What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU Buffs Viewership Watch

Denver_sc

Club Member
Club Member
Guys- I just saw the numbers for CSU/CU and HO-LEE ****. This deserves its own thread:

1695139382062.png

9.3M viewers against a G5 school at 10:00?! Are you ****ing kidding? That's insane.

For context, the most viewed game in the 10:00/10:30 PM slot in 2022 was the Apple Cup- which garnered 2.54M viewers- this is more than 3X that!!!

This is the most viewed college football game of the 2023 season so far, and only 5 regular season games all of last year drew more viewers.

Adding up the cumulative numbers from the first three weeks of 2023 (see below), it's highly likely that more people have tuned into a CU game through 3 weeks of the season than all of 2022, 2021, and 2020- Combined.

Regarding viewership: Last week is above. This week, the only game that drew more estimated viewers was Texas/Alabama, and it was only ahead by a few 10s of thousands of viewers(!!). CU/NU actually had the highest rating of any game played last week:
View attachment 64715

In 2019, CU/NU had 3.45M viewers for a 2.0 rating, and in 2018 3.4M viewers on a 2.1 rating.

For context, only 1 CU game last year drew more than 1M viewers: CU/TCU, which had an estimated 1.25M viewers (CU/Oregon was close at ~970K). In 2021, CU/UU had 1.5M viewers, CU/UO had 2.75M viewers, and CU/A&M had 4.5M.

Considering that CU was only nationally televised 4 additional times (Minny, AFA, USC in 2022 and ASU in 2021), it's likely that CU has drawn more viewers already in 2023 than in all of 2022, and possible that CU has already drawn more viewers in two weeks of 2023 action than they did both 2022 and 2021- combined.

The salaries to CP and staff have already paid for themselves in terms of marketing exposure and engagement for the university. So glad we now have a president that gets it. Hopefully he can convince the eggheads in the faculty senate that football, and sports, will continue to be a priority as it is the 1 way to ensure the long term survival of the school.

I understood that Prime is a cultural icon, I never could have dreamed that he is THAT iconic to draw eyeballs like never before in history.
Me, too. We did sort of know when we saw things like GameDay going to Jackson State, but nobody knew just how big of an influencer potential he had until he got the bigger platform of a P5 program. Also, I don't discount the fact that with Klatt & Fowler being top CFB guys at Fox & ESPN that there's some internal influence going on that's driven by CU beyond just it being Coach Prime. They needed a reason on a professional level to use their platform to pimp CU.

I wonder if Prime and our Buffs could have single handedly saved the PAC12 by getting a new media deal after seeing these numbers.

I wonder if Prime and our Buffs could have single handedly saved the PAC12 by getting a new media deal after seeing these numbers.

I am not sure any TV executive signs off on a multi year, ten figure contract based on the presence of one person at one program. For all we know, he might leave for another conference next season and life can be very fragile as we saw with Mike Leach and if that happens, then what? You are stuck with that contract either way.

I am not sure any TV executive signs off on a multi year, ten figure contract based on the presence of one person at one program. For all we know, he might leave for another conference next season and life can be very fragile as we saw with Mike Leach and if that happens, then what? You are stuck with that contract either way.
From a practical standpoint, you’re correct.

I also have to think the PAC would’ve had a much more attractive deal after this year than the one reported with Apple.

From a practical standpoint, you’re correct.

I also have to think the PAC would’ve had a much more attractive deal after this year than the one reported with Apple.

Klatt explained it a while ago, but the main problem is that the PAC just came to the table too late after everyone else had already eaten so they were left with the leftovers. The networks had filled their inventory and largely exhaused their budgets, neither of which is infinite.

The conference, based on a very limited sample size, looks like a more attractive proposition now than most people thought (not only due to CU, I might add) but I think the mistakes that ultimately and finally cost the conference its future were made between 2020 and 2022. When the Big 12 got their contracts sealed and the Pac 12 rejected the ESPN offer, the Pac 12 was checkmate.

True, and Im fine with that.
I need to find the article, that said CU merchandise sales is up 817%
Come for Prime and stay for the Buffs!
Yeah…there isn’t much in the way of merch out there these days. I bought a couple items in 2021, but since then it’s been gone/never offered/too similar/meh. This year anything Buffs seems to go fast. Can’t imagine what things look like on eBay for the 90’s stuff that is still around?

Yeah…there isn’t much in the way of merch out there these days. I bought a couple items in 2021, but since then it’s been gone/never offered/too similar/meh. This year anything Buffs seems to go fast. Can’t imagine what things look like on eBay for the 90’s stuff that is still around?
I got some Prime/CU stuff from Dicks as soon as it came out, but they have been out for a while now. Parents are in South Carolina and have not been able to find anything online.

I want them to bring back some hats like these. I purchased these between 1996-2007IMG_1939.jpg

Back