What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Coaching Staff

yea the Mike Gundy thing is weird. Supposedly what we hear is T Bone does not get along with him and every year is his last. I agree, I don't see him leaving there. Where would he go? He is an osu lifer.

Well, if CU can somehow pull Mike Gundy from OSU, that's the slam dunk best candidate. I don't think that's even remotely possible.
We’re not going to poach him (i.e. buy him out), but that marriage with OSU seems to be a little shaky. He’s on my list only in the event he and OSU have a mutual parting of ways I would hope CU was all over him.

We’re not going to poach him (i.e. buy him out), but that marriage with OSU seems to be a little shaky. He’s on my list only in the event he and OSU have a mutual parting of ways I would hope CU was all over him.
That makes a little more sense. I know the frustration over the offense is very high right now in Stillwater, but I don't see it happening.

I generally agree with the rest of your list. I don't think Venables wants to be a HC, at least for anyone other than K State, and I would guess that Aranda is shortlisted for any NFL job that's available next year. Chip Long and Neal Brown are very intriguing to me. Along those lines, how do we feel about Mike Elko?

That makes a little more sense. I know the frustration over the offense is very high right now in Stillwater, but I don't see it happening.

I generally agree with the rest of your list. I don't think Venables wants to be a HC, at least for anyone other than K State, and I would guess that Aranda is shortlisted for any NFL job that's available next year. Chip Long and Neal Brown are very intriguing to me. Along those lines, how do we feel about Mike Elko?

How is it possible that two of the top defensive coordinators in the game both seem to consider K State their dream job? I mean I understand fond feelings for a place, but that's not a good job.

How is it possible that two of the top defensive coordinators in the game both seem to consider K State their dream job? I mean I understand fond feelings for a place, but that's not a good job.

Admissions standards? Faculty support? PE as a major?

I agree, but he's the Kyle Whittingham of the Big 12-you hear a lot about him leaving (he's flirted with Tennessee a couple times I think) but he never actually does.

I agree, but he's the Kyle Whittingham of the Big 12-you hear a lot about him leaving (he's flirted with Tennessee a couple times I think) but he never actually does.
You might be right, but that act may be wearing thin for T Boone and the administration. When your girl is constantly flirting with other dudes eventually you might dump her even if she’s hot.

Or Pickens might just think that 1 conference title in 14 years isn’t a sufficient return on his investment particularly now that Oklahoma and Texas seem to have found really good, young coaches. We’ll see I guess.

You might be right, but that act may be wearing thin for T Boone and the administration. When your girl is constantly flirting with other dudes eventually you might dump her even if she’s hot.

Or Pickens might just think that 1 conference title in 14 years isn’t a sufficient return on his investment particularly now that Oklahoma and Texas seem to have found really good, young coaches. We’ll see I guess.

Yes-I think the difference there is OSU has a sugar daddy in T. Boone and I don't know if Utah does (and I think that's got something to do with a new AD in Salt Lake). Agree with you with respect to Gundy-if he becomes available, he's instantly the leader in the clubhouse. As far as some of your other candidates:

What's the buyout for Babers?
With Venables, why haven't we heard more about him becoming a head coach already?
With Miles and Aranda, who would be the OC there? Both guys have LSU ties (Aranda still works there), and we've seen how effective they are offensively. If we're getting Larry Fedora or somebody like that as an offensive coordinator, thats something I'd get behind.
I like Chip Long, and I like Neal Brown (my guess is he winds up in the SEC or ACC depending on what happens there-Louisville?).

Last edited:
After Embree was fired who were the names linked to CU? All I can remember were MacIntyre and Butch Jones, neither of which were all that successful relatively speaking. Did any of the other coaches considered ever do anything?

not a Tedford fan huh?
I’m not against him per se, but figured I had enough retreads on my list and I worry about his health preventing him from being the same hungry guy he was at Cal (workaholic, sleeping in his office type). He also had a really bad reputation when it came to graduating players. Small things and maybe he’d be great, but I had to cut the list somewhere.

I’m not against him per se, but figured I had enough retreads on my list and I worry about his health preventing him from being the same hungry guy he was at Cal (workaholic, sleeping in his office type). He also had a really bad reputation when it came to graduating players. Small things and maybe he’d be great, but I had to cut the list somewhere.

He did take Fresno from 1-11 to 10-4 in a year.....the MWC is trash, sure............but just putting that out there.

Yes-I think the difference there is OSU has a sugar daddy in T. Boone and I don't know if Utah does (and I think that's got something to do with a new AD in Salt Lake).

Eccles and Huntsman families.

They may not be as closely tied to athletics as Pickens, but it is Eccles Stadium and Huntsman Arena.

John Huntsman, Sr., who passed away this year, was worth twice what Pickens is worth.

Yeah there are definitely negatives on him. I'd love to hear from Cal fans what they think of him a few years out now.

One thing that bothers me is he was a notorious QB whisperer type, but after Aaron Rodgers it seemed like they just had a ton of issues at the QB position and guys didn't seem to get better. That Nate Longshore guy seemed to be there forever and was pretty meh. He did have a pretty amazing run prior to that with Akili Smith, Joey Harrington, and Aaron Rodgers, though.

