What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Conference Expansion - Big 12 is a tire fire

Rice doesn't move the needle at all.

How many people would tune in to watch a Rice-Washington State game?

I like the thinking out of the box, but it still goes back to the same old thing - teams that would be interested in coming in, and that don't have tons of baggage, don't move the needle.

There's no one out there that fits that Goldilocks description, and as such, no reason to discuss it.
Rice's fan support was my question as well. I'm not sure about their support throughout Houston Metro and TX as a whole. Maybe one of the resident Texans could shed some more light on what Rice's following is down there. When I noticed the stadium capacity I thought it might be sizable.

It's what I'm known for.

56,000 posts of "logic", references to "I" , "me", and "my", plus the warmest, friendliest, most inclusive charismatic personality any message board could ever hope to attract.

I don't think we see any realignment until one of the conferences decides to go to 16.

Maybe the ACC if Notre Dame gets tired of its low-paying (relatively) deal with NBC.

Maybe the B1G rips apart the Big 12 with Kansas & Oklahoma.

I don't think the PAC-12 will be the first mover by poaching to expand to 14. I don't think the Big 12 is capable of poaching a P5 or it would have done so. I don't think the SEC has any consensus on what it should want from expansion since some worry about watering down rivalries while others worry about overloading the football competition.

I didn't realize Rice had that kind of academic reputation before doing a big of research.

Their struggle is the student population, which leads to a long term challenge of athletic support. Reliant Stadium has a capacity greater than the number of all living alumni. They average around 20k/football game. That puts them closer to losing FBS status (average at least 15k over 2 years) than moving up in the world.

I didn't realize Rice had that kind of academic reputation before doing a big of research.

Their struggle is the student population, which leads to a long term challenge of athletic support. Reliant Stadium has a capacity greater than the number of all living alumni. They average around 20k/football game. That puts them closer to losing FBS status (average at least 15k over 2 years) than moving up in the world.

Thanks for the info.

I'm looking around for a fit with the conference that improves revenue but fits culturally and academically, but also makes sense travel-wise. Not easy, I guess.

Is UU any better or more prestigious than CSU? .

Accredited Law School. Accredited med school. Host of the Huntsman Cancer research center and treatment facilities. Strong biotech.

Decent to very good success in multiple sports prior to inclusion, including Olympic sport national championships in skiing and gymnastics.

I just live in Utah and am not invested, but they seem to have a lot in areas that matter to college presidents and AD's? Fort Collins has a kick ass vet school that is exactly the sort of thing these Academic elites thumb their nose at.

Adding Tulane and UNLV would be good just from the roadie standpoint. The PAC 14 is the conference of champions... and getting **** faced drunk.

I've walked through Rice's campus- it is the geekiest and most socially awkward collection of people I've ever seen. Very skeptical a rabid fanbase could develop from that bunch.

Back in the day, Rice's residential towers hosted a Night of Decadence (NoD). It is the only time in my life where I've been to a dorm party where the police at the door were checking ID's to let people inside. Once inside, each level of the tower was hosting a big Around the World theme, with each floor offering a different variety of garbage can punch and cheesy decorations. All those geeky inhibitions melted into snogging, canoodling, gropping, latex on, latex off, and general dyonisian debauchery.

My brother was a social coordinator at Rice and invited me down from Boulder to check out their NoD event. Imagine Stearns East and Sterns West towers throwing down without out RA intervention. I never saw a dorm party that big and that out of control in Boulder. (OK, Halloween Mall Crawl on Pearl kicked its ass)

In a drunken stupor, I gave my DL to this one girl and told her to get it back to me somehow. The next weekend she flew up to hang out with me in Vail.

I'll not forget my brother tossing a used condom out of a pizza box laying next to his bed to get at a half eaten pizza crust. This was time we elected for a run to Two Pesos for some hair of the dog and breakfast burritos.

Oh Rice, you are so under appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back in the day, Rice's residential towers hosted a Night of Decadence (NoD). It is the only time in my life where I've been to a dorm party where the police at the door were checking ID's to let people inside. Once inside, each level of the tower was hosting a big Around the World theme, with each floor offering a different drink and a cheesy decorations. All those geeky inhibitions melted into snogging, canoodling, gropping, latex on, latex off, and general dyonisian debauchery.

My brother was a social coordinator at Rice and invited me down from Boulder to check out their NoD event. Imagine Stearns East and Sterns West towers throwing down without out RA intervention. I never saw a college party that big and that out of control in a Boulder on Campus. (OK, Halloween Mall Crawl on Pearl kicked its ass)

In a drunken stupor, I gave my DL to this one girl and told her to get it back to me somehow. The next weekend she flew up to hang out with me in Vail.

I'll not forget my brother tossing a used condom out of a pizza box laying next to his bed to get to a half eaten pizza crust. At that point, it was time we elected for a trip to Two Pesos for some hair of the dog and and breakfast burritos.

Oh Rice, you are so under appreciated.
your Stanford trip report had some notable differences from this one.

SIAP (and actually surprised if it hasn't been yet)... The Big 12 is getting a CCG in 2017, but is not moving to two divisions. Instead it's just the top 2 teams. I think I like that better format better than divisions. Truly ensures the best two teams playing for title.

SIAP (and actually surprised if it hasn't been yet)... The Big 12 is getting a CCG in 2017, but is not moving to two divisions. Instead it's just the top 2 teams. I think I like that better format better than divisions. Truly ensures the best two teams playing for title.

