1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

coaches hot seat website

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by unbiasedtruth, Aug 10, 2008.

1. unbiasedtruth

unbiasedtruth Well-Known Member

anyone ever visit this site?

http://www.coacheshotseat.com/

found it from a blog on ESPN and an article talking how former OU assistants Mike Stoops and Chuck Long are out after the 2008 season (no surprises) as head coaches...

2. Cornh8er

Cornh8er Well-Known Member

I have a family friend trying to play QB at SDSU, that hopes their coach gets fired

3. unbiasedtruth

I was tired of him being the OC under Stoops from about the 4th or 5th game into the 2004 season. He would call the same plays over and over depending on field position, down and yardage to go for a 1st down. I wish he would do better as a HC, but I really didnt think he is HC material, let alone OC material. Kevin Wilson is almost as bad these days. Way to predictable.

4. BIGREDIOWAN

BIGREDIOWAN Well-Known Member

I've been on that website a few times. It's neat to see what the coaches make compared to other coaches. Look at how much Kirk Ferentz is being paid compared to other coaches and tell me that's not ridiculous! There are only 6 people on that list paid higher than him and they are very good coaches, minus Charlie Weis.

5. Mick Ronson

Mick Ronson Well-Known Member

Greg Robinson has been stealing the money since day 1.

6. Mick Ronson

Ferentz had a pretty nice run in the early 00's but they've been real average the last 2-3 years and off the field stuff is starting to accumulate.

7. Keesy9

Keesy9 New Member

How do they have a full copy of Hawks contract?

8. CarolinaBuff

CarolinaBuff Weekend Poster Club Member

He should definitely be higher than #5 on that list. He's gonna have to show significant improvement this year to keep his job.

9. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

Robinson should be #1 on that list. No way he survives past this season. I think Ferentz survives, simply because he is making a lot of money right now and the buyout would be huge.

The name that stuck out to me is Mike Price. Is UTEP really going to be able to do better than him?

10. BuffThat

BuffThat Member

I wouldn't say a nice run, maybe a nice run for most coaches, but at the time he was the highest paid coach in fb and they had decent finishes, but when you play 2 MAC schools and Iowa State that should be a given, especially in the Big Ten.

He's 38-34 in the B10 as the head coach, he's had two seasons in nine where they've won more than 5 B10 games, 3-3 in bowls, 2 B10 co-titles, finished top 25 on 3 times. It's not awful, or even bad, but for the amount of money they're paying him, they should expect A LOT more from him.

11. Lt.Col.FrankSlade

Lt.Col.FrankSlade Well-Known Member

Open records act request, probably.

12. BIGREDIOWAN

BIGREDIOWAN Well-Known Member

I definately agree with you and with all the off the field issues going on there right now you have to wonder if he'll be there much longer.

13. Mick Ronson

i'll play devil's advocate, Ferentz went 31-7 from 02-04. that's pretty good IMO. i think that's a "nice run". the losses to ISU seem weird but the little ag bro rivalry thing is something we can understand.

i have a buddy who is an Iowa fan and his general pissing is that they/the AD wavered when they could have brought home Bobby Stoops to Iowa City in 1999. they waffled and OU made the offer.

14. Lt.Col.FrankSlade

Lt.Col.FrankSlade Well-Known Member

That is interesting -- at the time that Bob Stoops was hired most Sooners fans were VERY disappointed in the hire. All they knew about Bob Stoops was that he had been the DC at Kansas State and at Florida.

They were very enamored with the then head coach at Georgia, Jim Donnan, and even had more than a passing fancy at Gary Barnett.

I will never forget one of the local radio personalities saying "This is the University of Oklahoma, we are not going to stoop for a coach like Stoops."

15. Mick Ronson

i thought they were going to hire Francione from TCU, to be honest. Donnan was an OC under Switzer in the 80's, so that was his nostalgia appeal. my step dad is a Norman lawyer and big OU guy (his brother played for OU)....and i think he liked the Stoops hire.

