What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Colorado v USC - September 30, 2023 - 10am MT, FOX

I just got done reading the entire thread. I didn't see anywhere - do we know why we didn't see more of McCaskill?

I don't think his sh*t was as bad as people think. I think it's more that Coach Prime is playing the long game by coaching him harder than most because he sees the potential and owes it to him to coach him tough so he becomes all he's capable of becoming. My suspicion is that he's been our 3rd best CB on the field for weeks.
Think you are right.

Cormani is one of those guys who could shut down anybody he wanted in high school just showing up. If I'm a HS coach I don't even think about throwing the ball his way.

He is a special enough athlete that as we saw he could match up with quality college level players. USC isn't putting a bunch of MWC level WRs out there, they play a bunch of guys who are expecting to get paychecks in the future.

Prime knows all about that though. He like Cormani was a superior athlete. He could have coasted and still had a career in the NFL, his hard work on the details, on the mental side of the game is what turned him from being Deion Sanders into Prime Time, what made him a HOF player and a guy who is recognized as being elite even among the HOF DBs.

He knows that Cormani is good enough to be effective, what Prime wants out of him is to be special, to be one of those guys who changes how opponents look at games. Don't know that any other coach in the country has the credibility to sit Cormani down and tell him he isn't good enough and needs to be better.

Another good outcome from this game is that several young players got a lot of meaningful reps in a big game.

That will pay dividends down the road.
Phones are weird sometimes. Duplicate posts hours apart 🤷‍♂️

1 carry 5 yards and one sack given up. Can't have that
Probably a different play, but I think he was in for another sack (might have been Hankerson). Interior OL was blocking 3 on 2, but the back stepped up to protect middle and one tackle was 1 on 2, causing a sack.

Probably a different play, but I think he was in for another sack (might have been Hankerson). Interior OL was blocking 3 on 2, but the back stepped up to protect middle and one tackle was 1 on 2, causing a sack.
I distinctly remember Shedeur talking to him after one. Pretty sure he was only in for 1 series to start the 3d or early on.

Another good outcome from this game is that several young players got a lot of meaningful reps in a big game.

That will pay dividends down the road.
Seeing some guys flash and step into bigger roles is going to be so sweet as vets return to the lineup

Allbuff members who are anal about their lawns -- is it challenging to grow field turf in this area?

Allbuff members who are anal about their lawns -- is it challenging to grow field turf in this area?
I've had a lot of conversations with Ryan (the turf guy for Folsom). I think he would answer both yes and no. Yes, because maintaining turf for football players to trample weekly in a way that's safe for the players and also looks attractive to a live and televised audience is always challenging. No matter where you are.

No, because he and his team are focused on one stadium in one environment. I mean, it's hard everywhere (see above), but they have tailored everything to Colorado, just like a stadium in Florida would require a focused team in that environment.

A couple of other things that he's said that have stuck out at me:

-When he sees a field on TV that looks like ****, he's not judgmental, because he understands how hard it is. He's empathetic and feels how challenging it must be for that turf crew to be watching the game.

-Folsom is designed to drain 20 inches of rain per hour!

-The team mows that field all of the time. When I asked if it would be better to allow the grass to grow longer and establish deeper roots he said, "I don't know. We just mow it all of the time." It made me laugh because he's got a degree in turf management or something from Iowa State, but clearly he's been doing this for so long a lot of what he does is driven by instinct.

-I used to have a key to the stadium/field. So I took my four-year-old niece down there one weekend. She no kidding took one step onto the field and Ryan - out of nowhere - was suddenly driving a cart down the sideline screaming to get her off the field. I was like, "man...there were just a bunch of 300 pound dudes wearing cleats out here yesterday and you're worried about a four-year-old in mary janes?"

I've had a lot of conversations with Ryan (the turf guy for Folsom). I think he would answer both yes and no. Yes, because maintaining turf for football players to trample weekly in a way that's safe for the players and also looks attractive to a live and televised audience is always challenging. No matter where you are.

