What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

Because I thing the B12 is waiting to see if the PAC12 comes apart and they could add the 4 corner school which would probably be more attractive to ESPN

The point Yak made was this would force the Pac-12 to collapse and force the 4-corner schools to the B12. Why wait around for something to happen that you can supposedly make happen?

So why didn't the B12 do this six months ago?
The Big 12 was on the verge of collapse and it just needed to get back to 12 teams. It grabbed the four best G5 brands in the country to solidify the inventory, and then went to market as quickly as possible to lock all 12 schools in so the Pac wasn't going to try to pry a few of them away. Now that the dust has settled, it's easy to imagine ESPN just directing the Big 12 to grab a couple west coast G5 programs to fill their night slot, and for them to bail on the Pac 10 altogether.

The Big 12 was on the verge of collapse and it just needed to get back to 12 teams. It grabbed the four best G5 brands in the country to solidify the inventory, and then went to market as quickly as possible to lock all 12 schools in so the Pac wasn't going to try to pry a few of them away. Now that the dust has settled, it's easy to imagine ESPN just directing the Big 12 to grab a couple west coast G5 programs to fill their night slot, and for them to bail on the Pac 10 altogether.
And then who is Amazon bidding against?

Pac 12 has no leverage, last to market.

Thanks USC.

And then who is Amazon bidding against?

Pac 12 has no leverage, last to market.

Thanks USC.
Correct. So when we hear speculation and rumors that the deal on the table is something like $20m/school, I don't know why people refuse to believe that could be the case. All the tea leaves suggest it is going to be something like that.

Now, to your point about Pac schools not bailing for the Big 12 over a few million, I completely agree with that, but a $10m/year per school delta over the next 7 years is too much.

Correct. So when we hear speculation and rumors that the deal on the table is something like $20m/school, I don't know why people refuse to believe that could be the case. All the tea leaves suggest it is going to be something like that.

Now, to your point about Pac schools not bailing for the Big 12 over a few million, I completely agree with that, but a $10m/year per school delta over the next 7 years is too much.
Yup, teams could bolt over the $10 million delta or even less, if that how it turns out to be. I merely said that Tony Altimore made a credible argument for why the PAC 12 may stay together, even with a lower annual TV payout.

Things look bleak.

Imagine there is an island with five houses and four buyers. If all four buyers purchase a house, the seller of the fifth house can bitch all day long that it has a better house than the cheapest of the other four sold homes, but in the end, the four buyers each have a house. Sure, one of those buyers may decide that a second house on the island would be nice for guests, but they’re not all that motivated unless they get a real steal of a deal.

The PAC 12 is the fifth house unfortunately.

USC was the cracked foundation that delayed the listing.

The point Yak made was this would force the Pac-12 to collapse and force the 4-corner schools to the B12. Why wait around for something to happen that you can supposedly make happen?

I call that speculation. I don't think there is a rush to expand with more G5 schools and if the B12 did I do not believe the PAC would collapse.

The reality that a B12 Fresno State or an SDSU could be getting more media $$ than Oregon or CU might get in a bleeding PAC10 is stark.

Depends on B12’s game plan. As Hokie alluded to earlier, keep in mind that for nearly half the football season the AZ schools are on Mountain Time. So getting the 4 Corners schools really doesn’t put B12 as fully into the Pacific Time Zone as much as getting Fresno or SDSU does.
Gulp.

Last edited:
Imagine there is an island with five houses and four buyers. If all four buyers purchase a house, the seller of the fifth house can bitch all day long that it has a better house than the cheapest of the other four sold homes, but in the end, the four buyers each have a house. Sure, one of those buyers may decide that a second house on the island would be nice for guests, but they’re not all that motivated unless they get a real steal of a deal.

The PAC 12 is the fifth house unfortunately.

USC was the cracked foundation that delayed the listing.
So we should intentionally burn down the fifth house and hope to live in the ****tiest house's basement?

Not sure what weight I put on this, but I bet the pac stays together until poached by the BIG or SEC. No real confidence one way or the other, though.

There's weight for sure. What if the new TV deal only pays $20 million ($10 million less than BIG12) per school ?
Less money with less visibility is no bueno.
AAU Hubris could become a very expensive hobby. I guess the schools could attempt to renegotiate the football and basketball coaches salaries and drop a lot of non-revenue sports. Oh, wait.

There's weight for sure. What if the new TV deal only pays $20 million ($10 million less than BIG12) per school ?
Less money with less visibility is no bueno.
Yeah, I’m not sure how much 20 million moves the needle for these guys. They may pay that price to be affiliated with Stanford instead of Kansas state. Not defending it, that just might be the reality. What doesn’t make sense to me is if a exodus to the big 12 was going to happen why hasn’t it already?

More Arizona fun facts:

• Nickname: The Grand Canyon State.
  • Statehood: 1912; 48th state.
  • Population (as of July 2015): 6,828,065.
  • Capital: Phoenix.
  • Biggest City: Phoenix.
  • Abbreviation: AZ.
  • State bird: cactus wren.
  • State flower: saguaro cactus blossom.
🤣 It was my attempted preemption of someone saying (correctly) : “AZ is ALWAYS on Mountain Time”, in reference to my earlier post about Fresno, etc. But I do appreciate the info on the cactus wren.

Why don't the PAC just invite the ACC schools right now
for the same reasons stated earlier ITT that it makes no sense for the LA schools to join the B1G -- increased travel costs, not wanting to break up old rivalries, etc...

I mean….his data supports his own argument. Does it not?

If someone disagrees it would be up to them to present data that would refute it. So far no one has presented that data. They have just said they disagree. Disagreeing is opinion unless supported.
Backwards.

I don't know that the Reddit post was more than wishful thinking and mental masturbation. But I do believe that there is tremendous value in a new conference formed from an ACC-PAC merger.

If doing this, I'd try to go big and take teams from the Big 12, maybe G5 and give Notre Dame whatever it wanted to be part of it. You don't have to stop at 16.

I think I want to play with this. My suspicion is that a 16-20 team conference could be created that paid as much per team as the B1G or SEC. Maybe more.

Back