1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CSU's OL

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by sliderNcider, Sep 2, 2009.

1. sliderNcider

sliderNcider MacLovin Club Member

The lammies have a lot of confidence in their offense because statistically their OL is the NCAA's most experienced unit. Too bad they gave up 27 sacks last year. Arguably their best OL Shelley Smith is now 50/50 for the game with an ankle injury.

Our DL should be able to match up pretty well imo.....

2. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

Just like last year, I have high expectations that this is going to be our best game from our Dline...

3. dio

dio Admin Club Member Junta Member

I'm not worried about them. Just because they are all seniors doesn't mean they are any good :lol:

We had good pressure against them last season.

4. dply

dply Doble hoja Club Member

Didn't Shelley Smith cover the Kobe case for ESPN?

5. sliderNcider

sliderNcider MacLovin Club Member

Although our OL is far less experienced, I think our overall talent far exceeds theirs. Especially with Shelley Smith questionable. Didn't we sack them 5 times last year?

6. Junction

Junction Moderator Club Member

Yes. If she's now playing OG, she has apparently lost a lot of weight since then.... :smile2:

BuffNut99 likes this.
  7. SkiTownUSA

SkiTownUSA Administrator Club Member Junta Member

I actually think that their OL will be the strongest part of their game. But without an experienced QB, and the loss of Gartrell and Bell they shouldn't be moving the ball too well. We stomp em.

8. NashBuff

NashBuff CSU Knob-Slobberer

If we control CSU's OL with our DL, we should win this game easily. That is the key matchup I am looking at for the CSU-CU game.

9. CarolinaBuff

CarolinaBuff Weekend Poster Club Member

Which is one of the most dangerous matchups for us because it's their strength against our weakness.

10. GoBuffs08

GoBuffs08 Well-Known Member

However good the lambs O line might be is going to be offset by a crappy QB. As long as our D line plays decent against the run there will be no problems.

If we can keep them from running it will be a blowout!

11. BuffNut99

BuffNut99 Club Member Club Member

LOL - beat me to it

12. Rraalph 3000

Rraalph 3000 Well-Known Member

I think this will be a good test for our DL, yet one that they shouldn't be able to rise up and succeed...As I recall last year we didn't have too much trouble with this group, we did a solid job slowing up the running game & creating pressure. Throwing in a new QB & new RB (both shaky albeit), also definately helps the case.

Really, the biggest mismatch should be our OL vs. their DL.

13. Hugegroove

Hugegroove Club Member Club Member

Their OL has played together longer than any other OL currently in Div 1 football. They also are in the top 10 for the number of starts they have played in each game. As much as I hate to admit it, as a unit, they ended up playing well together the second half of last season. If we can get up on them by 3 or more scores, it should alter their game plan considerably.

14. snakeyman

snakeyman Snake Charmer Club Member

Is that UCLA RB transfer eligible this year for them? Anyway, I agree about their OL v. Buff DL. That is the match up of the game if there is one. If the Buff DL gets consistent pressure, it'll be over early.

15. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

I think they're pretty good, though Smith being out would change things. Not sold on our defensive line.

16. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

The nice thing is that even if they do have a good O-Line, our D-Backs should be good enough to cover their receivers pretty well. That will free up the linebackers to stuff the run and put pressure on the QB.

17. 4DemBuffs

4DemBuffs Most admired poster Club Member

is it just me or does it seem like every year, no matter what, there are always one or two CSU WR/TE's that make our defensive backfield look like complete fools?

for some reason, i expect the same this year. it just seems like its written in stone somewhere. :huh:

18. sackman

I remember in 2006 when they ran that infernal WR screen over and over again to Morton & Walker. I thought I was going to kill somebody. That's not even that hard of a play to defend. We lost that game by 4 points and probably gave up over 100 yards on that play alone. :bang:

19. Bill Cody

Bill Cody Well-Known Member

This is just 1st game of the year mistakes. One of the down sides of playing CSU in the first game every year. There are always communication issues in the secondary (read mental mistakes) when live bullets start flying.

