What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Colorado v Arizona State - October 7, 4.30pm, P12N

Status
Not open for further replies.
INJURIES CONTINUE TO PILE UP

ASU's defense lost several key players due to injury Saturday, including senior MIKE linebacker Travion Brown, and junior nickel back Jordan Clark

I've watched a few ASU games this year, but by no means an expert. Frosh QB Rashada was their best QB option but he's banged up and out 4-6 weeks (maybe 2-3 weeks into that now), potentially going to redshirt him so highly doubt he'll be back this week. The Sun Devils looked the best offensively vs USC two weeks back with Pyne (ND transfer) at QB and Scattebo (RB) doing some damage on the ground. This is the main area that concerns me, if they can get 6-7 yards a rush as Scattebo was doing. They also pulled out a bunch of trick plays vs SC, many that worked. We just need to focus on us, wrap up on tackles, and get some quick passes (north, not east-west Lewis) and the ground game going. I feel like this team rides momentum, so hopefully we come out fast and don't look back. Glad it's not a night game either as those at ASU always seem tougher. Go Buffs!
Scattebo is good. Bowling ball type running back who is extremely hard to bring down. We don't tackle so well, so I think this is going to be a problem. If CU contains him then ASU seems limited from what I've seen.

Although, as mentioned above, back-up QB's are our kryponite, so third stringer will probably break half of the NCAA record book.

I will dissect the game later this week vs Cal but I wouldn't overlook ASU by any means.
They started slow obviously barely beating So. Utah. First game, new staff.
They then lost at home to OKST 27-15 in a game that statistically was even. Rashada threw a pick and ASU also turned it over on downs 4 times (ouch). Rashada was injured.

They then lost to a good Fresno State (yes, Tedford is back) team that is ranked. QB2 had to play who then got hurt and QB3 had to play who also got hurt, and they had EIGHT turnovers on the night with QB4 having to finish the game.

They then lost a competitive game vs USC at home. QB3 (Pyne, who played at Notre Dame) played. They lost the turnover battle 2-1 and the game 42-28.
USC `was up 24-21 mid 3rd quarter. That's a different scenario than our comeback.

They played Cal evenly, but lost the turnover battle 2-0 and had trouble with Cal's run game.

QB situation:
QB1 (Rashada) is out indefinitely.
QB2 is former walkon Bourquet. He also torched us last year and is pretty good. He played in 7 games last year. He's a very good QB2.
QB3 is Drew Pyne who started 10 games at Notre Dame in 2022.

I've read several posts here and on Twitter that totally dismisses ASU, and that's a mistake.
Bourquet is good to go, and he's not a superstar, but he's a capable QB.

This game can not be overlooked.

Last edited:
Buffs have to go into this one as though they’re playing a really good team. If they do that it should all work out.

They then lost a statistically EVEN game vs USC at home. QB3 (Pyne, who played at Notre Dame) played. They lost the turnover battle 2-1 and the game 42-38.

Other than the score was 42-28 and the stats were not even I agree on the turnover margin.

Final

1234T
USC14761542
ASU768728

USC Trojans
Arizona State Sun Devils
1st Downs2221
3rd down efficiency3-106-16
4th down efficiency1-23-4
Total Yards535353
Passing322263
Comp-Att20-3123-39
Yards per pass10.46.7
Interceptions thrown01
Rushing21390
Rushing Attempts2932
Yards per rush7.32.8
Penalties10-854-26
Turnovers12
Fumbles lost11
Interceptions thrown01
Possession28:1231:48

Other than the score was 42-28 and the stats were not even I agree on the turnover margin.

Final

1234T
USC14761542
ASU768728

USC Trojans
Arizona State Sun Devils
1st Downs2221
3rd down efficiency3-106-16
4th down efficiency1-23-4
Total Yards535353
Passing322263
Comp-Att20-3123-39
Yards per pass10.46.7
Interceptions thrown01
Rushing21390
Rushing Attempts2932
Yards per rush7.32.8
Penalties10-854-26
Turnovers12
Fumbles lost11
Interceptions thrown01
Possession28:1231:48
Yup. Fixed mine as I copy/pasted and forgot to edit it.

