What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

What if the 2 AZ schools jump to the B12 without Utah and Colorado? Then the PAC is in a free fall. The 2 AZs may not have any short or medium term illusions about going to the B1G. Weird things can happen.

I guess the P12 statement from earlier
this week was designed to soften this blow.
ESPN likely outbid Turner for the evening/late night inventory and Amazon likely outbid CBS for the marquee inventory. Neither CBS or Turner care for the Cal vs Arizona type of stuff, so at that point, they're both no longer interested. The only hope/consolation is that the price for that inventory was driven up by those two networks and the payouts might be respectable. There still leaves the matter of distribution and eyeballs, but maybe they'll match or exceed the Big12 from a school payout standpoint.

What if the 2 AZ schools jump to the B12 without Utah and Colorado? Then the PAC is in a free fall. The 2 AZs may not have any short or medium term illusions about going to the B1G. Weird things can happen.
One thing Forde, Dellenger and Wentzel were talking about the other day was that the Big 12 has zero marquee brands and how none really generate any hype or excitement for really any fanbases around the country, but especially out West.

Basically, would Arizona or ASU fans get excited about Houston, Oklahoma State, Kansas, KSU, Baylor, etc coming to town? Of course not, but they do get excited for Oregon, Washington, Utah and now maybe Colorado. The Big 12 is a mile wide and an inch deep in terms of their brands, and while the media revenue might end up being a little more than what the Pac 12 generates, it's not going to be so much more that the Pac 12 programs can't individually make up by staying with each other right now.

One thing Forde, Dellenger and Wentzel were talking about the other day was that the Big 12 has zero marquee brands and how none really generate any hype or excitement for really any fanbases around the country, but especially out West.

Basically, would Arizona or ASU fans get excited about Houston, Oklahoma State, Kansas, KSU, Baylor, etc coming to town? Of course not, but they do get excited for Oregon, Washington, Utah and now maybe Colorado. The Big 12 is a mile wide and an inch deep in terms of their brands, and while the media revenue might end up being a little more than what the Pac 12 generates, it's not going to be so much more that the Pac 12 programs can't individually make up by staying with each other right now.

I was thinking that as more potential bidders drop out of the PAC bidding it's just going to drop the value even further. Jumping to B12 might become a desperation move more than anything else. In a conference that includes Iowa State, Kansas, and Central Florida, I'm not so sure that ASU and Arizona even by themselves aren't a brand addition, or at least a wash. And if you want to stretch your imagination even further, for a conference that had no problem adding UCF and BYU, you could add SDSU and Fresno State to a jump of ASU and Arizona without too many "lack of quality" mental gymnastics.

I just wouldn't want to see CU get stranded within a PAC 8 of Wash and OR (who both have one foot out the door), Wazzu and OR State (little sisters), Stanford and Cal (two programs flailing in several ways), and Utah, with games broadcast by a semi-reliable streaming service with B- technology and goofball announcers.

This probably means Washington and Oregon to the Big 10.

We need to get out of the Pac-12 right now. It is soon to be everyone themselves.

I'd be careful about jumping to conclusions. Wisconsin cancelled a home/home with VT a few years ago and still hasn't joined the ACC.

I mean, this guy doesn’t know ****, but humoring it for a second, if true, ESPN and Amazon are trying to squeeze the conference and force consolidation, IMO

FWIW: Yormark, at a recent get together of donors during a KSU/ OSU basketball game, said that there would be a big announcement in "30... maybe 60, but probably 30 days" and that "we are going west."

Source: someone who was there at said event.

I don’t see how the Big 12 continuing to add G5 programs makes sense for them. If ESPN is really orchestrating the collapse of the Pac 12, they’ll be after the 6-8 pac programs that bring value
Correct. Plus if I remember correctly their recent penned tv deal won't allow any G5 program additions,

Back