What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

College Basketball News, Rumor and Humor

I agree with Doug on this (his point, not his tone or level of annoyance). It's a different sport, so it's not breaking a record. For example, we look at all time wins by CBB coaches as separate lists for men & women.
I agree,

Women don't need to be compared to the men to validate their game. Comparing records be it team or individual diminishes their achievements and talents.

Just appreciate what the women do on their own merits.

I agree,

Women don't need to be compared to the men to validate their game. Comparing records be it team or individual diminishes their achievements and talents.

Just appreciate what the women do on their own merits.

I enjoy watching Caitlyn Clark play basketball. I can't say I like her attitude sometimes, but she is really freaking special. Like Jokic special. And she's going to tear it up in the WNBA, because her game will translate.

Having said all that, ESPN and other sports outlets' obsession with creating comparisons across divisions, genders, and even eras drives me nuts. This is no different than talking about modern baseball players having all these postseason records when players of 100 years ago had nothing but the World Series and now a guy could potentially play 22 games in one postseason.

It's different. Times change. Rules change. Quality of competition changes. Men's basketball in the 70s should not be compared to women's basketball in the 2020s. On multiple levels. It's dumb. Pistol Pete was amazing. There will never be anyone quite like him. Caitlin Clark is amazing. There will never be anyone quite like her. Let's celebrate both (well Pete's memory) and leave it there.

I enjoy watching Caitlyn Clark play basketball. I can't say I like her attitude sometimes, but she is really freaking special. Like Jokic special. And she's going to tear it up in the WNBA, because her game will translate.

Having said all that, ESPN and other sports outlets' obsession with creating comparisons across divisions, genders, and even eras drives me nuts. This is no different than talking about modern baseball players having all these postseason records when players of 100 years ago had nothing but the World Series and now a guy could potentially play 22 games in one postseason.

It's different. Times change. Rules change. Quality of competition changes. Men's basketball in the 70s should not be compared to women's basketball in the 2020s. On multiple levels. It's dumb. Pistol Pete was amazing. There will never be anyone quite like him. Caitlin Clark is amazing. There will never be anyone quite like her. Let's celebrate both (well Pete's memory) and leave it there.
Agree completely.

And the way you honor the greatness of a Caitlyn Clark is not to compare her to men but rather to honor the game she plays by using her accomplishments to highlight those of some of the amazing women players who she has now statistically passed, and who have earned the dignity of being remembered as the ones who set the marks in the women's game.

Had to happen.

As does Stanford moving on from Haase (if they finally pull the trigger.)

I also wonder about Hurley at ASU.

Tinkle, I think, survives because of that postseason run several years ago and the financial uncertainty of OSU.
Hurley will be at DePaul next year.

Hurley will be at DePaul next year.
I had heard that and it made sense to me except for how close the Hurley family is. I question whether he will take a job where he and Danny have to play each other twice a year. Other than that, it makes total sense.

And Pistol Pete played before the 3 point line and the shot clock.
Which is one reason it's impossible to compare stat records across eras in the same sport. Let alone when you're comparing different leagues played by different people with different rules from different eras and different season lengths.

I just recognize it as the silliness of media spinning a story to grab the most spotlight it can. Pete was an all-time special player. Caitlin is an all-time special player. And people are making too much of this forced comparison - whether it's to believe in it or get offended by it. FWIW, Caitlin has had a greater college career than Pete considering his LSU teams never made the NCAA tournament and you have to discount his stats since he set his scoring records in an SEC that was mostly segregated.

I agree with Doug on this (his point, not his tone or level of annoyance). It's a different sport, so it's not breaking a record. For example, we look at all time wins by CBB coaches as separate lists for men & women.
I think the men's and women's games being played today are more similar than the men's game being played today and the men's game being played when Pistol Pete was around.

I don't think anyone would be keeping this same energy if a men's player was breaking Maravich's record.

Clark passed Steph Curry for most 3 point shots made in a season last night. Is that comparable?

