1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chris Fowler weighs in

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by BinaryBuff, Nov 28, 2012.

1. BinaryBuff

BinaryBuff mmmm...beer Club Member

SIAP, but I thought this deserved it's own thread. Some great thoughts from Fowler regarding the program (claims of racism, hiring/firing Embree, criteria for the next HC, ...)
    http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=8685986

2. NW Buff

NW Buff Club Member Club Member

Cannot listen at work... Any chance for a summary?

3. CenturyBuff

CenturyBuff Member

Classic! I just started listening to it and Maisel comes out with:

4. BinaryBuff

There's a ton here, well worth the listen later, but a brief recap:

- discussed Mac's comments, said they were "unfortunate" and "damning", went into Mac's convictions
    - Thought there was zero basis for claims of racism, team's performance was dismal. Briefly touched on Mac's start compared to Embree's and said Mac's was an exception, didn't see any inkling of a turnaround from Embree
    - talked about Embree making the jump from NFL TE coach to HC at CU "doesn't equate". Thought that he shouldn't have been given that responsibility, some blame goes to Bohn for that.
    - talked about Hawkins getting a 5th, not making same mistake by keeping Embree too long
    - talked about coaching search, about going from "outside the family" to "in the family", referenced Alabama making similar mistakes. His point was to NOT limit the coaching search with arbitrary criteria. Said you have to find the best guy.
    - Said Bohn might have been forced into hiring Embree.
    - hasn't been that long since CU has won, we'll be back if we hire the right guy

I'm sure there's more that I've missed...

TimmyDUBs likes this.
  5. boydbuff

boydbuff Club Member Club Member

This is great. Objective ESPN people taking a balanced view. Eliminated race (completely false is Fowler's statement) and mostly recognized Embree was way in over his head.

I love that Fowler speaks well of CU after all. Says it pains him to see how bad they are. He is convinced they can turn this around and w/i 5 years there will be no blowouts at half time.

6. CarolinaBuff

CarolinaBuff Weekend Poster Club Member

Sounds like some great insight by Fowler, I'll have to try and listen when I get a chance.

7. CenturyBuff

CenturyBuff Member

Just a couple of tidbits I picked up on:

-Clearly denies the race angle
    -Questions whether JE should have been given the job, brings up he was a TE coach in the NFL
    -States basically, "When you limit your head coaching search pool to those only those within the family, it's a bad idea. It didn't work for Alabama."
    -Basically, "Hawk was a spectacular failure, didn't connect with the Buffs. So what are you gonna do, you're gonna go back within the family, dial back the clock a couple of decades and try to relive the glory days."
    -Questions whether Bohn was forced into hiring someone in the family. Wonders about whether the parameters of the search were forced upon him.
    -Also says basically, "Do you want to make the same mistake twice? (Giving JE an extra year, a la giving Hawk the extra year)"

Last edited: Nov 28, 2012
  8. BuffNut99

BuffNut99 Club Member Club Member

I love Fowler. He doesn't talk about CU much, but he cares, he's respected, and he's logical.

9. buff4bcs1985

buff4bcs1985 Hail to the King

talk about hawkins extra year... which they had to give him due to financial restraints

10. Alfred91

Alfred91 Club Member Club Member

I loved the Fowler interview. I've never heard him as fired up as he was in this.

11. BlackNGold

BlackNGold Club Member Club Member

It is a must listen. A very balanced perspective. Something that is missing at the moment.

12. CVilleBuff

CVilleBuff Club Member Club Member

Great to hear him finally speak up and say the right things about the Buffs at such a crucial moment. We're going to get this turned around.

13. krom

krom Club Member Club Member

This should confirm that level-headed, truly objective perspectives are seeing the same things we are. And that folks "too close to the situation" as Vic stated cannot really see what has happened. They cannot get past their own objectives, relationships and motivations.

Edit: The national perspective is not the same as the local Denver media's. The BCA chairman stated that the record spoke for itself, Speaking A Smith said as much, Fowler, Ivan Maisel, etc.

14. buffedup

buffedup Cooler than a Popsicle Stand. Club Member

We hassle Fowler sometimes for not being a Rah Rah guy, but he stepped up when it was crucial.

15. Lt.Col.FrankSlade

Lt.Col.FrankSlade Well-Known Member

Great podcast. Fowler and Maisel were spot on.

16. GoonieBuff

GoonieBuff Not really Club Member

I wish Fowler would chime in more often.

17. CenturyBuff

CenturyBuff Member

This.

I say again, Maisel says "charges of racism, which I can't even say with a straight face."

18. BuffAlum2007

BuffAlum2007 Well-Known Member

Great listen...Fowler is a Buff through and through...

19. SuperiorBuff

SuperiorBuff Well-Known Member

Oh, but he isn't a true Buff, he didn't play and isn't qualified to comment.

20. thomsonmi

thomsonmi New Member

Thanks for posting this. Chris Fowler provided some intelligent, rationale insight on the situation. Well worth listening too.

21. SportsPen

SportsPen New Member

We are all so close to this situation that it is refreshing to get a national view. CU is like a bad sitcom right now and the most embarrassing actors are the former Buffs themselves.

22. CenturyBuff

CenturyBuff Member

Maisel's article is up

http://espn.go.com/college-football...oubles-leave-plenty-blame-go-college-football

Love this part:

MiamiBuffs likes this.
  23. duaneallman8

duaneallman8 Member

Fowler goes out of his way to stay as unbiased as possible so as to be seen as credible. He may not be completely objective but I respect that he is one of a very small percentage at ESPN that cares about some kind of journalistic credibility.

24. BuffUp

BuffUp W.T.T.F. Club Member

About time we hear from some national / local level heads

25. CenturyBuff

CenturyBuff Member

Regarding Maisel's article:

He also states JE told Cabral (& GB) they would not return (ie. you're fired). Where is their chance to turn it around? 2 years is long enough for them though??? Oh wait, Cabral has been with this program how long?? Cabral has given this program more than almost everybody--and JE was going to dump him? I don't recall Cabral pulling out and heading to UCLA (with recruits?!)

The Cabral issue is not getting enough run-- Brian, you sir, have my utmost respect, my thanks to you are not enough!

boulder77 likes this.
  26. buffsblg

buffsblg Member

Fowler has a sense of history of this program as well as a perspective that Williams and Klatt and CJ and Mac cannot bring. He has no dog in this fight except as an observer who watched this team stink it up over and over and over. The team quit on Embree and he knew it and this after the fact excuse making is garbage.

27. MiamiBuffs

MiamiBuffs Wᴉɐɯᴉ qnɟɟs Club Member

:rofl:

Rep

28. CarolinaBuff

CarolinaBuff Weekend Poster Club Member

Of course Klatt essentially dismissed what Fowler said this morning because he says Fowler has not been around Boulder or the program in quite some time. Whatever Joel.

29. BinaryBuff

Klatt - the most informed of all Buffs.
    Fowler - what's he know about college football or the Buffs anyway?

30. dply

dply Doble hoja Club Member

And Cabral has almost as many wins as Embree over the last three years.