What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Conference Expansion - Big 12 is a tire fire

I don't really understand your desire to make college football like the NFL.
I'm not, I was just responding the idea that ratings in the NFL are down due to the way the regular season and postseason are currently structured. I do believe the NFL postseason is the best in sports, but increasing the CFP by 2-4 teams is a far cry to emulating the NFL.

I'm not, I was just responding the idea that ratings in the NFL are down due to the way the regular season and postseason are currently structured. I do believe the NFL postseason is the best in sports, but increasing the CFP by 2-4 teams is a far cry to emulating the NFL.
Increasing it by four is essentially an exact replica of the NFL since bye weeks in the postseason in college football are very unlikely.

Increasing it by four is essentially an exact replica of the NFL since bye weeks in the postseason in college football are very unlikely.
That's your basis for comparison here? Bye weeks? Ok...

A 4 team playoff when there are 5 big conferences is simply not enough. The addition of 2-4 teams is worth it, IMO. That's fine if you disagree.

That's your basis for comparison here? Bye weeks? Ok...

A 4 team playoff when there are 5 big conferences is simply not enough. The addition of 2-4 teams is worth it, IMO. That's fine if you disagree.
No I'm saying that the MLB and NFL playoffs are essentially 8-team playoffs with 4 play in games so if the CFB expanded by 4 is is almost the same as the NFL which would suck IMO. It's awesome that it's different and yeah it sucks when the PAC gets left out of the playoff but it's sort of cool to see all those teams fighting til the very end and it was awesome when TCU and Baylor got screwed out of it because their commissioner wouldn't name a champion so he could try to get both in. If schools don't want it that way then consolidate like any rational person would do if they had control over all the schools lol.

KU is quite confident they'll land well. Interestingly, gauging their fans they want no part of the SEC. The B1G and ACC both appeal more to them in the Pac. Unsurprisingly, they put too much weight on their hoops appeal. KU hasn't had a season of more than 3 wins since 2009. They might want to work on that because another 5 years of this it becomes a major red flag.

KU is quite confident they'll land well. Interestingly, gauging their fans they want no part of the SEC. The B1G and ACC both appeal more to them in the Pac. Unsurprisingly, they put too much weight on their hoops appeal. KU hasn't had a season of more than 3 wins since 2009. They might want to work on that because another 5 years of this it becomes a major red flag.

KU + Mizzou makes the most sense for the B1G based on geography, AAU, etc.

That's actually how I think it breaks and pushes things to 16 with the Big 12 collapsing as a Power Conference -- B1G through either KU/MU or KU/OU.

Other possibility would be the SEC going for a bigger presence in Texas.

KU + Mizzou makes the most sense for the B1G based on geography, AAU, etc.

That's actually how I think it breaks and pushes things to 16 with the Big 12 collapsing as a Power Conference -- B1G through either KU/MU or KU/OU.

Other possibility would be the SEC going for a bigger presence in Texas.
the only part of this I can't work out is why would Mizzou leave the SEC? KU/OU to B1G seems like the path of less resistance.

the only part of this I can't work out is why would Mizzou leave the SEC? KU/OU to B1G seems like the path of less resistance.

SEC doesn't have a Grant of Rights or exit penalty. Mizzou wanted the B1G badly when it left the Big 12 and settled on SEC because at the end of the day they just wanted out. It has a lot to do with academic affiliations and we always have to remember it is the university presidents, not athletic directors, who make these decisions and employ the conference commissioners.

Wish the ACC had played their cards better over the last decade. Louisville is fine, but the academic stance in not wanting WVU is now unfounded. I'd rather have WVU with their solid football than certain apathetic and poor newish additions. Eers already have rivalries with Pitt, VT and UVA. They travel and fill stadiums.

Wish the ACC had played their cards better over the last decade. Louisville is fine, but the academic stance in not wanting WVU is now unfounded. I'd rather have WVU with their solid football than certain apathetic and poor newish additions. Eers already have rivalries with Pitt, VT and UVA. They travel and fill stadiums.

