What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU Buffs hire former Minnesota OC Mike Sanford as their new OC

Andy Samberg Yes GIF by The Lonely Island

This should be a pretty simple process for RRG:
1) ignore everything Karl Dorell says
2) find a young coach with TX or CA recruiting ties who has experience with a high powered RPO offense
3) Hire John David Baker from Ole Miss as the OC

This should be a pretty simple process for RRG:
1) ignore everything Karl Dorell says
2) find a young coach with TX or CA recruiting ties who has experience with a high powered RPO offense
3) Hire John David Baker from Ole Miss as the OC
A punter with 3 names who couldn't kick with both feet?

JFC they really aren't going to move on this until after signing day? For some reason CU can't do both, but every other school can. This admin/ coaching staff are so small time, it's pathetic. So sick of their bull****.
The candidate also has to be willing to leave his current job before signing day for CU to announce it before signing day.

The candidate also has to be willing to leave his current job before signing day for CU to announce it before signing day.
Which is not an impediment anywhere.

On the bright side, 12/15 is also the last day of final exams. Classes start again on 1/10, but everyone gets back a week ahead of that. So we should have a new OC by the first week in January.

Which is not an impediment anywhere.

On the bright side, 12/15 is also the last day of final exams. Classes start again on 1/10, but everyone gets back a week ahead of that. So we should have a new OC by the first week in January.
I admire your optimism.

I'll be pleasantly surprised if we have someone in place before the holiday dead period ends.

Hell, I'll be happy with an announcement before the February signing day.

Low expectations ftw!

I admire your optimism.

I'll be pleasantly surprised if we have someone in place before the holiday dead period ends.

Hell, I'll be happy with an announcement before the February signing day.

Low expectations ftw!
This hire is a tipping point for me.

If it ends up being an uninspired disappointment, then being a CU football fan is officially about enjoying an occasional Saturday to see friends & enjoy a tailgate, Ralphie run and maybe a decent game at Folsom.

Beyond that, being a CU fan is about enjoying basketball for as long as Tad keeps the program relevant in spite of horrible support.

This hire is a tipping point for me.

If it ends up being an uninspired disappointment, then being a CU football fan is officially about enjoying an occasional Saturday to see friends & enjoy a tailgate, Ralphie run and maybe a decent game at Folsom.

Beyond that, being a CU fan is about enjoying basketball for as long as Tad keeps the program relevant in spite of horrible support.
The analogies with Colorado Rockies baseball are hard to ignore. Nice game day experience, good time in reasonably nice weather, on field product meh to brutal.

Oh, and given transplants in the state, the opposing teams fans show up in embarrassing numbers.

I figure KD has to do recruiting (Liberty is hard to keep away from the recruits) then he can settle in and do some Christmas shopping as well as compile a list of people he has worked with before that can maybe cobble together a playbook.

Then he can contact them after New Years and then maybe interview in the following weeks. Then the background should take a couple weeks, then he can announce the OC along with whatever leftovers we pick up in late January - early February.

We can't forget he has to hire an OL/WR coach too. Maybe even a QB coach if Langsdorf runs off elsewhere. That's a lot going on, way too much to do all at once.

I just Don't understand and am tired of trying to. What I do know, is CU is just making it harder to recruit and hurting themselves.
You would think they would want a coach and a system in place to recruit for.

what I also know or have learned over the years. CU is really good at keeping these searches and hires really tightly lipped and silent.

The Dolphins look like they have a legit shot at making the playoffs so Grizzard won’t be available until sometime in January.

I actually think the bigger issue is who our Ath Dept perceives we are vs how the "market" perceives our program. The delay probably stems from the initial list we have being nowhere based in reality. I'm sure we're getting a bunch of, "thanks for reaching out, but no thanks" responses from our first choices. Once RG has blown through that list, he'll hit those tier 2 and 3 groups and it's then when we'll start getting some traction and some news.
So where was Whipple on our list, first choice, second choice? Is CU fishing in the same pond as Nebraska? Or have the Nubs settled while CU is still aiming high? Are RG and KD chasing unlikely candidates or are they unprepared?

I can respect a quiet search, I don’t want to go through the circus Tennessee does when they have to hire a coach, but any positive news on the search is needed. The passive tone from the AD screams a lack of preparation to the fans.

Reading through the thread. You can see why many don't like to coach in college, Got to deal with boosters, recruiting and etc. Every one has their own choice. At the end of the day KD should hire the coach he wants that he can work with. Not what grumpy old men on allbuffs want. He is the one that will be fired if he doesn't get it right. Early signing period starts on Wednesday. it is too late to hire anyone now that will have any significant impact on the early signing period. So might as well take your time and get the choice right, No need to rush at this stage. CU should be selling the school to recruits, not a new shiny OC or OL coach.

So where was Whipple on our list, first choice, second choice? Is CU fishing in the same pond as Nebraska? Or have the Nubs settled while CU is still aiming high? Are RG and KD chasing unlikely candidates or are they unprepared?

I can respect a quiet search, I don’t want to go through the circus Tennessee does when they have to hire a coach, but any positive news on the search is needed. The passive tone from the AD screams a lack of preparation to the fans.
  1. Betting CU was rebuffed by Whipple
  2. CU is not in the same pond as ****braska
  3. CU isn’t aiming, their weapon is jammed and they have no idea how to correct it
  4. CU is chasing unlikely candidates and is unprepared
  5. There will be no positive news on the search and the hire will be late and uninspiring

Last edited:
If you were even a somewhat promising offensive recruit, high school or JUCO or transfer, why on earth would you even consider signing with CU at this point? Unless CU was your only meaningful offer, you’d have to be insane to take that risk.

Back