Club Member

One of the ugliest human beings of all time.

26. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Club Member Club Member

E.T. has been, and always will be, a Rocket!
    [​IMG]

But back on topic...my only concern is would the hire be viewed as "done under pressure from Mac" or "to placate Mac", or because Strong is a damn good coach who we were lucky to get?

27. buff4bcs1985

buff4bcs1985 Hail to the King Club Member

fify

[​IMG]

Highlander and Lt.Col.FrankSlade like this.
  28. cubuffs11

cubuffs11 Club Member Club Member

alien00.jpg

29. KingPants

KingPants Club Member Club Member

This would be considered such a good hire for CU. No chance anyone thinks that we hired Strong for pity, more likely that he came here out of some sort of pity.

30. Lt.Col.FrankSlade

Lt.Col.FrankSlade Well-Known Member

Recent Henderson tweet: