What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU Buffs hire former Minnesota OC Mike Sanford as their new OC

No one thought a Lebby or Briles type was realistic? A Marion type was. Guys at G5 schools that hadn't regressed every offense they touched were realistic. Up-and-coming position coaches that were well thought of were realistic. This was a **** hire by a **** HC and a **** AD.
I agree it isn't a splash hire, but really, who could they get? Do we know Marion would take the job? A guy with 2 years as OC, one at Howard and one at William and Mary is so much better than Mike Sanford? How do you get there? For the life of me, I have no idea how you can say with any certainty Marion would be better than Sanford at this point. In all fairness, I cannot say the opposite would be true either. I am mildly pleased an experienced college OC is now on staff, and one that isn't pushing retirement age.

Karl's interview process:

KD: have you ever been successful?
Candidate 1: Yes, my history of promotions and progressively larger roles shows that.
KD: That’s nice. Have things gotten worse under your watch everywhere you've been?
Candidate 1: No, quite the opposite. And here's my plan to fix things at CU.
KD: No need for that. We'll discuss as a staff and get back to you.

KD: have you ever been successful?
Candidate 2: Maybe?
KD: Very intriguing. Have things gotten worse under your watch everywhere you've been?
Candidate 2: I guess.
KD: You'll fit right in. You're hired.

I don't hate it... and even if you do, you still want him to succeed.

RC at Yale and Stanford... OC/QBC at Boise State, ND, Utah State and Minny, was HC at Western Kentucky. So you have an offensive coordinator and QB coach who can recruit. He's got connections and should be able to get a solid WR coach in...

A lot of people hate this hire for reasons that have nothing to do with Sanford and everything to do with having their hearts set on another candidate and the unrealistic expectations they had surrounding him.

Minny's QB played like dog**** that day. Completed like 30% of his passes. Minny rushed for 4.0 ypc, outgained BGSU by 50 yds and lost because they turned the ball over 3 or 4 times IIRC.

No, being held to 10 points is embarassing, but what the hell was Minny doing giving up 14 at home?
Bowling green was 2-6 in the MAC this year too.

I don't hate it... and even if you do, you still want him to succeed.

RC at Yale and Stanford... OC/QBC at Boise State, ND, Utah State and Minny, was HC at Western Kentucky. So you have an offensive coordinator and QB coach who can recruit. He's got connections and should be able to get a solid WR coach in...

A lot of people hate this hire for reasons that have nothing to do with Sanford and everything to do with having their hearts set on another candidate and the unrealistic expectations they had surrounding him.

I hate the hire because we just hired an OC who only finished 11 spots higher than CU in passing offense this last season and CU was HISTORICALLY bad on offense this season.

Good news is there is statistically no possible way Sanford could make the Buffs offense regress.
Over It Abandon Thread GIF

I think anyone who isn't upset about the hire should go read @The Alabaster Yak 's post #1708 is the Barzil staff thread. There is no way, once looking at the stats, that anyone can logically defend this hire. It's atrocious and the only thing he might be better than Chev at is recruiting and I doubt that KD will actually push him to recruit here because he obviously didn't care if Chev recruited or not

I agree it isn't a splash hire, but really, who could they get? Do we know Marion would take the job? A guy with 2 years as OC, one at Howard and one at William and Mary is so much better than Mike Sanford? How do you get there? For the life of me, I have no idea how you can say with any certainty Marion would be better than Sanford at this point. In all fairness, I cannot say the opposite would be true either. I am mildly pleased an experienced college OC is now on staff, and one that isn't pushing retirement age.
And similar to how no one thought we were going to get a Briles or Lebby type, no one said Marion was a guaranteed success.

Let me put it this way. Imagine you are CEO of a company (CU football head coach/athletic director) and you were at a tipping point where the industry was changing drastically (NIL, upcoming TV deals, CFP changes). And you need to hire a CFO (Offensive Coordinator) to change the fortunes of your company before you got left behind as the industry evolves past you. You can choose one of two candidates.