After the TCU game it looked like more of the same as far as TE production goes. Mike Harrison has been a underrated and awesome surprise.

Sean Lewis was a TE (converted QB) in college, so he has a direct appreciation for what the position can do.

The struggle is that his core philosophies on offense are to go fast and to make a defense defend the whole field. It takes a very capable TE to be on the field when they're not substituting. Basically, if it's not a TE who only subs in for short yardage packages then he's got to cause more problems for a pass defense than the 4th or 5th WR.

Mikey has shown to be that in the pass game, but doesn't do much in the run game. I think there's a huge opportunity to play immediately for a TE here who can be like Irwin was as like a 6th OL on that 10-win 2016 team. And if the guy's also got soft hands & short shuttle agility/ burst, then that would be a superstar in this O.

Sean Lewis was a TE (converted QB) in college, so he has a direct appreciation for what the position can do.

The struggle is that his core philosophies on offense are to go fast and to make a defense defend the whole field. It takes a very capable TE to be on the field when they're not substituting. Basically, if it's not a TE who only subs in for short yardage packages then he's got to cause more problems for a pass defense than the 4th or 5th WR.

Mikey has shown to be that in the pass game, but doesn't do much in the run game. I think there's a huge opportunity to play immediately for a TE here who can be like Irwin was as like a 6th OL on that 10-win 2016 team. And if the guy's also got soft hands & short shuttle agility/ burst, then that would be a superstar in this O.
Mikey just converted to TE, and I could see him adding significant mass in the off season now that he’s a TE for good. Could make a big jump by 2024.

I think we have to give Brewster some credit here. Obviously we need TE recruiting to pick up but Harrison has developed into a nice receiving TE that just isn't experienced enough to block guys on the edge.

Mikey just converted to TE, and I could see him adding significant mass in the off season now that he’s a TE for good. Could make a big jump by 2024.
I think we have to give Brewster some credit here. Obviously we need TE recruiting to pick up but Harrison has developed into a nice receiving TE that just isn't experienced enough to block guys on the edge.

I haven't kept up - what's up with Caleb Fauria?

ASU's OL is not good. We will get 18, 21, and 23 back, so I am not worried too much about the D.

The biggest concern has to be OL, again. Initially I thought Young did a OK job on Saturday. On rewatching the game, I thought he looked rigid and weak.

What are we asking TEs to do in the running game? Except on the goal line when we bring in the DTs, I've never seen the TE lined up on the OTs shoulder.

SC rushed for 7.3 YPC, 213 yards overall (vs ASU)
Cal rushed for 4.1 YPC, 196 yards overall
SC rushed for 3.8 YPC, 95 yards overall (vs CU)

Likewise, ASU has been woeful at running the ball.
They had 32 attemps vs USC, for 90 yards, 2.8 YPC.
CU had 45 attemps vs USC, for 193 yards, 4.3 YPC

On run defense, CU was gashed by TCU, Nebraska and Oregon.
CSU and USC could not run the ball on CU.

Diving deeper, Nebraska's QB (Sims) had the one long 57 yard TD scamper.
And a RB had a 44 yard scamper. This came with the score 36-7.
Those two runs accounted for nearly half of their production.
Nebraska did not dictate the game the way they intended to. CU

So, outside of the Oregon debacle, CU has shown better ability to defend the run.

If CU can force ASU to throw the ball often, which I think is likely if we come to play, I like the matchups.

What are we asking TEs to do in the running game? Except on the goal line when we bring in the DTs, I've never seen the TE lined up on the OTs shoulder.
That's the thing. Mostly treating it as a big slot.

ASU loves to play spoiler in Tempe...so this game has me a bit worried. We are the better team but will we play well enough for 4 quarters? Who knows with this team? The second half of USC is promising, but such a young team seems to translate to very inconsistent effort. #SkoBuffs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back