What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Conference Expansion - Big 12 is a tire fire

Calibraska collapsing would make me mjlaugh.gif harder than I ever have.

The next most would be AFA taking CSU's spot as travel partner to BYU.

Calibraska collapsing would make me mjlaugh.gif harder than I ever have.

The next most would be AFA taking CSU's spot as travel partner to BYU.

We live in a bit of a bubble within the state. I really want to hear from our out-of-state residents on this.

My impression, living most of my life in states other than Colorado (where I've mostly been since 1998) is as follows:

I would be much, much more likely to tune in to watch UT play AFA than to watch UT play CSU.

We live in a bit of a bubble within the state. I really want to hear from our out-of-state residents on this.

My impression, living most of my life in states other than Colorado (where I've mostly been since 1998) is as follows:

I would be much, much more likely to tune in to watch UT play AFA than to watch UT play CSU.
I don't speak for all out of state residents, but I don't think either moves the needle very much.

In my experience, the service academies have a fairly small following (except when they play each other - side note: Army/Navy game last year may be my favorite college game experience ever - highly recommend it as a bucket list experience regardless if you care about either service, it's that good). Most service members I know aren't necessarily a fan of the service academy unless they went to school there (and that's a relatively small percentage). Most have loyalties to where they went to school, or if not a college grad, then whatever team they rooted for as a kid.

The Ewes really think they are in. The Coloradoan is not in touch with SI, et al, are saying. It's going to break their collective sheep hearts.

I find it so weird the Big 12 is allowing this process to play out somewhat publicly.

B12 Commish Bob Bowlsby used to be the Atheltic Director at Stanford so he's obviously not stupid.

i hate to root for bad things to happen, but i am rooting against csu getting into the b12. we don't need any legit local competition for the limited numbers of p5 players coming out of the region. and, sadly, i think their placement in the b12 could reinforce that "boulder is out of touch" thing that gets bandied about in certain parts of colorado. certainly, some folks can relate better to the ass hats in tejas and other similar locales than they can the "dirty hippies" in boulder and berkeley.

of course, if the p12 were to sweep in and take, say, texasss and oklahoma right after the b12 announces a 2 team expansion, i might have to be hospitalized from laughing at the b12.

I find it so weird the Big 12 is allowing this process to play out somewhat publicly.

More desperation, imo.

Kinda like the hs girl who dresses up, wears way to much perfume, and over does the makeup, and then talks louder, faster, and more than anyone else. "Hey, look at me."

More desperation, imo.

Kinda like the hs girl who dresses up, wears way to much perfume, and over does the makeup, and then talks louder, faster, and more than anyone else. "Hey, look at me."

Could be. Why announce anything about expansion in the first place?

More desperation, imo.

Maybe the B12 has monetized the process and plans to maximize collection of consideration fees for any and all applicants.

Want your name on the list? That'll be $500k please.

Want to escape the second round? $500k more.

Maybe the B12 has monetized the process and plans to maximize collection of consideration fees for any and all applicants.

More like:
a) would you take a 50% normal share of TV revenue
b) how about a 40% normal share
c) does 30% normal share sound good for you? That would still be a 2x increase, along with the prestige of the conference that can't count

this is the b12 we are talking about. more like: please deliver a half dozen uncorrupted virgins to our "planning meeting" this saturday night to be considered eligible to move to the next round. please put 100k in small non-consecutive used bills in a brown paper bag and leave it outside a predetermined location. please describe in detail your procedures and processes for evading ncaa sanctions. please send your university president to sing the texasss fight song before providing any requested sexual favors.

etc.

Could be. Why announce anything about expansion in the first place?

Probably trying to scare the networks.

Yeah, pretty much trying different angles with the tv folks. The network told the conference there's no more money for a CCG, so to force the financial hand, the conference will expand.

Well, it appears the tv folks had an answer - the contract would be extended for several years. And I bet that is sans any revenues increases, other than for the 2, 4, or 27 new members the big integer conference wants to add.

Our old conference is trying to play hard ball with one of those squishy rubber stress relief balls you get at a computer geek seminar.

Let's say that the Big 12 went to 14 for football, 12 for all other sports.

Additions: Cincinnati, Houston, BYU (football only), Air Force (football only)

Their alignment would look just the way the Texas and Oklahoma schools want it since they'd barely have to leave TX-OK every season.

North
Air Force
BYU
Cincinnati
Iowa State
Kansas
Kansas State
West Virginia

South
Baylor
Houston
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Texas
Texas Christian
Texas Tech

6 games against your division and 3 against the other side.

For the teams in the South, that would mean a maximum of 2 conference games outside TX-OK and the potential to schedule 10 games a year within easy RV distance for fans and pretty easy trips for the rest. And not only do they get the extra money by adding 4 teams, they also hurt the recruiting of the teams in the North by giving them a maximum of 3 games a year against conference teams from Texas (they're currently getting 6 every year).

In consideration of what I know of Big 12 politics from the time CU spent in that conference, I think this has a high likelihood of being what happens.

Last edited:
Let's say that the Big 12 went to 14 for football, 12 for al other sports.

Their alignment would look just the way the Texas and Oklahoma schools want it since they'd barely have to leave TX-OK every season.

North
Air Force
BYU
Cincinnati
Iowa State
Kansas
Kansas State
West Virginia

South
Baylor
Houston
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Texas
Texas Christian
Texas Tech

For the teams in the South, that would mean a maximum of 2 conference games outside TX-OK and the potential to schedule 10 games a year within easy RV distance for fans and pretty easy trips for the rest. And not only do they get the extra money by adding 4 teams, they also hurt the recruiting of the teams in the North by giving them a maximum of 3 games a year against conference teams from Texas (they're currently getting 6 every year).

In consideration of what I know of Big 12 politics from the time CU spent in that conference, I think this has a high likelihood of being what happens.

Holy **** that North division is dog****

Let's say that the Big 12 went to 14 for football, 12 for all other sports.

North
Air Force
BYU
Cincinnati
Iowa State
Kansas
Kansas State
West Virginia

South
Baylor
Houston
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Texas
Texas Christian
Texas Tech

I think they would be making a mistake this time around if they keep UT and OU in the same division. Potential UT/OU CCGs would be huge ratings wise, but, say, OU and Cincy would be awful. Who would watch that other than die-hards from those schools?

Back