What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU Buffs hire former Minnesota OC Mike Sanford as their new OC

Why hurry through the process when you can let all the other FBS programs pick their new OC's and then you can settle for whoever is leftover? Cheaper and you don't have to endure the stigma of getting passed up for better opportunities. Seems to be a favorite strategy in Boulder.

For $600,000, yes there are plenty of young up and coming coaches that would take on that challenge.
The fact we haven’t found that guy is just another example of the clown show that is the leadership of CU football
could not be more different long distance GIF by Jay Sprogell

The main selling points would be:

1. Big pay increase with the security of a 3-year contract.
2. P5 Coordinator job added to my resume.
3. Taking over an offense that will improve no matter who the OC is since it was so bad in 2021 and a huge % of production & snaps return.

So you're likely not going to attract someone who already has a pretty solid gig as a current P5 OC. You might struggle enticing a former HC who wouldn't be impressed by the pay. The pond you're fishing in would be G5/FCS/D2 OCs, position coaches wanting to make the jump, journeymen looking for a job, and some of the fired HCs who are still ambitious and want a rehab job. The job should be very attractive for anyone in these groups.
If they went the FCS route, I really think a mashup of Jason Eck as OC/OL and Ian Shoemaker as QB/Passing Game Coordinator might be interesting.

Eck is currently at South Dakota State where he took over OC duties when Eric Eidsness (OC at NIU) left. There offense has been pretty good under his tutelage and seems to be built on consistent, physical OL play. Makes sense as Eck played on the o-line at Wisconsin under Barry Alvarez. Since some connection to CU seems important, early in his coaching career, Eck was a GA at CU under Barnett.

Shoemaker was OC/QB at Eastern Washington before resigning earlier this season over a clash with the head coach, so he’s out of work at present. Prior to his resignation, his offenses (especially in the passing game) were potent.

Not my top option, and not the flashy hires most of us are looking for, but might be a solid combo.

I'm much less upset with KD as our HC than I would be if he was our OC.

To your previously posted Vandy scoring offense chart - this is why I've been lobbying so hard for hiring an OC who brings a system.
Do you recruit to the system or do you system to the recruits ?!?!?! In HCKD's case, there's failure in both areas.

My alternate theory, as opposed to the very real possibility of RG and KD being unprepared slothful dullards, is that they've already made offers to a few good candidates and have been turned down. In fact, I'd give that alternative a 50% chance of being true. And yes, I'm aware that both things could be true.....
I'd actually raise that probability to about 80% true.

Back