I didn't follow Cal overly closely, but it seemed like he had them really humming, they were ranked top 2? at some point, then dropped a game to Oregon St if memory serves and just kind of fell apart.

I should add: Fresno QB McMaryion has improved quite a bit under Tedford.

CAREER STATS
SEASONCMPATTYDSCMP%YPALNGTDINTSACKRATRAW QBRADJ QBR
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Eccles and Huntsman families.

They may not be as closely tied to athletics as Pickens, but it is Eccles Stadium and Huntsman Arena.

John Huntsman, Sr., who passed away this year, was worth twice what Pickens is worth.

Forgot about the Huntsmans-but I don't think they're anywhere near as tied into Utah athletics as Pickens is to Okie State-Isn't Jon Jr. ambassador to Russia right now?

If Tedford wanted the job, I'd take him in a heartbeat over most of the names thrown around. But after how Cal ended, I think he might prefer what he has at Fresno State (and might be best for him).

Venables had a chance to be HC @ KSU when Bill Snyder retired in 2005 and stayed at Oklahoma. Ron Prince was hired by KSU. 3 years later after RP was fired at KSU, people close to OU just knew Brent was headed to KSU and again politely told KSU no thanks. Bill Snyder returns. Now that Brent is at Clemson I dont know if he leaves there. Like @ OU I think he likes being DC @ Clemson for now.

Gumby is not having fun @ OSU this year, not because of the drop off of the teams performance, rather he took a lot of heat from the school, boosters and fans over his trip to Tennessee showing interest in the HC position @ Tennessee. No wrestling singlets worn, or refs jerseys or other antics. Doesnt look comfortable on the sidelines or pressers.. He is set for life and it wouldnt surprise me if he stepped away from coaching a few years, like some other coaches, on his terms. I dont know if his son is graduating from Stoolwater High this year too.

Last edited:
Adam Gase should be available. He would be an intriguing option

ehh, I'm a Dolphins fan and I don't think he's losing his job this year. He's only 21-20 as the coach, but that's also with Tannehill being out half of his tenure. If Mac wants to cry about injuries, he might want to take a gander at what the Dolphins are dealing with.

Plus if we hate Chev's lateral passing game, we'd really hate Gase as HC. I'm not even sure they're different people.

I have posted this many times over the years - probably since McCartney retired.

In my opinion a head coaching candidate for CU needs to meet the following criteria:

1. Be an elite recruiter - not just good - elite.
2. Has spent time as a coordinator at a successful P5 program.
3. Has spent time working under (being mentored) by a top P5 coach.
4. Has spent at least 10 years as an assistant coach. Needs to have seen the ups and downs of coaching.

Nice to have criteria - but not a deal breaker.
1. Engaging personality that plays well with the public.
2. Some HC experience.

Over the years, guys that have checked off 1, 2 and 3 have had a lot of success at CU and other schools.

Hiring the hot name usually does not work out - Hawkins, Rich Rod at Michigan, Lane Kiffin everywhere.

I have posted this many times over the years - probably since McCartney retired.

In my opinion a head coaching candidate for CU needs to meet the following criteria:

1. Be an elite recruiter - not just good - elite.
2. Has spent time as a coordinator at a successful P5 program.
3. Has spent time working under (being mentored) by a top P5 coach.
4. Has spent at least 10 years as an assistant coach. Needs to have seen the ups and downs of coaching.

Nice to have criteria - but not a deal breaker.
1. Engaging personality that plays well with the public.
2. Some HC experience.

Over the years, guys that have checked off 1, 2 and 3 have had a lot of success at CU and other schools.

Hiring the hot name usually does not work out - Hawkins, Rich Rod at Michigan, Lane Kiffin everywhere.
I think there are a number of candidates that meet your "must have" criteria. Jimmy Lake definitely checks each box, as does Tosh Lupoi. I don't know enough about their personalities to know if they meet #1 on your "nice to have" list and obviously neither have HC experience. I know some people hate the idea of Lupoi, but he's going to be a HC in the near future, and he's probably going to be candidate #1 within the next few years. I assume he's done some growing up over the years and would absolutely love the idea of having arguably the best recruiter in the country at CU.

AllBuffs, November 2018:

Poster 1: I like X for our next HC, he would do a great job.

Poster 2: Are you a moron? X would run CU into the ground. If you didn't like Hawkins, you'd hate X! The only real answer to our problems is Y!

Poster 3: Y is worse than X. If X or Y gets hired, I'm cancelling my season tickets.

Duff: Jimmy Lake.

Forgot about the Huntsmans-but I don't think they're anywhere near as tied into Utah athletics as Pickens is to Okie State-Isn't Jon Jr. ambassador to Russia right now?
John Jr was back stateside getting cancer treatment recently. Not sure if he is going back. Rice, Huntsman and Romney’s all having active interest in Utah with Sorenson’s also involved on academic giving. Utah has donors if need is there, and their facilities have been actively improving since they came to PAC.

AllBuffs, November 2018:

Poster 1: I like X for our next HC, he would do a great job.

Poster 2: Are you a moron? X would run CU into the ground. If you didn't like Hawkins, you'd hate X! The only real answer to our problems is Y!

Poster 3: Y is worse than X. If X or Y gets hired, I'm cancelling my season tickets.

Duff: Jimmy Lake.
I just wish the P12 would schedule more night games.....

Back