What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

College Football News, Rumor & Humor

I'll never understand the refusal by institutions to make obvious things work. Why can't the Pac 12 move the North teams up so we have a matchup? Why isn't RG considering an OOC opponent for this week? We were scheduled to play a game this week, so why not continue with that plan and make it work?

I'll never understand the refusal by institutions to make obvious things work. Why can't the Pac 12 move the North teams up so we have a matchup? Why isn't RG considering an OOC opponent for this week? We were scheduled to play a game this week, so why not continue with that plan and make it work?
It has been reported elsewhere that the Leadership Council voted against a non-con game this weekend.
Mod: please delete if this is not allowed.

Now I'm even more confused. Players don't want to play this week huh?
I think we are all underestimating the mental stress this year has put on the players and rushing into another game last minute is a huge work load for them. I think that is why you are seeing so many teams opt out of bowls. They are ready to be done with the season and go spend the holidays with family.

We have been looking at all the twitter activity trying to figure out if guys are happy or not. Carson Wells is certainly happy here. He retweeted the first two and posted the third.

I think we are all underestimating the mental stress this year has put on the players and rushing into another game last minute is a huge work load for them. I think that is why you are seeing so many teams opt out of bowls. They are ready to be done with the season and go spend the holidays with family.

We have been looking at all the twitter activity trying to figure out if guys are happy or not. Carson Wells is certainly happy here. He retweeted the first two and posted the third.

I'm just confused about the team mentality. They want to practice for 2-3 more weeks and play one more game rather than practice 2-3 more weeks and play in two more games?

it's like playing a pre-season game in NFL - meaningless games have less upside (except for the reps) and great downside (injury risk)

I am about 90% confident saying the playoff will be:

#1 Alabama vs #4 ND in the Sugar Bowl
#2 Clemson vs #3 Ohio State in the Rose Bowl

I don't see it as anything more than them wanting to have family and some fans in the stands as @TSchekler said. I don't have access to the article but I heard somewhere that they were talking about a future swap where say this year 1 semifinal goes to Jerry World and in exchange the Rose Bowl will get a future semifinal in a year they weren't slated to host one.
It's a lot bigger than just having some family and friends in the stands.

Like the NFL with the super bowl the NCAA, the conferences, and the TV networks use these playoff games as opportunities to wine and dine and take care of their major sponsors. Certainly with C-19 many of those people will stay home but they want to at least have the chance to invite them and to work the ones who want to come.

Playing the game in LA was going to very likely mean no fans including sponsors and an uncomfortably high possibility that the game itself would be prevented from happening at all.

I'm just confused about the team mentality. They want to practice for 2-3 more weeks and play one more game rather than practice 2-3 more weeks and play in two more games?

Listening to Akil today it seemed like they want to be focusing on preparing for Oregon/USC and the potential to be in the Conference championship game instead of an OOC game.

As soon as the CFP was created, big bowl games became meaningless, including the nostalgia and pageantry of the "Granddaddy of them all". It's about winning the National Championship for those 4 teams, and they don't care where they play to get it done. Those teams want fans in the stands, at least friends and family, and California regulations won't allow for that right now.

What they should do is just swap the Rose for one of the others that aren't part of the CFP this year.

I don't see it as anything more than them wanting to have family and some fans in the stands as @TSchekler said. I don't have access to the article but I heard somewhere that they were talking about a future swap where say this year 1 semifinal goes to Jerry World and in exchange the Rose Bowl will get a future semifinal in a year they weren't slated to host one.
This article sums up the argument perfectly.

Staples: A chance to reform the college football bowl system once and for all
https://theathletic.com/2262074/202...owl-system-reform/?source=user_shared_article

This article sums up the argument perfectly.

Staples: A chance to reform the college football bowl system once and for all
https://theathletic.com/2262074/202...owl-system-reform/?source=user_shared_article
I’ve been saying bowls, including the Rose Bowl, are meaningless for years now. Not meaningless in every sense, as they clearly serve a purpose for more practice and a post season game against a new opponent, but for the top teams in the country, the playoff is it. Urban Meyer talked about it on Saturday pregame.

As soon as the CFP was created, big bowl games became meaningless, including the nostalgia and pageantry of the "Granddaddy of them all". It's about winning the National Championship for those 4 teams, and they don't care where they play to get it done. Those teams want fans in the stands, at least friends and family, and California regulations won't allow for that right now.

What they should do is just swap the Rose for one of the others that aren't part of the CFP this year.

This stat is somewhat coincidental as Oregon's win was back in the first year of the playoff, but it's interesting nonetheless

Back