What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

Just going to throw this out there since pretty much everything is speculation anyway:

What if the pac12 negotiated an old school media deal?

The conferece signs a deal for one or two "premier games" each week. If teams get selected more than others for those games, they get unequal payouts.

Games not selected go to the schools to sell on their own, and they keep the revenue for their broadcast (and yes, they can sell broadcast rights for away games, just not exclusive broadcast rights; the home team can sell them too - a la, NHL, MLB, NBA).

Ok, UW & UO, think your rights are more valuable? Prove it.

And you don't have to share.

With Prime, that deal would probably go well for CU...

But the games on their campus aren't part of it. I don't know, but that seems significant enough to make their exit a lot cheaper and less disruptive.

My understanding is that the GoR covers all games by member schools needed to fulfill the ESPN contract. The five games per year ND plays ACC teams are part of that. So their GoR liability is 5/8 of the full ACC members.

ND's exist would be cheaper as it doesn't include football revenue, but still a hefty price tag according to best estimates

I’m watching ESPN and Fox games at 2:30 pm on a November Saturday. Maybe a game on ESPN2 as well. Back and forth. I’m checking scores of other games. All easy tasks on my Xfinity remote.

How to flip in and out of Apple streaming game of OSU vs ASU?
You'll have to use your other (smaller) remote. The same one you use to get to Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc.

Last edited:
wikipedia says Apple TV has 33m members. that's about 1/3 of the numbers reported earlier ITT for Prime Video.

I work with several early 20 year old's and NONE of them have AppleTv.
Netflix and Amazon are their apps.

Of course millions have it but 'not enough' is not a wrong answer.

If only there were some other sort of media that recruits care about these days.

Will Smith Reaction GIF by HBO Max

ND's exist would be cheaper as it doesn't include football revenue, but still a hefty price tag according to best estimates

Dinich may be right. there's a sentence in paragraph one that previously escaped my attention.

I dislike bad options too.

However, I don’t see how one game per week at 10 pm on ESPN is greater exposure. The pac 12 games would mostly go on ESPN+, a streaming service, where the PAC 12 plays third fiddle.

Personally, I’d rather take the bigger bag and go to another streaming service, like Apple or Amazon, and get promoted heavily. As we’ve discussed, Amazon has more households than ESPN, and Apple is about 45% of ESPN despite being a few years old.

Amazon and Apple are better run organizations than Disney.

I work with several early 20 year old's and NONE of them have AppleTv.
Netflix and Amazon are their apps.

Of course millions have it but 'not enough' is not a wrong answer.
End of the day, what you have to realize is that ESPN has the Big 12, ACC and exclusivity on the SEC, while FOX has B1G and the Big 12. The non streaming options are the Pac 10 stays together, maybe adds 2 more, and signs with ESPN. In that scenario, where do you think the best Pac 10/12 game gets put? Yes, the 10pm ET is correct. The rest get relegated to ESPNU, ESPN News, occasionally ESPN/ESPN2, and guess what... streaming app, ESPN+. Almost never will a Pac game be on ABC.

Option 2 is CU and 3-5 others join the Big 12 and the exact same thing happens, with FS1 thrown in there as a possibility. Big Noon isn't going to any Big 12 matchups in 2024.

The whole "player's parents can't watch apple tv" is laughable. Colleges can easily afford to purchase multiple accounts, and I would bet the negotiated deal with apple will include free/discounted subscriptions for the families of scholarship athletes. This reminds me of #culturalfit.

End of the day, what you have to realize is that ESPN has the Big 12, ACC and exclusivity on the SEC, while FOX has B1G and the Big 12. The non streaming options are the Pac 10 stays together, maybe adds 2 more, and signs with ESPN. In that scenario, where do you think the best Pac 10/12 game gets put? Yes, the 10pm ET is correct. The rest get relegated to ESPNU, ESPN News, occasionally ESPN/ESPN2, and guess what... streaming app, ESPN+. Almost never will a Pac game be on ABC.

Option 2 is CU and 3-5 others join the Big 12 and the exact same thing happens, with FS1 thrown in there as a possibility. Big Noon isn't going to any Big 12 matchups in 2024.
Colorado at Nebraska could be a Big Noon matchup in 2024.

I bet we will see the Pac12 Network somehow stay alive in some sort of fashion.

Just because you are an Apple fan boy doesn't make YOU the expert.
Your bias and insanity on this topic is making you look really really stupid. This is another good example of it.

Why? I ****ing hate Apple. **** their phones. **** their computers. I have had an Android phone for 10 years running. I've never had Apple TV. **** their closed garden. **** their stupid lightning connectors. **** what they did to Itunes.

Sir, you need to chill before you embarrass yourself further.

Or, you could go further down the rabbit hole of stupid. Up to you. Cause dude, you are not an expert.

Some interesting stuff about how Amazon & Apple not having the production trucks to facilitate football games.

I find it incredible that production truck inventory is a serious impediment for either. I would think both companies have the capitol to invest in them, and I have to believe there are independent TV production companies that can be contracted to fill the gap.

Your bias and insanity on this topic is making you look really really stupid. This is another good example of it.

Why? I ****ing hate Apple. **** their phones. **** their computers. I have had an Android phone for 10 years running. I've never had Apple TV. **** their closed garden. **** their stupid lightning connectors. **** what they did to Itunes.

Sir, you need to chill before you embarrass yourself further.

Or, you could go further down the rabbit hole of stupid. Up to you. Cause dude, you are not an expert.
never said I was an expert

I still believe App doesn't have enough eyeballs that the PAC needs

I find it incredible that production truck inventory is a serious impediment for either. I would think both companies have the capitol to invest in them, and I have to believe there are independent TV production companies that can be contracted to fill the gap.
but are they ready to invest in them ?

never said I was an expert

I still believe App doesn't have enough eyeballs that the PAC needs
The best way to convince everyone they should listen to you:

1. State an opinion without support.
2. Tell everyone else they need to prove you wrong but can't because they aren't experts.
3. State that you yourself are not an expert.
4. Restate the opinion without support.

but are they ready to invest in them ?
if they're willing to sign a multi-year deal with a conference for TV rights, I'd assume so. what are we talking about, ~$10m? that's about 15 minutes worth of revenue for those two.

The whole "player's parents can't watch apple tv" is laughable. Colleges can easily afford to purchase multiple accounts, and I would bet the negotiated deal with apple will include free/discounted subscriptions for the families of scholarship athletes. This reminds me of #culturalfit.

meanwhile this is a variation of an old argument of how can the recruits parents attend games?!

And the same people worried about that would have us join a conference that features schools from Florida and West Virginia

Something tells me players parents will figure out how to download an app.

Overall exposure? Now there could be argument there for sure, especially if apple goes greedy and walls off the games with a subscription on a subscription. And apple loves greedy. And walled off gardens

Aren't we basically talking about the next few years though?

The ACC will blow up early next decade.

Back