Lots of Twitter people, especially UConn fans say Clark can't be a goat because she's not won a natty. She decided to stay home and help her in state team try to win a natty. She isn't surrounded by the type of players like she would have been had she gone to UConn.

She had a bad night last: 24 points, 10 rebounds and 7 assists. Also 6 turnovers. Her teammates stepped up. Penn State tried to stop Clark and let the others shoot. The rest of the team did quite well, especially considering one starter is on crutches.

I think the men's and women's games being played today are more similar than the men's game being played today and the men's game being played when Pistol Pete was around.

I don't think anyone would be keeping this same energy if a men's player was breaking Maravich's record.
Depends. If someone did it while being in the same ballpark as Pete's 44 ppg, I guess it becomes more relevant. But a player who did that and stayed in college long enough to score 3 seasons worth of points would likely be a lower division player and certainly not be in a Big Six conference.

Antoine Davis was real close to breaking Pete's record just a year ago at Detroit Mercy. Ended up 3 points short. Wasn't a big story because: smaller school, 5 years of 25 ppg vs 3 years of 44 ppg, etc.

Clark passed Steph Curry for most 3 point shots made in a season last night. Is that comparable?

Lots of Twitter people, especially UConn fans say Clark can't be a goat because she's not won a natty. She decided to stay home and help her in state team try to win a natty. She isn't surrounded by the type of players like she would have been had she gone to UConn.

She had a bad night last: 24 points, 10 rebounds and 7 assists. Also 6 turnovers. Her teammates stepped up. Penn State tried to stop Clark and let the others shoot. The rest of the team did quite well, especially considering one starter is on crutches.
I didn't even know that Steph had a record for that.

I didn't either. Clark didn't score a 3 until the 3rd quarter. She was totally off on her 3 point shot.

But I would love that stat line from any of our players, yet she had a bad game.

Depends. If someone did it while being in the same ballpark as Pete's 44 ppg, I guess it becomes more relevant. But a player who did that and stayed in college long enough to score 3 seasons worth of points would likely be a lower division player and certainly not be in a Big Six conference.

Antoine Davis was real close to breaking Pete's record just a year ago at Detroit Mercy. Ended up 3 points short. Wasn't a big story because: smaller school, 5 years of 25 ppg vs 3 years of 44 ppg, etc.
I think I overstated a bit.

The discussion would, and should be had to compare eras etc.

It just sucks that too many of the "Cailin Clark ain't no Pistol Pete" takes come from mouths of "I'd pull down 20 rebounds in a game in the WNBA!!" couch potatoes. I don't think there'd be nearly as much energy, from some quarters, fueling this discussion if it was a men's player in any setting.

Last edited:
I think I overstated a bit.

The discussion would, and should be had to compare eras etc.

It just sucks that about too many of the "Cailin Clark ain't no Pistol Pete" takes come from mouths of "I'd pull down 20 rebounds in a game in the WNBA!!" couch potatoes. I don't think there'd be nearly as much energy, from some quarters, fueling this discussion if it was a men's player in any setting.
For sure. Feels like those who have been loud about this have a gender-biased passion. I think that for most people it's an attitude of "while you can't really compare the two, Caitlin scoring more than Pete did gives some perspective on just how great she is."

Should just get rid of the three at this point. It won't be long until the 3 pt shooting percentage equals the overall fg percentage.

Donald Glover Reaction GIF

An open 3 by a competent shooter is the second best shot in the game.

I really like Yormark. No b.s. with that guy. Just goes ahead and says out loud that everyone else only admits to behind closed doors. Of course they've done math and arrived at the number that would benefit the Power 4 the most - and he's in favor because it benefits his conference financially and with exposure/ prestige. Refreshing.

This is so typically stupid of the NCAA. Wrong and forced coaches to compromise their ethics. That said, Tad & staff better be aggressively making contact at the first opportunity.
Makes zero sense with around 2 months left in the semester, no hurry to get transfer stuff sorted.

At least with football there's an argument that the window between ccgs and bowl games makes sense for transfers on an academic calendar.

Back