What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Colorado v USC - September 30, 2023 - 10am MT, FOX

or Elway
homer simpson GIF
@Duff Man

He's fast. But his game will always be from the pocket with the occasional flash of getting a 1st down with his legs when things break down. I think of him like a Moon or Montana with that. He'll be capable of running when it's needed, but it's an "when all else fails" situation.
This is one of the reasons I think he will be an excellent pro QB.

Mobility in the NFL is a huge advantage and having a guy who can pick up a key first down with his legs is a plus but Super Bowls are still won with a QBs arm, not his legs.

The guys who are just enough of a threat to run to force the defense to respect that element but who do their damage throwing are the biggest threats.

This is one of the reasons I think he will be an excellent pro QB.

Mobility in the NFL is a huge advantage and having a guy who can pick up a key first down with his legs is a plus but Super Bowls are still won with a QBs arm, not his legs.

The guys who are just enough of a threat to run to force the defense to respect that element but who do their damage throwing are the biggest threats.
I think mobility is also more than just athleticism. The types of QBs that are the most frustrating read the defense pre-snap to know where the pressure is coming from, know how the shape of pocket will change depending on the drop back, know how to play the angles and use their lineman as shields.

Tom Brady was annoyingly good at this even though he moves like he's wearing concrete shoes. Mahomes is more athletic than Brady but what really separates him is his ability to subtly move through the pocket to keep defenders at bay and throw from anywhere (some QBs are less comfortable throwing while running in certain directions and this makes them more predictable). Russell Wilson may be the counter example even though he's having a better year. When he was younger he got by using his athleticism, but his pocket awareness has always been mediocre IMO and as his athleticism has waned so has his effectiveness.

I think mobility is also more than just athleticism. The types of QBs that are the most frustrating read the defense pre-snap to know where the pressure is coming from, know how the shape of pocket will change depending on the drop back, know how to play the angles and use their lineman as shields.

Tom Brady was annoyingly good at this even though he moves like he's wearing concrete shoes. Mahomes is more athletic than Brady but what really separates him is his ability to subtly move through the pocket to keep defenders at bay and throw from anywhere (some QBs are less comfortable throwing while running in certain directions and this makes them more predictable). Russell Wilson may be the counter example even though he's having a better year. When he was younger he got by using his athleticism, but his pocket awareness has always been mediocre IMO and as his athleticism has waned so has his effectiveness.
Don't necessarily agree with you about Wilson but the rest is spot on.

I'd much rather have a guy who can move move two or three steps one direction or the other to escape the rush and have a clear throw than a guy who scrambles 15 yards to throw a bad ball or run into a defender.

Brady footwork is lightning quick. I still remember the Under Armour commercial where his footwork speed was faster than Cam Newton's. For a pocket QB, footwork speed is critical. Josh Rosen is damn near always sacked because by the time he makes his last drop, he's sacked or the defender is in his face. His footwork technique was damn near flawless at UCLA. But the same reason why he had to stop playing competitive tennis the same reason why he didn't make it in the NFL. His footwork speed is garbage.

Honestly I think that most drafted QBs you say this about. Good QBs who land in bad situations often turn out to be bad QBs.
Caleb Williams will be a bust no matter where he lands. He will have a career similar to Trey Lance or maybe Sam Darnold. Shedeur will be a good QB. Worst case will be a career like Archie Manning if he ends up with a bad organization—he will still be viewed as a strong QB even if the team around him is poor.

Last edited:
Caleb Williams will be a bust no matter where he lands. He will have a career similar to Trey Lance or maybe Sam Darnold. Shedeur will be a good QB. Worst case will be a career like Archie Manning if he ends up with a bad organization—he will still be viewed as a strong QB even if the team around him is poor.
Caleb Williams is a generational talent. While he's a unique player type, his most translatable skills are as a mobile QB prospect. Most of the NFL struggles with those types. For me, I would avoid teams without an offensive minded coach who does well with those types. Avoid a West Coast offense with a passion. Whereas I would recommend a WCO in the NFL for Shedeur

Caleb Williams is a generational talent. While he's a unique player type, his most translatable skills are as a mobile QB prospect. Most of the NFL struggles with those types. For me, I would avoid teams without an offensive minded coach who does well with those types. Avoid a West Coast offense with a passion. Whereas I would recommend a WCO in the NFL for Shedeur
Any NFL team that drafts a QB in the 1st round should fire its coaches if they don't build the offense around him.

I agree with you although I have seen him make more and better plays from the pocket than you usually see from guys who are usually labelled as "mobile" QBs.

Not in any way saying he will be as good, that's to be determined but he could be similar to Mahomes who played in a college system that emphasized mobility.

Unlike Mahomes, and some other top QBs like Allen I worry a little about guys who's teams have superior talent around them to the teams they play against in college. How will Williams respond when he doesn't always have a 5* WR beating some DB who is a step down in talent.

Other QBs have overcome this but it is an adjustment.

To have an NFL career, not just a few years he will have to adjust to more of a traditional NFL system by yes having offensive coaches that allow him to use his strengths as he develops that adjustment will be important.

I agree with you although I have seen him make more and better plays from the pocket than you usually see from guys who are usually labelled as "mobile" QBs.

Not in any way saying he will be as good, that's to be determined but he could be similar to Mahomes who played in a college system that emphasized mobility.

Unlike Mahomes, and some other top QBs like Allen I worry a little about guys who's teams have superior talent around them to the teams they play against in college. How will Williams respond when he doesn't always have a 5* WR beating some DB who is a step down in talent.

Other QBs have overcome this but it is an adjustment.

To have an NFL career, not just a few years he will have to adjust to more of a traditional NFL system by yes having offensive coaches that allow him to use his strengths as he develops that adjustment will be important.
He's also an elite balanced QB in college but how much of that is real, we won't know till he's in the NFL. As of right now, it seems that all of his mobile stuff is real. At the end of the day, it's always hard to say. Justin Fields was a special mobile QB prospect but he's mainly a special running QB in the NFL. He wasn't that in college. How guys translate in the NFL is one of the hardest things to predict. You can only go by their tendencies and their production.

How they develop in the NFL is largely dependent on everything else around the QB

Mahomes is everyone favorite guy but like Tom Brady, he massively improved in the NFL. His footwork technique was horrendous. His tendencies were bad. He looked like your normal 2nd round type who's very talented. He just hit in a major way. Mahomes wasn't very good at anything. Pocket passing, no. Balanced, good. Mobile, good. Running, no. Game managing, hell no.

Bro was mainly drafted off of his talent level and tools as well as his mental capabilities even if it wasn't proven as a high end QB. He was your typical boom or bust prospect. The thing is, he was like Brett Favre where the arm talent might be world class but NFL teams really wasn't going crazy over arm talent anymore till Mahomes boomed. Patrick Ramsey had insane arm talent. Zach Wilson has insane arm talent. Arm talent is cool but it's like arm strength for the most part, its cool but nothing special. It's a combination of other things with that which could make it special.

I do agree about playing on stacked squads making it a lot harder to really see what you want from a QB but the tape is the tape. You gotta have a feel for to a degree as well

Last edited:
Back