What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Christian McCaffery blows of Stanford bowl game

Keller Chryst just left the game, with what looked like a pretty bad knee injury. Tough break for the kid, but exactly what McCaffrey wanted to avoid.

Wanting to avoid a major injury on a **** field right before you become a professional RB is a "total bitch move" doe!

Keller Chryst just left the game, with what looked like a pretty bad knee injury. Tough break for the kid, but exactly what McCaffrey wanted to avoid.

Bitch move by McCaffrey they said. He owes it to his stanford teammates and fans to play they said.

Do you think they should just do away with bowl games?

Because where you're coming from here leads directly to an argument that Chryst shouldn't have played. Stanford's counting on him in a big way for the 2017 season and him playing put the entire next season in jeopardy with that injury.

Last edited:

Because where you're coming from here leads directly to an argument that Chryst shouldn't have played. Stanford's counting on him in a big way for the 2017 season and him playing put the entire next season in jeopardy with that injury.
I imagine Chryst is pretty pissed off right now, but me personally, I don't care. I'm simply advocating for the players to be able to make their own decisions without the backlash and vitriol from other players, fans and media members.

Last edited by a moderator:

Taking it further, why should any player worth a damn even bother putting on the uniform if the season isn't going as they wanted? Out of contention for your conference? Sit out. Out of contention for the playoff? Sit out. Out of contention for a bowl game? Sit out.

I get that injuries suck and people have lost careers due to them, but I think that's going down a pretty ****ty road.

Taking it further, why should any player worth a damn even bother putting on the uniform if the season isn't going as they wanted? Out of contention for your conference? Sit out. Out of contention for the playoff? Sit out. Out of contention for a bowl game? Sit out.

I get that injuries suck and people have lost careers due to them, but I think that's going down a pretty ****ty road.
All very true, but a reality that the NCAA and fans of college football face.

All very true, but a reality that the NCAA and fans of college football face.

well players have to think of the consequences as well. I don't really care about McCaffrey sitting out because I don't really care about Stanford's well being.

However, I do care about the Miami Dolphins. And if I'm the GM, I have some shred of doubt about the guy now. So if he's sitting there in the 2nd or 3rd round where I may have grabbed him, I'm probably looking at someone else and going in that direction unless he's clearly the best player.

I imagine Chryst is pretty pissed off right now, but me personally, I don't care. I'm simply advocating for the players to be able to make their own decisions without the backlash and vitriol from other players, fans and media members.

*Certain players. Let's be clear about that, otherwise you ARE saying any and all players should sit.

well players have to think of the consequences as well. I don't really care about McCaffrey sitting out because I don't really care about Stanford's well being.

However, I do care about the Miami Dolphins. And if I'm the GM, I have some shred of doubt about the guy now. So if he's sitting there in the 2nd or 3rd round where I may have grabbed him, I'm probably looking at someone else and going in that direction unless he's clearly the best player.
I think that's also where our opinions differ. I do not really think NFL GMs care about it or consider it a character flaw. A few might, but all it takes is one to not care whatsoever and draft the player.

*Certain players. Let's be clear about that, otherwise you ARE saying any and all players should sit.
From a practical standpoint, yes, I feel this way about certain players who have a high draft grade and stand to make a lot of money. From a fundamental standpoint, I'm simply on "team player". If Joe Williams can quit on his team because he wasn't playing, and then come back and be praised as some kind of redemption story, then I believe any player should be able to make similar decisions based on what they believe to be right for their futures.

I don't think it leads there. McCaffrey was done at Stanford, he has the luxury of sitting out because the coach can't really do anything about it. When you're a scholarship player expecting to come back the next season, sitting out a game to avoid injury could result in a lost scholarship, loss of playing time, or at least some time in the dog house. Harder to make that move if you have to look your teammates in the face the following season.

I think that's also where our opinions differ. I do not really think NFL GMs care about it or consider it a character flaw. A few might, but all it takes is one to not care whatsoever and draft the player.

If you can play, there's a job for you in the NFL.

From a practical standpoint, yes, I feel this way about certain players who have a high draft grade and stand to make a lot of money. From a fundamental standpoint, I'm simply on "team player". If Joe Williams can quit on his team because he wasn't playing, and then come back and be praised as some kind of redemption story, then I believe any player should be able to make similar decisions based on what they believe to be right for their futures.

I am all for the players doing what they want, but it is a bit disingenuous to say everybody needs to praise them for any decision they make. The good ones can handle the heat regardless.

(It is funny how the sentiment for the players generally flips in the NFL)

I don't know any GMs so you may be right. Is that really worth the risk, though? If I sit out this one game I avoid the minuscule chance of a career ending injury, but I also might turn off every single GM/coach except one. I suppose he just has to ask his agent and they can probably advise best, but I'd certainly be questioning his love of the game, drive to succeed, drive to be a good teammate, etc.

I mean if you're the Browns GM, are you drafting a guy that essentially quits on his team when things go bad? Their best players should've been sitting out for like 10 weeks now.

Bama and OSU players should just sit out as many game's as they want, Because the are just farm team's for the NFL.

I don't know any GMs so you may be right. Is that really worth the risk, though? If I sit out this one game I avoid the minuscule chance of a career ending injury, but I also might turn off every single GM/coach except one. I suppose he just has to ask his agent and they can probably advise best, but I'd certainly be questioning his love of the game, drive to succeed, drive to be a good teammate, etc.

I mean if you're the Browns GM, are you drafting a guy that essentially quits on his team when things go bad? Their best players should've been sitting out for like 10 weeks now.
I've already heard some chatter that some won't pick him because he didn't play. Only takes one team to draft ya though but some are gonna pass.

Parcheesi is a game. Tic-Tac-Toe is a game.

Football is so much more than just a game. There is passion, commitment, life long fanatics. Football is a way of life.

It's a common bond that have brought you and me and everyone else reading this together.

Not get emotional about football? Pfffft.
YDTYFSE.
Someone doesn't take his Parcheesi seriously enough.

I've already heard some chatter that some won't pick him because he didn't play. Only takes one team to draft ya though but some are gonna pass.
All they have to do now is not announce it and pull a Peppers. Pulled hammy leading up to the bowl game = not a quitter.

Last edited:
All I know is that I heard more than one media "insider" say that they had talked to NFL execs who had dropped McCaffrey and Fournette because of their choices.

Whether or not those guys know what they're taking about is always up for debate, but there is that.

All I know is that I heard more than one media "insider" say that they had talked to NFL execs who had dropped McCaffrey and Fournette because of their choices.

Whether or not those guys know what they're taking about is always up for debate, but there is that.
Should've gone the Peppers route and faked an injury.

Back