It isn't one of their receivers dominating our DB's as much as them running freely when we have a coverage breakdown.

We do it to them too. It is part of what can make this game so gut wrenching...hoping that we make fewer critical mistakes then them.:sad1:

20. 4DemBuffs

4DemBuffs Most admired poster Club Member

i could buy that to a point. but, anderson and that damn 21st year senior TE they had the last few years were nothing new. they had tape on them. they knew what to expect. they had played against them several times. it could not have been a suprise to anyone what those guys were capable of.

that being said, i understand your point and its valid. but damn.....:huh:

21. Bill Cody

Bill Cody Well-Known Member

Really depends on what coverage they're running. CU typically hasn't played a lot of Man to man or man under. No matter how good the receiver is, if you are running cover 2 and two DB's think that the other guy is going to pick him up....you're going to have someone wide open. Trust me when I say that it really is a communication issue and nothing else. That being said, Sperry was a specimen....he'll make plays on a 5'9" DB ALL DAY LONG.

I expect that with the experience that we have in our D backfield this year, these issues should be kept at a minumum.

22. canuck_buff

canuck_buff Active Member

They are what they are! College talent at a mediocre level. there is a reason these players are at CSU! They are the left over ****in talent of recruiting. They are nothing more than the Bologna of meats. To give them more credibility is pathetic. NFL fa guys ? you are kidding me right ? Best dream these ****ers could achieve is Vegas bouncers.

23. Skidmark

Skidmark Flagship of the 12-Pac Club Member

Andy Rooney, Giraldo Rivera, Gilbert Godfried and Joan Rivers have lots of experience, too.

But they suck.

24. buffs04

buffs04 Well-Known Member

Our DL is an enormous question mark. I will not personally count on them dominating anyone, much less the most experienced OL in the country.

I really just don't see the reasoning there.

CU will win games despite our DL, not because of it. Not one of our guys is a proven, experienced player and none of them are so wildly, outrageously talented that they can be reasonably expected to dominate right away.

25. rodrigo

rodrigo Well-Known Member

The master has spoken.

26. dply

dply Doble hoja Club Member

buffs04 = buffmania?

27. PurifydatA$$

PurifydatA$$ Member

I think this game will be great practice for our D-Line which will include at least 2 freshmen and I expect we will win this one almost regardless of how the D-Line plays. As has been mentioned, our secondary and LBs are strong enough to cover up for most mistakes by the d-line.

My expectation is that our SPECIAL TEAMS unit will be the most shaky this first game - it's always hardest to get that group consistent without actual game experience; remember the back-to-back kickoffs returned for TD's last year, it was due mainly to rusty special teams. I'd like to see some strong kick & punt returns from our guys, but more importantly I want good coverage on our punts & kicks to win the field position battle.

28. JimmyBuff

JimmyBuff Well-Known Member

I have to be honest, I thought Fairchild called a really bad game last year for CSU.. I was surprised they didn't stick to the run more because they were pushing us around at times last year.. I think that Johnson kid got only 10 or so carries and almost had 100 yards.. He easily could have had a 150 yard plus game last year against us.. Luckily for us he's not there and I don't know if CSU has a RB of that caliber.

I agree with Boulder Buff, I'm not sold on our DL either and I'm not as high on our LB's as most around here are.. I need to see some players making plays behind the line of scrimmage before I change my opinion on the front 7.. And I've seen 3 years of Hawk/Collins defenses get considerably worse as the season goes on.. I think there's a lot of questions still on the defense and whether we have the players to compete in the Big 12 up front..

The secondary has some playmakers provided they get some help up front.. I love our safeties now and I'm expecting big things from them.. :thumbsup:

29. Wyo Buff

Wyo Buff Club Member Club Member

MY NAME IS SUE!!!! HOW DO YOU DO!!! NOW YOU GONNA DIE!!!

Wait, maybe it should be . . . . MY NAME IS SHELLY!!! JIGGLE MY BELLY!!! NOW YOU GONNA DIE!!!

1 person likes this.
  30. sackman

Yes, but will they be what we think they are?