What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU @ Air Force

Not that it matters, but is there a more mediocre RB room than the one Hagan has assembled in 2022? I fully expect a starting P5 RB to be able to make one guy miss in the open field, but I don’t remember the last time Fontenot did that. Deion Smith showed more explosiveness, but limited vision and zero ability to get the tough yards.

All we hear every offseason from Hagan is the young RBs aren’t ready because they can’t pass pro. Well, at some point, it’s Hagan’s job to get his players ready to play, especially when his position is the easiest transition from HS to college, and there are underclassmen routinely making an impact around the country.

Hagan’s position group has never been the problem, but it’s also never been the solution.

Not that it matters, but is there a more mediocre RB room than the one Hagan has assembled in 2022? I fully expect a starting P5 RB to be able to make one guy miss in the open field, but I don’t remember the last time Fontenot did that. Deion Smith showed more explosiveness, but limited vision and zero ability to get the tough yards.

All we hear every offseason from Hagan is the young RBs aren’t ready because they can’t pass pro. Well, at some point, it’s Hagan’s job to get his players ready to play, especially when his position is the easiest transition from HS to college, and there are underclassmen routinely making an impact around the country.

Hagan’s position group has never been the problem, but it’s also never been the solution.
Totally agree. He seems to get pass with every coaching change and reshuffling that takes place.
Wasn’t it his job to hold onto Broussard?

On the targeting you can argue the letter of the rule all you want.

Simple fact is that hit gets called targeting in any conference in the country.

We have seen it enough times before to know what is coming.

As long as CTE is in the headlines that call gets made. It is on the coaches and players to adjust.

Totally agree. He seems to get pass with every coaching change and reshuffling that takes place.
Wasn’t it his job to hold onto Broussard?
Ultimate accountability falls on KD, but yes, Hagan has eluded any criticism for Brou transferring. He’s purely a mediocre coach and recruiter

Ultimate accountability falls on KD, but yes, Hagan has eluded any criticism for Brou transferring. He’s purely a mediocre coach and recruiter
It goes beyond that, though. Every RB on the roster transferred who was recruited after the Class of 2018. Yes, we have to go back to MacIntyre recruiting- and not even his last class. Fontenot (2017) and Smith (2018) are all that returned. 3 entire classes are gone. And I don't count Stacks, because he's a fullback.

It goes beyond that, though. Every RB on the roster transferred who was recruited after the Class of 2018. Yes, we have to go back to MacIntyre recruiting- and not even his last class. Fontenot (2017) and Smith (2018) are all that returned. 3 entire classes are gone. And I don't count Stacks, because he's a fullback.
Another alarming statistic in a long list of alarming statistics

On the targeting you can argue the letter of the rule all you want.

Simple fact is that hit gets called targeting in any conference in the country.

We have seen it enough times before to know what is coming.

As long as CTE is in the headlines that call gets made. It is on the coaches and players to adjust.
Then start penalizing the ball carrier.

We are now so bad, we have almost no chance of bringing in a quality new head coach. We are officially a “coach killer” program, and that’s entirely on the administration and RG.

I was worried we would have to do a full rebuild from the ground up. Now, I don’t see how when even have a direct line to doing that. We need to find a MM level coach to stabilize things a bit and set a better base line, and THEN maybe we can attract a coach with a chance to pull us back up into moderate respectability. That represents years and years of bad football to come—again.

Huge huge hole. And any quality players we have are gone at the end of the year (or before)—why risk injury or losing a red-shirt year for this team?

If Owen doesn’t play this year, he’ll never appear on the field for us.

Last edited:
Didn’t he score twice yesterday? For a winning team?
But was their offense “efficient”? I wonder if they were truly “multiple.” Did they show leadership? Is theirs a team that all gets along and is committed together?

Apparently, our team is great at soft language off the field and even better at soft play on the field.

But was their offense “efficient”? I wonder if they were truly “multiple.” Did they show leadership? Is theirs a team that all gets along and is committed together?

Apparently, our team is great at soft language off the field and even better at soft play on the field.
Our team is not great at those things either. They are just easier to lie about.

I don’t know how Hagan is supposed to convince a quality RB that that player is—really—going to have a chance at a good career at CU, behind a quality OL, with a sound, run-committed, creative scheme—and enjoy some winning. The kids can see reality.

He was the “magic man” ON the field, but he’s not capable of performing actual magic off it.

I’m not that guy that automatically wants to hire ex-players, but Phil L. is probably done with the NFL and he’d be a heck of an RB recruiter as RB coach. Maybe time for DH to retire….

I’m not that guy that automatically wants to hire ex-players, but Phil L. is probably done with the NFL and he’d be a heck of an RB recruiter as RB coach. Maybe time for DH to retire….
He’d be a heck of a recruiter and coach based on what? He might be good/great and might even be worth a shot but there’s no evidence that he can do either

He’d be a heck of a recruiter and coach based on what? He might be good/great and might even be worth a shot but there’s no evidence that he can do either
I base it on his high energy personality. And anyway, there’s not a lot of evidence that DH can either recruit or coach. Pretty good at putting guys in his doghouse though.

I base it on his high energy personality. And anyway, there’s not a lot of evidence that DH can either recruit or coach. Pretty good at putting guys in his doghouse though.
Agree on DH but replacing him with Lindsay doesn’t really make sense. Assuming Lindsay has any interest in coaching at the college level.

Maybe if Phil wanted to come back for grad studies and be an assistant? He’s got heart, and I’m sure if the passion to coach was there, he’d do well. He still has a finger’s grasp on his career in the NFL for now.

Hagan is another of those anchors that the administration has decided this program is going to have to drag along. Somebody, likely above RG but RG has accepted it, has said that Hagan will a part of our staff and any coach hired will just deal with it.

I like Hagan and think it is a positive to have him in the building. I've heard reports of him helping some players through some tough issues in their lives and he has the credibility to do that.

Give him an office, make him a consultant, and let the program move on to somebody who can be a better coach.

Then start penalizing the ball carrier.
They made it clear from day one that the penalty would not be called on a ballcarrier in the tackle box from day one.

You can argue if that is how the rule should be but that is how they have called it very consistently.

Like it or not defensive coaches and players have to adjust, we didn't.

The call was not one that should be a surprise to anyone.

And to the earlier complaint, putting a helmet on a ball in the ballcarriers arms is one that is not called targeting. Again if you don't like the rule fine but that is how the game is played and called, deal with it.

They made it clear from day one that the penalty would not be called on a ballcarrier in the tackle box from day one.

You can argue if that is how the rule should be but that is how they have called it very consistently.

Like it or not defensive coaches and players have to adjust, we didn't.

The call was not one that should be a surprise to anyone.

And to the earlier complaint, putting a helmet on a ball in the ballcarriers arms is one that is not called targeting. Again if you don't like the rule fine but that is how the game is played and called, deal with it.
So why wasn’t the Air Force tackler ejected when he clearly and blatantly speared Fontenot in the head causing the fumble at the goal line?

I wasn’t surprised at all that Woods was ejected. It was clearly “targeting” as rule is written.

Back