What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU Assistant Coach Hiring Thread

We all knew it would be Shurmur, right? Not sure what the shock and dread is all about.

if shurmur was nailed on all along i wonder why its only getting "officially" announced now

its not shock and dread, just disappointment that what many people consider to be an underwhelming choice got "officially" confirmed

Shurmur plus a couple Jackson State guys and an OL coach who's never done it. Oh boy.
Well, they hired an experienced OL coach last year and the offensive line was an embarrassment, so…

Loadholt has done it as a pro and has at least been learning under who is regarded as one of the best (if not the best) line coaches in college football who has gotten a ton of lineman drafted.

I’m confused as to why they don’t appear to have a DC yet. And I don’t understand the thought process behind not actually having a special teams coach.

if shurmur was nailed on all along i wonder why its only getting "officially" announced now

its not shock and dread, just disappointment that what many people consider to be an underwhelming choice got "officially" confirmed
They might have been negotiating with other candidates too. We don’t know.

Well, they hired an experienced OL coach last year and the offensive line was an embarrassment, so…

Loadholt has done it as a pro and has at least been learning under who is regarded as one of the best (if not the best) line coaches in college football who has gotten a ton of lineman drafted.

I’m confused as to why they don’t appear to have a DC yet. And I don’t understand the thought process behind not actually having a special teams coach.
BOB was experienced at the G5 and lower level, not at P5

Sanford was an "I know he'll accept" candidate. So was Shurmur. I expected more from this regime.
Prime clearly thinks highly of Shurmur.

It's more of a, "Broncos fans have trauma" hire.

The timing of it all is confusing, but that can be said of pretty much every press release under Prime.

I could speculate on 100 acenarios that unfolded. The least likely of all, to me, is that Prime was being risk averse.

You think Prime went with Shurmur because nobody else would accept? I think you underestimate Shurmur as a respected coach and the relationship they have.
It's a little odd how noncommittal Prime was about the OC after the season saying "yeah most likely" about Shurmur and then not saying anything for weeks until it randomly drops in a video that it's official. It's like he wasn't even excited that this is how it ended up

I'm an optimistic person, so obviously this thread is pissing me off. . . But as far as optimism goes: I want coaches who Shedeur has familiarity and continuity with. If the Oline is fixed, I don't give a **** if Matt Patricia is the OC, we are going to be fine.

It's a little odd how noncommittal Prime was about the OC after the season saying "yeah most likely" about Shurmur and then not saying anything for weeks until it randomly drops in a video that it's official. It's like he wasn't even excited that this is how it ended up
I don’t know, he didn’t officially announce any assistants including Shurmur, Loadholt, Phillips, Bartolone move to TE, Dancy, etc. The fan-demanded timeline and announcement process is weird. Prime is making sure his in-house media outlets make the announcements and get the views.

I don’t know, he didn’t officially announce any assistants including Shurmur, Loadholt, Phillips, Bartolone move to TE, Dancy, etc. The fan-demanded timeline and announcement process is weird. Prime is making sure his in-house media outlets make the announcements and get the views.
It's getting more of the diehards to consume the content in the season

You think Prime went with Shurmur because nobody else would accept? I think you underestimate Shurmur as a respected coach and the relationship they have.
I feel like its been heading that way shortly after Adam said he'd have an OC hotboard if he thought it was somebody other than Leftwich. Could it be something as simple as Prime trusts Shurmur? Sure, but I think the way Lewis was handled doesn't help. I think he's an average play caller, and I'm skeptical he can recruit. It also feels like an all eggs in the 2024 basket hire. Not that's a bad thing.....but are we here again next year?
Prime clearly thinks highly of Shurmur.

It's more of a, "Broncos fans have trauma" hire.

The timing of it all is confusing, but that can be said of pretty much every press release under Prime.

I could speculate on 100 acenarios that unfolded. The least likely of all, to me, is that Prime was being risk averse.
I think he wants people he trusts, for one. The offensive staff is all Jackson guys, Shurmur, and Loadholt (who IIRC played for Shurmur in Minnesota). This is a big year for this program under him because Shedeur and Travis are going pro. I think he thinks he needs to deliver, and it has nothing to do with what we think. 1-8 in the Pac 12 pissed him off.

Last edited:
I feel like its been heading that way shortly after Adam said he'd have an OC hotboard if he thought it was somebody other than Leftwich. Could it be something as simple as Prime trusts Shurmur? Sure, but I think the way Lewis was handled doesn't help. I think he's an average play caller, and I'm skeptical he can recruit. It also feels like an all eggs in the 2024 basket hire. Not that's a bad thing.....but are we here again next year?

I think he wants people he trusts, for one. The offensive staff is all Jackson guys, Shurmur, and Loadholt (who IIRC played for Shurmur in Minnesota). This is a big year for this program under him because Shedeur and Travis are going pro. I think he thinks he needs to deliver, and it has nothing to do with what we think. 1-8 in the Pac 12 pissed him off.
When Prime was hired, he said he only works with people he has personal relationships with, knows and trusts implicitly, or people who have come as high recommendations from people he knows and trusts implicitly. Lewis and BOB fell into the second category and their presence clearly didn't mesh with what Prime had in mind, Shedeur's abilities, or the OL talent they were able to bring in.

The offensive "success" in 2023 was pure smoke and mirrors outside of TCU and when they seemingly made no adjustments during the Bye week and things looked worse than ever against UCLA, it was time to make a change in an attempt to salvage the season. It didn't work. Ok. Lewis still got a HC job and BOB is the OL coach in the B1G somehow. Spare me the "How Prime handled Lewis didn't help" talk.

When the OC hot board consisted of Leftwich and Shurmur from the beginning, I'm not sure why the Lewis situation is viewed as something that deterred other candidates. Seems pretty clear that CP was between those two guys, probably wanted Leftwich, but there's a lot of uncertainty with the Steelers going forward and who knows what Leftwich ultimately told Prime.

To answer your last question to me, yes, I think Prime is going to move coaches in and out on a yearly basis, including coordinators, depending on what he thinks is best. If the OL protects Shedeur this year, this team is going to win a lot of games and Shurmur is going to look great (as will the entire offensive staff that people are dogging right now). A lot of guys are going to have other opportunities to move up.

Back