No, because he and his team are focused on one stadium in one environment. I mean, it's hard everywhere (see above), but they have tailored everything to Colorado, just like a stadium in Florida would require a focused team in that environment.

-When he sees a field on TV that looks like ****, he's not judgmental, because he understands how hard it is. He's empathetic and feels how challenging it must be for that turf crew to be watching the game.

-The team mows that field all of the time. When I asked if it would be better to allow the grass to grow longer and establish deeper roots he said, "I don't know. We just mow it all of the time." It made me laugh because he's got a degree in turf management or something from Iowa State, but clearly he's been doing this for so long a lot of what he does is driven by instinct.

-I used to have a key to the stadium/field. So I took my four-year-old niece down there one weekend. She no kidding took one step onto the field and Ryan - out of nowhere - was suddenly driving a cart down the sideline screaming to get her off the field. I was like, "man...there were just a bunch of 300 pound dudes wearing cleats out here yesterday and you're worried about a four-year-old in mary janes?"
4 year olds definitely do more damage than a 1000lb buffalo.

That Buffalo isn’t doing any damage at the moment. She barely runs on the field at all.
I think I've found the solution:
Angel Flying GIF by Richie Brown

How is it that you had a key to the stadium?

giphy.gif

How is it that you had a key to the stadium?

giphy.gif
You don't seem like you really have a need to know that information.

But I'd add that I had the key to the interior offices as well as the chain link gates at the tunnels. Anyhoo...

Think that last point is a rite of passage for everyone who has worked in sports.

Watching the USC game again. Man alive, how the hell did they not call PI on Omarion’s TD that made it 48-33? The defender was trying to rip his jersey off for 10 yards.

Another: At the 4:39 mark we went OB making it 2nd and 6. The game clock did not start until we snapped the ball 20 seconds later. Then, at the 3:55 mark we went out to make it 1st and 10. The clock stopped for 4 seconds then started again and 21 seconds elapsed before our next snap. What the hell is the rule when the ball carrier goes OB?

Then Omarion caught a pass on the sideline and went out with 2:31 on the clock. The clock didn’t start for 8 seconds this time then we got a false start at the 2:07 mark.

So:
3:55 OB 1st & 10
3:34 Run 2nd & 10
3:01 Run 3rd & 6
2:38 Pass Catch and out at the 11
2:07 false start
1:47 TD at 1:43 mark

That is 4 plays in 2 minutes and 12 seconds. That’s 33 seconds per play not including the false start.

Last edited:
Another: At the 4:39 mark we went OB making it 2nd and 6. The game clock did not start until we snapped the ball 20 seconds later. Then, at the 3:55 mark we went out to make it 1st and 10. The clock stopped for 4 seconds then started again and 21 seconds elapsed before our next snap. What the hell is the rule when the ball carrier goes OB?

Then Omarion caught a pass on the sideline and went out with 2:31 on the clock. The clock didn’t start for 8 seconds this time then we got a false start at the 2:07 mark.

So:
3:55 OB 1st & 10
3:34 Run 2nd & 10
3:01 Run 3rd & 6
2:38 Pass Catch and out at the 11
2:07 false start
1:47 TD at 1:43 mark

That is 4 plays in 2 minutes and 12 seconds. That’s 33 seconds per play not including the false start.
Answering my own question: with more than 2 minutes remaining at the end of a half, if the player goes out, the clock stops for the ref to spot the ball and resumes on the ref’s signal. So when we went out at the 4:39 mark, the clock person screwed up and gave us 15 or 20 seconds. On the other two OB plays it seems like the clock started a bit quickly. So, maybe a push at the end of the day.

With under two minutes the clock stops on both OB and first down. I think it should be the last 4 or 5 minutes, personally.

He's fast. But his game will always be from the pocket with the occasional flash of getting a 1st down with his legs when things break down. I think of him like a Moon or Montana with that. He'll be capable of running when it's needed, but it's an "when all else fails" situation.
or Elway
homer simpson GIF

Back