What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

I'd bet the Big XII would be happy to modify that for certain properties, knowing they'll get a boost in prestige even if it's for a single contract. But just spitballing
The question is what are Fox, ESPN, Amazon and maybe CBS and Turner willing to throw at a Big 12 conference that expands to 20 with the addition of Oregon, UW, Cal, Stanford, Utah, CU, UA and ASU? Maybe Cal and Stanford decide it's a no go and WSU and OSU are invited instead in order to preserve the Apple Cup and Civil War inventory at a P4 level or because it's a condition of UW and Oregon joining?

I'd think that any school who's in the BIg12 would find a way to get out if the SEC of BIG10 came calling.
Heck. 50 Million out for Texass and OU is nothing when you know the future windfall.

The question is what are Fox, ESPN, Amazon and maybe CBS and Turner willing to throw at a Big 12 conference that expands to 20 with the addition of Oregon, UW, Cal, Stanford, Utah, CU, UA and ASU? Maybe Cal and Stanford decide it's a no go and WSU and OSU are invited instead in order to preserve the Apple Cup and Civil War inventory at a P4 level or because it's a condition of UW and Oregon joining?
The Big XII has that clause of pro rata increases for *certain* schools

I'd think that any school who's in the BIg12 would find a way to get out if the SEC of BIG10 came calling.
Heck. 50 Million out for Texass and OU is nothing when you know the future windfall.
That's what everyone said about the ACC schools, yet most are resigned to the idea that they legit might be waiting until 2036, or at least into the early 2030s.

FWIW: Yormark, at a recent get together of donors during a KSU/ OSU basketball game, said that there would be a big announcement in "30... maybe 60, but probably 30 days" and that "we are going west."

Source: someone who was there at said event.
Boise? Fresno?

Gonzaga

This has been in the sports news for a few months. The remaining question is whether it is basketball only or if their other sports join as well.

Gonzaga

This has been in the sports news for a few months. The remaining question is whether it is basketball only or if their other sports join as well.
Not in the context of my original quote. In the same meeting Yormark separately commented that they were still considering whether a partnership could work with Gonzaga or not.

I'm not sure why Yormark is waiting. He's made a killing on frontrunning the Pac-12/10/12.
Because everything hinges on the Pac folding or not. Gonzaga isn't going to the Big 12 if the Pac still exists and can get a reasonable media deal and all of that hinges on football and the other Pac properties.

I don’t see how the Big 12 continuing to add G5 programs makes sense for them. If ESPN is really orchestrating the collapse of the Pac 12, they’ll be after the 6-8 pac programs that bring value
I don’t think any PAC teams are going to the Big 12. I think the PAC gets a deal slightly higher than the Big 12 and musical chairs potentially starts again in the 2030’s.

I don’t think any PAC teams are going to the Big 12. I think the PAC gets a deal slightly higher than the Big 12 and musical chairs potentially starts again in the 2030’s.
Most of the rumors and speculation (from credible national sources) suggests CBS, Fox and Turner are all out, and Amazon only wants the Pac 12's Game of the Week and ESPN only wants a Saturday night package.

Basically, it seems like ESPN is orchestrating the collapse of the Pac 10/consolidation of the value add brands into the Big 12.

Of course, that should probably be taken with a grain of salt right now, but that's what the tea leaves are suggesting and the longer this goes without the Pac 10 announcing expansion and a new media deal, the more those rumors have to be taken seriously.

The TV deal is not going to be close to the BIg 12 deal and we are furked. I can’t believe that you don’t see that.

It is time to put the snob appeal on the shelf, hold your nose, and join the Big 12

The TV deal is not going to be close to the BIg 12 deal and we are furked. I can’t believe that you don’t see that.

It is time to put the snob appeal on the shelf, hold your nose, and join the Big 12
Most of the rumors and speculation (from credible national sources) suggests CBS, Fox and Turner are all out, and Amazon only wants the Pac 12's Game of the Week and ESPN only wants a Saturday night package.

Basically, it seems like ESPN is orchestrating the collapse of the Pac 10/consolidation of the value add brands into the Big 12.

Of course, that should probably be taken with a grain of salt right now, but that's what the tea leaves are suggesting and the longer this goes without the Pac 10 announcing expansion and a new media deal, the more those rumors have to be taken seriously.
It could be that Turner and CBS are out because another bid was selected. The announcement of them being out does not necessarily mean it was because of interest.

I don't have any idea what's going to happen with realignment or the P10 going forward, but this absolute certainty coming out of nothing more than bias is amusing AF.

It’s so funny to me how much everyone “knows” about these deals. Comical how Big12 fans and media are so invested creating narratives and drama about a TV deal that doesn’t exist yet
Big 12 has been on the offensive when this first started and sometimes perception is larger than reality. Nobody really knows what's going on, but Big 12 is for sure winning the propaganda push between the two conferences.

I don't know ****, but it is possible that these entities are saying they are out on bidding Pac-12 because there is another bid that blows what they were willing to offer away. The logic of groups saying they are out weakening the position of the Pac is not sound.

In my mind, the only reason the Pac media deal would be less than the left over 12 would be because the Ducks and Huskies (and potentially some combination of Trees, CU, Scum Devils, and possibly Utes) refuse to be tied down long term. The remnants of the big12 have no compelling schools left and have resorted to adding P5 commuter schools to round out their roster. I suspect internal fighting in the Pac has a bigger impact than TV execs drooling over the vaunted Kansas State - Central Florida matchup.

In my mind, the only reason the Pac media deal would be less than the left over 12 would be because the Ducks and Huskies (and potentially some combination of Trees, CU, Scum Devils, and possibly Utes) refuse to be tied down long term. The remnants of the big12 have no compelling schools left and have resorted to adding P5 commuter schools to round out their roster. I suspect internal fighting in the Pac has a bigger impact than TV execs drooling over the vaunted Kansas State - Central Florida matchup.
Yea, I get being worried abou tthe pac ****ing it up (it's what, historically, the conference has done) but fan boying the B12 at this point is so weird to me. They have 0 marquee schools and really can barely argue they have any solid tier 2 schools.

Plus, a P12 B12 merger of the valuable properties in the PAC no longer makes sense in the new playoff world. You don't want to play in a big conference if you aren't in the Big or SEC. You want as easy a path as possible to claim that playoff spot.

Yea, I get being worried abou tthe pac ****ing it up (it's what, historically, the conference has done) but fan boying the B12 at this point is so weird to me. They have 0 marquee schools and really can barely argue they have any solid tier 2 schools.

Plus, a P12 B12 merger of the valuable properties in the PAC no longer makes sense in the new playoff world. You don't want to play in a big conference if you aren't in the Big or SEC. You want as easy a path as possible to claim that playoff spot.

If the only concern was winning titles, I agree. But it isn't. The only concern is securing top level (or close to it) TV revenue for your program. In that pursuit, the Pac12 is almost out of options.

I think you just reinforced my point about the B12 being kinda ****ty.

If the only concern was winning titles, I agree. But it isn't. The only concern is securing top level (or close to it) TV revenue for your program. In that pursuit, the Pac12 is almost out of options.
Stating speculation and leaps of logic as fact is the only way to get to this statement. Not impossible, but it would be pretty crazy if the new P12 really is far behind on revenue. Either way we are way behind the Top 2 conferences and in Tier 2. And it would be pretty stupid for the P12 to stay together if they can't get money. So then we do the B12. I just don't get the hand wringing. Chances of CU ending up in a P12 that makes way less than the B12 are low and would require big brain RG to **** up spectacularly.

Back