What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Colorado v Oregon - September 23rd, 1.30pm Mountain, ABC

Status
Not open for further replies.
L O L:

My guess was that this was probably someone who had CU pegged for 3 wins this year before the season. "Well, they already matched the number of wins I thought they'd get on the whole year, but they're still just slightly better than average if everything goes well for them."
Six to eight wins would be a ****ing miracle, based on last season. So maybe the article title should be, "Other Coaches are ****ing Dumbfounded by CU's Miracle ****ing Turnaround!"

A tough game that can go either way. Both teams will have issues stopping the other. The difference is, Oregon proven to have more ways to beat you than CU has so far. Where CU is strong, Oregon is solid or strong, where CU is weak, Oregon isn't as weak or solid at. What Colorado has is Shedeur Sanders and that matters a lot. That said, Alton McCaskill is going to have to be special for CU to win. Travis was the difference against TCU. CU needs a running game that can force more than 5 in a box. When that happens against man coverage, it will be difficult.

If I was Oregon, I wouldn't bring exotic blitzes against Shedeur unless I want to get destroyed. Nebraska did it once Shedeur was out of the game against Staub but refused to do it to Shedeur and even if they did, he would have killed them for it.

Shedeur is the best in the nation at pre snap and post snap reads. You have to play it Mano e Mano like Colorado State did with their pass rush. Anytime Kamara was out, they couldn't get any pressure on Sanders and got dominated.

I don't see Oregon going from what they do. I see them playing man and getting roasted. Their goal is avoid giving up TDs and forcing FGs. Alton going to have to run 20-25 times in my mind. Also this will keep Dylan fresh for a big play or two.

Can Alton still be productive despite the O-line woes?

I think a 1 2 punch will help emmensely with the run game. That change of pace between hard to tackle then speed and shifty, is tiring on a DL.

I also think they need to do some design runs for #2. Have to get the DL and LBs on their heals

Can Alton still be productive despite the O-line woes?
Their biggest issue is inside blocking. Outside blocking is fine. The issue is Dylan is too easy to take down with arm tackles and the others don't have the speed. They have to run inside where we are weak. We need someone who can run the edge but break tackles and get to the 2nd level as teams play safeties two high against us.

our o-line is exactly the weakest part that most of us thought it would be. not helping that is that true frosh dylan is getting stuffed on blitz protection and the true frosh center got worked. shadeur is tough as nails but he's getting hit way too much. oregon is on another level on both sides of the ball from what we have seen so far.

i expect we are going to see the staff change up some tendencies to try get something going in the run game. it will be interesting to see alton but behind this line, it may not matter. dylan is effective out in space when that speed makes him different.

we are going to struggle between the tackles.

we have the best passing qb we have ever had so we have a chance. he's got guys to throw it to and they are all very very good at the fire drill when the play breaks down.

CU + 21 feels about right but we have a chance. this would have been a body bag game for us on the road at a top 10 team last year and in recent seasons.

we could steal a win in a shootout if we catch a few breaks. there are no moral victories in football but if we can get out of there reasonably healthy and not get totally boat-raced, it would be a positive thing.

Everything I've heard nationally is people expecting us to get run. On the College GameDay podcast Pete Thamel said he talked to 8 different assistant coaches who have either coached against CU or has scouted us and he said the the common theme that came up is that we're gonna get boat raced.

Greg McElroy was saying this morning that he thinks thinks this one could get sideways in favor of Oregon. And I'm sure there are many others with a similar opinion.

We don't really know how good Oregon is. I have no doubt they are at least top 15-20 good, but are they top 5-10 good? That's TBD. They have destroyed 2 patsies but were trailing TT very late until they hit a go-ahead FG. Then TT was driving at midfield with about a minute left until a pick 6 sealed it. And this is a TT team that lost to Wyoming. (Albeit a pretty decent Wyoming team)

Their biggest issue is inside blocking. Outside blocking is fine. The issue is Dylan is too easy to take down with arm tackles and the others don't have the speed. They have to run inside where we are weak. We need someone who can run the edge but break tackles and get to the 2nd level as teams play safeties two high against us.

We need to be able to run the ball to win. Period. The Oregon pass rush will feast on our o-line if we don't, and our newfound TE options will be useless because he'll be forced in to block.