Barney could have had any job in the country after playing SC in the Rose Bowl. the next couple years took some lustre off him. if you remember, Kubiak was our first choice and then backed out.

16. unbiasedtruth

I liked the Bob Stoops hire from day 1. Anyone, even you Lt. or myself, would have been a better coach than the previous 4 years of under blake and schellenberger. I believe Stoops was just a year or two removed from winning the MNC at Florida under Spurrier, he also started coaching under Hayden Fry as a grad assistant at Iowa, and Hayden Fry was no slouch of a HC.

And I am sure that are quite a few radio, tv and newspaper personalities that are eating their words today. That is why they are in print or on the air, because all they can do is try to fluff up styories to improve his or her ratings. And most, if not all the on air, or in print personalities in and around Norman are just a bunch a hot air being let out when they talk. That is all except my classmate and good friend BB Jr.

17. iggy

iggy Member

i would kill for bob stoops at CU in 2001. But now we have his kryptonite.

18. Duff Man

He was very close to taking the Texas job before some AD politics intervened and Mack Brown was hired.

19. BehindEnemyLines

BehindEnemyLines beware the habu Club Member

There's an interesting thought - what if the hires were reversed? Stoops at texass and MackieB in norman.

20. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

Surprised nobody's mentioned #2 on that list - Joe Glenn. I don't understand that at all. Wyoming is a very, VERY tough place to recruit to. Laramie sucks. It's about the size of Louisville. That's Louisville, Colorado. No, seriously, there's about 25,000 people in the entire city of Laramie, and there's no other cities nearby, either. The weather sucks, and their athletic budget is non-existent. I think Glenn has done an admirable job considering the problems he's had to face.

21. Duff Man

I was talking about Barnett.

22. unbiasedtruth

shudders, cold chills running up and down the spine..... and about blew my dinner all over this monitor.... :smile2:

those are not good thoughts, no good no way no how.....:lol:

23. Duff Man

He has made one bowl game. No matter where you're coaching, you have to do better than that in four years. Yeah, there are a lot of disadvantages at Wyoming, but that program has churned out some great coaches in the past so the standards are higher than you would think. Plus they actually pretty decent facilities with all the oil/gas money.

24. rynobuff

rynobuff Club Member Club Member

The one I don't understand is Brewster. Didn't he just get there and isn't he recruiting very well right now. I don't think he is on the hot seat quite yet.

25. BuffThat

BuffThat Member

akron, miami (oh) x2, iowa st x2, utah st, buffalo, kent st, that's 8 wins right there against crap teams.

like i said. you can't say he's been bad there at all, but when you're the highest paid coach in america, or one of the top 3/5, you should have more than just 3 good years in 9.

that's my beef with him. meanwhile a guy like mark richt doesn't get nearly the attention that ferentz does, nor the money initially and is arguably the 3rd/4th best coach in america right now.

26. BuffThat

BuffThat Member

and more than half of d1 goes to bowl games :)

27. BehindEnemyLines

BehindEnemyLines beware the habu Club Member

What??? You no likey MackieB????

28. jgisland

jgisland Club Member Club Member

Anybody know why hawkins contract is structured this way? 160k base salary, then 490k for his agreement to be in television and radio appearances requested by CU, and then 200k for the Nike sponsorship support? I am sure this isn't a unique college football contract, but interesting to know why it is as it is.

29. unbiasedtruth

no I like him just fine, especially where he is head coach...... :wink2: :lol:

30. BuffThat

BuffThat Member

most are like this, because MOST coaches are state employees and most state's put a max on "salaries", so coaches get guarantees from the "media" partners (learfield in cu's case), throw money in for appearances etc to entice them.

i don't know if this is the case at colorado, but in west virginia state employees can't have multi-year contracts, so head coaches have their contracts that are guaranteed multi-year by the scholarship foundations (big green at mu, or mountaineer club at wvu), so there's some stability there and the school doesn't ditch them after a year.