Except that those teams already played for the title in the case of the Big 12. Got to beat a team twice for it to count even if you're 9-0 and 2nd place was 7-2? At least with divisions and 12 or 14 teams you have 2 "champions" who had to win different slates of games even if they already played each other. I think the Big "12" is just stacking stupid on top of stupid in order to make some extra cheddar.

Except that those teams already played for the title in the case of the Big 12. Got to beat a team twice for it to count even if you're 9-0 and 2nd place was 7-2? At least with divisions and 12 or 14 teams you have 2 "champions" who had to win different slates of games even if they already played each other. I think the Big "12" is just stacking stupid on top of stupid in order to make some extra cheddar.
+1

I don't understand how you differentiate between the two...

These and the "This" comments that do nothing else but show agreement with something another poster said are the most worthless posts that regularly appear on this board. Similar to your "Like" comment the other day after already clicking the "Like" button. We get it, you like/agree with a post. Click like and move on.
/rant [post gets promptly moved (or deleted) to the pet peeve thread]

I don't understand how you differentiate between the two...

The entire mantra and positioning of that conference was that everyone plays everyone equally so they have one true champion. I agreed with that. Then they named TCU & Baylor co-champs. Now they're adding a title game that is unnecessary to their format. It is stupid and clearly a money grab with no other justification. The PAC-12 can't play 11-game conference schedules. Unbalanced schedules within the conference call for divisions and a title game to get close to having "one true champion". Sure, expansion and title game additions was a money grab, but at least it makes sense from a competitive standpoint.

The entire mantra and positioning of that conference was that everyone plays everyone equally so they have one true champion. I agreed with that. Then they named TCU & Baylor co-champs. Now they're adding a title game that is unnecessary to their format. It is stupid and clearly a money grab with no other justification. The PAC-12 can't play 11-game conference schedules. Unbalanced schedules within the conference call for divisions and a title game to get close to having "one true champion". Sure, expansion and title game additions was a money grab, but at least it makes sense from a competitive standpoint.
Gotcha and that makes sense. I find it funny, though, that 2 years ago when the B12 was left out of the CFP, everybody laughed at them because they didn't have a CCG. Now, 2 years later, they add one and people say it's stupid....

Gotcha and that makes sense. I find it funny, though, that 2 years ago when the B12 was left out of the CFP, everybody laughed at them because they didn't have a CCG. Now, 2 years later, they add one and people say it's stupid....
Because they only have 10 teams and not separate divisions.

Feinbaum made another great point just now - divisions avoid a scheduling mess with a CCG. Imagine 2 teams going into the final week undefeated and slated to play. Should they bother playing and risking an injury since the game doesn't matter and they'll be playing again next week to decide the title? Treat it like you're an NFL team in week 16 that already secured home field?

These and the "This" comments that do nothing else but show agreement with something another poster said are the most worthless posts that regularly appear on this board. Similar to your "Like" comment the other day after already clicking the "Like" button. We get it, you like/agree with a post. Click like and move on.
Who died and made you the board etiquette expert?

Your cries for attention are getting extra pathetic lately.

(Fyi, not +1)

Who died and made you the board etiquette expert?
Not exactly an etiquette thing, Sack. I just find it funny how Darth mostly piggybacks off other, much smart posters in the football threads, with posts like that. I then decided to post a rant explaining my opinion.
Your cries for attention are getting extra pathetic lately.

(Fyi, not +1)
Cries for attention? Your worthless piggybacking off nik and Duff's football takes in every thread reek of just that.

I make this same argument against expanded playoffs. One team goes 13--0 including a CCG and your eighth seed lost 3 games including one to another team in the playoff and they get the trophy. I don't buy it.

B12 is a disaster zone anyways. Bottom end schools gladly taking scraps and letting the big 2-3 do whatever they want to stay included. What other P5 conference would take Iowa State, Kansas State, Tech, etc.?

I make this same argument against expanded playoffs. One team goes 13--0 including a CCG and your eighth seed lost 3 games including one to another team in the playoff and they get the trophy. I don't buy it.

B12 is a disaster zone anyways. Bottom end schools gladly taking scraps and letting the big 2-3 do whatever they want to stay included. What other P5 conference would take Iowa State, Kansas State, Tech, etc.?
The highest ranked 3 loss team is typically around #10 in the country at the end of the year, so that doesn't really hold any water. Why shouldn't a 2 loss team have the opportunity to beat an undefeated team in a tournament for the National Championship?

The highest ranked 3 loss team is typically around #10 in the country at the end of the year, so that doesn't really hold any water. Why shouldn't a 2 loss team have the opportunity to beat an undefeated team in a tournament for the National Championship?

If you go to an 8 team playoff try to tell me that a 3 loss SEC team won't find it's way in.

As to why a 2 loss team shouldn't have the chance. BECAUSE THEY LOST TWO GAMES! If I want to watch games that don't really matter I will watch a good portion of the NFL schedule. College football is special because every game matters.

The NCAA BB tournament is a great event but nobody even bothers with games in December. Why? Because they are almost meaningless since all that matters is are you good enough to get a decent seed in the tourney and a couple losses before New Years doesn't make much difference.

The idea that a team goes undefeated in a major conference then loses out in a one off to a team that lost multiple games diminishes the value of both the season and the championship.

If you want playoffs watch the NFL or better yet hockey where half the teams get in. What's wrong with a team that barely wins half their games getting to eliminate a team that over the year won more than any other team. It may make a good story but it is hardly a way of picking the best team for that year.

Back