What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Colorado v USC - September 30, 2023 - 10am MT, FOX

If we had somehow scored another touchdown, my inclination was that I'd have wanted to go for 2. But at home, with momentum, having played a ton more offensive snaps than them, USC was worn down and OT might have been the smarter play.

I think they if they win the coin toss next week, they should elect to receive instead of defer. They need the strength of the team out on the field first in order to get things going early and allow the defense to adjust (that seems to be working as the game goes on) and take the field first in the 2H.

As Klatt said yesterday, it was two weeks in a row that CU gave the ball away to start the game and both times they were almost down 14 before their offense took their 4th snap

This may not be a popular take with the national media, but Caleb Williams is not going to be a good pro. USC’s talent level is so much higher than almost every team they will play this year. Once he is in the NFL where talent is roughly even in every game, he will be exposed just like many USC quarterbacks before him. Shedeur outplayed Williams today by a lot, and he looked far more athletic in doing so.
Its bad luck to be a first drafted QB anymore. Be Josh Allen instead.

Great game for Miller. He kind of reminds me of Arias.
Episode 5 Reaction GIF by The Office

Its bad luck to be a first drafted QB anymore. Be Josh Allen instead.
Usually because the first drafted QB goes to a trash team with expectations that he is going to lead a miracle turn around immediately.

QB is the most important position on the field but is also completely dependent on others doing their job.

I do wonder if you have a serious discussion with Hunter than his clearest path to the HOF is at DB. He should play DB 90% of the time with a handful of special packages at WR. Kid is special but playing every snap on O and D exposes him to too many collisions.

This may not be a popular take with the national media, but Caleb Williams is not going to be a good pro. USC’s talent level is so much higher than almost every team they will play this year. Once he is in the NFL where talent is roughly even in every game, he will be exposed just like many USC quarterbacks before him. Shedeur outplayed Williams today by a lot, and he looked far more athletic in doing so.
My goodness. Evidence? data?

That is one of the wildest takes I've seen on here in a while.

I haven’t read this thread, and definitely won’t be, but does anyone know why we’re seeing such limited carries for Alton?
For whatever reason(s) CU whiffed on portal RB recruitment. Neither Alton nor K. Smoke can get on the field much. But the bigger picture is that this program, like many other college teams, isn't going to emphasize the running game.

I do wonder if you have a serious discussion with Hunter than his clearest path to the HOF is at DB. He should play DB 90% of the time with a handful of special packages at WR. Kid is special but playing every snap on O and D exposes him to too many collisions.
Look Up This Is It GIF by Audible

For whatever reason(s) CU whiffed on portal RB recruitment. Neither Alton nor K. Smoke can get on the field much. But the bigger picture is that this program, like many other college teams, isn't going to emphasize the running game.

Not buying that last sentence at all. The coaches saw the beating SS took the first four weeks and adjusted yesterday.

I think they if they win the coin toss next week, they should elect to receive instead of defer. They need the strength of the team out on the field first in order to get things going early and allow the defense to adjust (that seems to be working as the game goes on) and take the field first in the 2H.

As Klatt said yesterday, it was two weeks in a row that CU gave the ball away to start the game and both times they were almost down 14 before their offense took their 4th snap
Agreed, but Lewis has to be more aggressive early. They can't get the ball, throw 3 straight WR screens and then punt. The 2nd half success has come when they start to push the ball down the field.

Not buying that last sentence at all. The coaches saw the beating SS took the first four weeks and adjusted yesterday.
I meant that they didn't emphasize the RB position heavily in portal recruiting. For a team with big aspirations the RB room is meh. McCaskill is high potential but was always an injury recovery risk. You're right about the play calling yesterday. We'll roll with Hank and Wilkerson for now, and it was good to see SS running a few times. Need to get an elite RB or two.

I’ve thought this since this summer. Not that this had anything to do with lacerating a liver, but in the long term, yeah, it’s better for him and the team.

I meant that they didn't emphasize the RB position heavily in portal recruiting. For a team with big aspirations the RB room is meh. McCaskill is high potential but was always an injury recovery risk. You're right about the play calling yesterday. We'll roll with Hank and Wilkerson for now, and it was good to see SS running a few times. Need to get an elite RB or two.
They added 3 RBs from the portal, one of which was one of the top transfer RBs out there. The emphasis was clearly there, but they have also found it hard to keep Edwards off the field and he’s simply not an every down RB. They clearly emphasize the passing game, but I think they’re in a weird spot with personnel and what they want to do on offense.

Agreed, but Lewis has to be more aggressive early. They can't get the ball, throw 3 straight WR screens and then punt. The 2nd half success has come when they start to push the ball down the field.

Agreed, but I will say that the 3rd play of the game was an RB screen to Hankerson that caught USC completely by surprise. It should have gone for big yards, but Hankerson for some reason cut inside away from all his blocks and gained one yard.

Sometimes it's not about the playcalling as much as it's about the execution.

They added 3 RBs from the portal, one of which was one of the top transfer RBs out there. The emphasis was clearly there, but they have also found it hard to keep Edwards off the field and he’s simply not an every down RB. They clearly emphasize the passing game, but I think they’re in a weird spot with personnel and what they want to do on offense.
That was my point - they added some bodies at RB. I understand the quandary. With SS at QB, you're going to lean hard towards the pass.

Sorry, I watched the game afterwards and I don't want to read all 47 pages on this thread.

Have the coaches explained the play calling on the final drive?

I noticed that a lot of the first half pass plays had three out breaking routes all run within 8 yards of the line of scrimmage with a RB sometimes coming out into the flat.
The seam was wide open but we didn't start using it until Shedeur ran for his touchdown in the second quarter.
Miller came in in the second half and opened up the third level and the offense was off to the races.
I'd like to see Lewis adjust his first half play calling to run passing plays that force the defense to cover the whole field.
I trust Shedeur to make the correct decision and hit the open guy especially with Hankerson's ability to pick up five yards on the rpo when Shedeur checks down to it.

We showed how good this offense can be in the second half yesterday.
The defense really improved once Cormani got in and locked down Rice.
The rest of this season looks really promising even with our known flaws.

Agreed, but I will say that the 3rd play of the game was an RB screen to Hankerson that caught USC completely by surprise. It should have gone for big yards, but Hankerson for some reason cut inside away from all his blocks and gained one yard.

Sometimes it's not about the playcalling as much as it's about the execution.
You saw that too? My son was looking at me like “what’s with the old guy losing his ****?”

This. Eleventy billion times this.

Just watched this video of Miller's highlights from yesterday. I forgot that his first catch comes with 7 minutes to go in the third quarter, and CU down 41-14. A true freshman entered the game with his team losing by 27 points against the #8 team in the country, and he willed them back into the game. Incredible competitiveness and drive.

Back