Having Wells back and healthy is huge - the CSU game is massively different is he's in there. McCaskill needs to be a difference maker as well. If we can run inside for 4-5 yards consistently, all other options become easier. I don't know if that's possible, but it would be huge if we could.

I worry about Nix, as does everybody who faces him, but he can be baited into bad throws. We've gotten big picks in every game - we need that streak to continue.

Everything I've heard nationally is people expecting us to get run. On the College GameDay podcast Pete Thamel said he talked to 8 different assistant coaches who have either coached against CU or has scouted us and he said the the common theme that came up is that we're gonna get boat raced.

Greg McElroy was saying this morning that he thinks thinks this one could get sideways in favor of Oregon. And I'm sure there are many others with a similar opinion.

We don't really know how good Oregon is. I have no doubt they are at least top 15-20 good, but are they top 5-10 good? That's TBD. They have destroyed 2 patsies but were trailing TT very late until they hit a go-ahead FG. Then TT was driving at midfield with about a minute left until a pick 6 sealed it. And this is a TT team that lost to Wyoming. (Albeit a pretty decent Wyoming team)
Comparative results never work.

Comparative results never work.

Laramie is a weird place to play. Lubbock is a weird place to play.

Plus motivation is so huge in college ball, as we found out against CSU.

I thought there was a good chance that TTU being pissed off about losing to Wyo + Oregon potentially being overconfident + Lubbock meant Oregon was on upset alert. Some here thought I was nuts. Damn near happened.

We are on the road. We will get Oregon's best shot. We have to meet their fire.

View attachment 65186
Lol at the sticky thread.
Lol

I didn't post the text of the thread but it was a glorious whinny rant where he was going to take his football and go home. I just checked the website and lo and behold he did it.
1695400956465.png

Not much new here on the injury front besides confirmation on guys practicing that I think all have been speculated on in here.

Ie, Wells, Jay, McCaskill, Robinson.

Unknowns still look like Slusher and Stoutmire and no mention one way or the other on Gant.

A middling G5 program had no respect at all for CU's run game. None.

The DNVR guys mentioned this but if CU can get the run game to even be average this offense will become extremely elite. I haven't seen much from the oline to make me think that McCaskil is just the missing piece, but there have been some plays missed by the RB's that could have gone for more. We have to hope that the oline just needs some more gelling to get some plus plays out of the run game and at least start having defenses respect it.

A middling G5 program had no respect at all for CU's run game. None.

The DNVR guys mentioned this but if CU can get the run game to even be average this offense will become extremely elite. I haven't seen much from the oline to make me think that McCaskil is just the missing piece, but there have been some plays missed by the RB's that could have gone for more. We have to hope that the oline just needs some more gelling to get some plus plays out of the run game and at least start having defenses respect it.
Yeah, I'm hopeful that McCaskill can add a little bit of a spark to the run game and be able to get some of the tough yardage that our other backs seemingly have had trouble with, but unless the OL improves, I don't think we're going to see some massive improvement in the overall run game.

L O L:

That left one opposing defensive coach making this prediction: "I'd say they are somewhere between a six-win and an eight-win team, if everything goes well. They can't run the ball. When you get to the teams that have massive fronts and have some stuff to get to the passer with four (defensive linemen), they'll have issues."

My guess was that this was probably someone who had CU pegged for 3 wins this year before the season. "Well, they already matched the number of wins I thought they'd get on the whole year, but they're still just slightly better than average if everything goes well for them."

Yeah this is ridiculous, this particularly got me.
When you get to the teams that have massive fronts and have some stuff to get to the passer with four (defensive linemen), they'll have issues."

EVERYONE has issues with massive fronts and teams that can get to the passer with 4. Literally the recipe for about 95% of national champion and Super Bowl winning teams. GTFOH.

Yeah, I'm hopeful that McCaskill can add a little bit of a spark to the run game and be able to get some of the tough yardage that our other backs seemingly have had trouble with, but unless the OL improves, I don't think we're going to see some massive improvement in the overall run game.
Sometimes the right back can make an oline look much better than it is.

I'm not expecting us to have a great run game this season ever, but all we really need it to be is adequate. Enough that defenses have to defend against it somewhat.

I'm hoping McCaskill can be that spark you are looking for. He does have the ability to shake of tackles and find holes that other backs dont. He does have the ability to break for big plays.

We saw what happens when they lost even one player on the inside. Losing Tyler Brown before the season even started showed the lack of depth immediately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back