Candidate A:

- Has made each company financially worse off at every company he's gone to in the last 10 years.
- Just got fired from his last company as CFO because he wasn't cutting it
- shareholders from his last company absolutely despise him because he was dropping their stock holdings value
- has not shown anything innovative in the industry while he's been in the CFO position
- BUT he does have experience as a CFO which, in all fairness, cannot be discounted
- He's also gotten jobs at bigger and bigger companies even though he hasn't improved the companies he's being hired away from

Candidate B:

- Has innovative industry changing concepts that he's helped higher ups implement at companies he's been at
- Is very well thought of by peers and is thought to be the next big up and coming CFO
- has not been recently fired for poor performance
- shareholders would be PISSED if he left the company even though he's not the CFO
- BUT he has never held a CEO role so he has boom or bust potential

Now you're the CEO and you're making the hire. Your livelihood (CU's chance of returning to at least relevant) likely depends on it. Do you take candidate A who, historical results say he's probably going to seal the fate of your company sinking and falling behind forever? Or do you take candidate B who hasn't ever gotten the chance to prove himself but could potentially take you to new heights in your region (PAC-12) with the chance that he also fails and your company goes under?

Fvck this sh!t. Mediocre program, mediocre coaches. KD going with the super safety pup hire. It will be awesome watching a guy like Marion go somewhere and absolutely tear it up.
I guess the good news is he'll get canned with the rest of them after next year's 3-9 debacle and it just won't matter.

Last edited:
And similar to how no one thought we were going to get a Briles or Lebby type, no one said Marion was a guaranteed success.

Let me put it this way. Imagine you are CEO of a company (CU football head coach/athletic director) and you were at a tipping point where the industry was changing drastically (NIL, upcoming TV deals, CFP changes). And you need to hire a CFO (Offensive Coordinator) to change the fortunes of your company before you got left behind as the industry evolves past you. You can choose one of two candidates.

Candidate A:

- Has made each company financially worse off at every company he's gone to in the last 10 years.
- Just got fired from his last company as CFO because he wasn't cutting it
- shareholders from his last company absolutely despise him because he was dropping their stock holdings value
- has not shown anything innovative in the industry while he's been in the CFO position
- BUT he does have experience as a CFO which, in all fairness, cannot be discounted
- He's also gotten jobs at bigger and bigger companies even though he hasn't improved the companies he's being hired away from

Candidate B:

- Has innovative industry changing concepts that he's helped higher ups implement at companies he's been at
- Is very well thought of by peers and is thought to be the next big up and coming CFO
- has not been recently fired for poor performance
- shareholders would be PISSED if he left the company even though he's not the CFO
- BUT he has never held a CEO role so he has boom or bust potential

Now you're the CEO and you're making the hire. Your livelihood (CU's chance of returning to at least relevant) likely depends on it. Do you take candidate A who, historical results say he's probably going to seal the fate of your company sinking and falling behind forever? Or do you take candidate B who hasn't ever gotten the chance to prove himself but could potentially take you to new heights in your region (PAC-12) with the chance that he also fails and your company goes under?
How much am I being paid as the CEO in this scenario?

Neither of them could have ever gotten the Notre Dame job or a D1 HC job and he's had all that at a young age. I don't think you just fall into those positions.
He had one year as an OC at Boise State where he had a solid year in points scored, but so did his predecessor and his successor. He somehow parlayed that one year into OC at ND where they had a good first season and then went 4-8 his second ranked 53rd nationally in scoring.

Again, somehow parlayed that “success” into a HC job at Western Kentucky where he ran that offense into the ground and the rest of his suck I’ve already documented.

Basically, he had a rise to coaching stardom as a position coach and recruiting coordinator, that he parlayed into the OC at Boise (his alma mater btw) and then inexplicably got the ND job. There’s really no evidence that suggests he is actually a good designer of offense or playcaller

Pretty worried that his offenses seem to be based on having a dominate OL. It's a good theory but so far away from CU reality. This is not an inspiring hire. But a few more changes and a few short years and we will be 6-6

Back