You might have kept Maryland if you had added WVU, too. (Or drove them out sooner. Not sure what the politics was on that one.)

You are because playoff fans never think it is enough. First it's 2-4 more teams, then the argument that the next two are close to the last two so why not add them, then why not go to 12, then 16, then? And it's not dramatic. The NCAA BB tourney used to be 16 then 24 teams. Now it is 64 plus the extra play in games that don't fit the bracket of 64.

College football is just fine the way it is. Screwing it up with an expanded playoff is not an improvement.

You might have kept Maryland if you had added WVU, too. (Or drove them out sooner. Not sure what the politics was on that one.)

Good enough relations to have a heated rivalry. Pitt is fine, but let's be real: VT @ WVU would make the ACC more big time than a half empty Heinz last night.

You are because playoff fans never think it is enough. First it's 2-4 more teams, then the argument that the next two are close to the last two so why not add them, then why not go to 12, then 16, then? And it's not dramatic. The NCAA BB tourney used to be 16 then 24 teams. Now it is 64 plus the extra play in games that don't fit the bracket of 64.

College football is just fine the way it is. Screwing it up with an expanded playoff is not an improvement.
I just don't agree with the last part. I have always maintained that college has the best regular season and the worst postseason of any major sport. The current CFP has been a step in the right direction, but I think it needs to be added to. Just because I think it needs 6 or 8 teams doesn't mean I will be lobbying for 12 or 16 teams years later. The NFL sits at 12 and I'm not asking for more. This is my opinion.

Good enough relations to have a heated rivalry. Pitt is fine, but let's be real: VT @ WVU would make the ACC more big time than a half empty Heinz last night.

West Virginia is geographically and culturally a much better fit for the ACC than the B12. WVU would have added a nationally known program to the conference making it a more appealing ticket and TV product.

If I am not mistaken they have traveled well in the past as well but B12 cities are a longer, harder trip. Most of the ACC schools are within driving distance of the WVU fans.

I just don't agree with the last part. I have always maintained that college has the best regular season and the worst postseason of any major sport. The current CFP has been a step in the right direction, but I think it needs to be added to. Just because I think it needs 6 or 8 teams doesn't mean I will be lobbying for 12 or 16 teams years later. The NFL sits at 12 and I'm not asking for more. This is my opinion.

And they are not going to have the best post season. It doesn't work with college teams and schedules and are not going to compete with pro playoffs. The regular season is the best but won't be when the emphasis moves to the post-season rather than getting there.

The old saying still applies. Don't try to fix what isn't broken.

The school that TJ found did has a heated rivalry with the couch burners?!?!?! I genuinely didn't know that.

The school that TJ found did has a heated rivalry with the couch burners?!?!?! I genuinely didn't know that.

Very heated incident occurred in the 1980s and they've refused to play us except for bowl games ever since (kicked their ass in 2002, 48-22). UVA leads series 12-10. Signs of things thawing with basketball series now being played.

Last edited:
4 is perfect, if conferences are that worried about it, go to 4 conferences and quit bitching. The bowl system +1 is what makes the regular season so great and I sure as hell would be pissed if we got rid of bowls and went to just a playoff because there is no reason to wish for less college football. even if north west Missouri state is playing Illinois tech, I still tune in.
4 is perfect if and only if there are 4 super conferences. All champions, only seeding is by committee. With the current situation, easy enough to use existing bowls to fill an 8 team playoff - that line of reasoning has no merit. And interesting cross-conference games can be had that may never have materialized otherwise. I think with the current conference/independents an 8 team playoff is perfect.

Agreed that WV would've been a good addition to the ACC and still would be, but then they would need another school to even it out at 16. The ACC snubs their nose at WV but they need to get over these "cultural fits" and be more concerned on what schools would bring the most value football-wise (this goes for the Pac 12 too). The ACC could use WV's football prowess.

Back