What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

I'll chime in on the conversation on whether or not Apple is a good platform for the Pac 12 from a different perspective.

Recently, MLS (Major League Soccer) signed a 10 year, $2.5 billion deal with AppleTV. This comes out to about $250 million per year to MLS, but if subscriptions go over a certain threshold there will be more money from Apple to MLS. This deal is a massive increase from previous media rights deals for MLS. Apparently, this is just the start for Apple which has it's eye on the Premier League as well and I guess you could say perhaps the Pac 12 too.

Here's how it works:
• There is a streaming service within AppleTV called "MLS Season Pass" which houses all the content including live matches.
• In addition to the matches, there is content about each team generated in house. This content is about everything from club traditions to highlights and player profiles.
• The "MLS Season Pass" costs $99 for the season or $14.99 a month or $79 for the season or $12.99 a month for AppleTV + subscribers.
• All season ticket holders for every team get free access to "MLS Season Pass." (That's me as a Rapids season ticket holder!)
• Selected matches will be shown outside the paywall on AppleTV as well as FS1, etc.
• There is a deal for bars, etc., to show matches.

Issues with this deal include (I am sure there many I haven't thought of):
• What if I only care about one team? There needs to be an option to get a season pass for one team.
• This deal looks to make it difficult to hook casual fans into become regular viewers of the MLS.

I have no idea what an Apple deal with the Pac 12 would look like in terms of subscription costs (or would it be free?), etc.

Would access to a "Pac 12 Season Pass" include all sports?

And with the Pac 12 wanting to grow viewership if there is an app and a paywall wouldn't a deal similar to MLS hurt?

If only there were some other sort of media that recruits care about these days.

Will Smith Reaction GIF by HBO Max
TikTok enters the chat with a big blank check.…

Allbuffs frustrated that games will be broken into millions of 60 sec (max length) segments.

Ok...do they want to invest I'm them?
Is their the commitment?
Dude.

One of the negotiating parties literally already owns those trucks.

But there's just no way in the world a deal could be reached where the other party could use or buy them.

It's just unthinkable and is an obstacle that will be really, really hard to overcome.

Impossible maybe.

TikTok enters the chat with a big blank check.…

Allbuffs frustrated that games will be broken into millions of 60 sec (max length) segments.
Twitter goes into live sports broadcasting but Musk demands to be made Commissioner of the PAC in exchange for the deal. The on-air broadcast talent are limited to 45 words per quarter. The rest is just visual. There’s the little bird logo required to be added to each helmet….

Ok...do they want to invest I'm them?
Is their the commitment?
Of course Apple is not going to invest or commit to the content. That's crazy! Assuming for the sake of argument that they are going to pay 100s of millions for this content, they will balk at spending any money on actually producing that content. It's the only logical conclusion.

I work with several early 20 year old's and NONE of them have AppleTv.
Netflix and Amazon are their apps.

Of course millions have it but 'not enough' is not a wrong answer.

Except for you, right???

'Bad Sisters' on AppleTV after three episodes is pretty darn good.
It's a dark comedy/drama of sorts from Ireland. I have an idea in my head how I think it turns out.
If I'm wrong I'll give it an even higher rating than I'm now and I'm recommending so far.

I find it incredible that production truck inventory is a serious impediment for either. I would think both companies have the capitol to invest in them, and I have to believe there are independent TV production companies that can be contracted to fill the gap.
*capital.

Also, JFC @InTheBuff , we ****ing get it. You don't have to contribute 1/3 of the posts in this thread to piss about any possible option except CU being in the B12 and on dying linear media.

*capital.

Also, JFC @InTheBuff , we ****ing get it. You don't have to contribute 1/3 of the posts in this thread to piss about any possible option except CU being in the B12 and on dying linear media.
Dying linear media?
The SEC and BIG10 would beg to differ.
Colorado needs as many eyeballs on games NOW ..... for the next 4-5 years when this 'Prime' opportunity is here.
I can agree that streaming is the future for sports but that future isn't now.

Dying linear media?
The SEC and BIG10 would beg to differ.
Colorado needs as many eyeballs on games NOW ..... for the next 4-5 years when this 'Prime' opportunity is here.
I can agree that streaming is the future for sports but that future isn't now.
Is it reasonable to say that CP is one of the few people in the sport who would draw eyes and force people to slightly change their sport watching habits to see what he’s up to? I would say yes. I think a coach prime type of personality is very attractive to Apple. I have to imagine they see well off, barstool buffs exploding with followers, and a 1-11 team becoming one of the biggest stories in college football overnight and want to capitalize. I’m excited to see what one of the most innovative companies ever would do with my sports watching experience.

The dying linear media thing is just a way for us to pretend that we haven’t been left behind. Fact is that we would love to be on ESPN or any of the standard networks. Problem is that those networks have all the programming they can handle at the moment. So we are stuck with doing what we are doing. Going to the B12 doesn’t change anything. Our options are limited because we thought we were smarter than everybody else when we created the P12 network. Turns out we weren’t. Bailing to the B12 doesn’t change that fact, and doesn’t pay us any more than what we are going to be making with whatever platform we end up with.

The dying linear media thing is just a way for us to pretend that we haven’t been left behind. Fact is that we would love to be on ESPN or any of the standard networks. Problem is that those networks have all the programming they can handle at the moment. So we are stuck with doing what we are doing. Going to the B12 doesn’t change anything. Our options are limited because we thought we were smarter than everybody else when we created the P12 network. Turns out we weren’t. Bailing to the B12 doesn’t change that fact, and doesn’t pay us any more than what we are going to be making with whatever platform we end up with.
Yep. People need to realize we are already screwed. The doom is here. We are just ignoring it because of prime. Enjoy whatever we can at this point. The big 12 is not a panacea.

Anderson, though, believes a resolution is on the horizon with the Pac-12’s current contract with ESPN and Fox ending after next season. He is confident the Pac-12 and commissioner George Kliavkoff will reach a deal that keeps things relatively intact.

When does this new media deal, whatever it is, start?
The current deal expires at the end of this upcoming 2023-2024 athletics season. So, essentially spring 2024. This is the last year for football, and USC and UCLA will leave without penalty.

New deal would start up after that, when a deal eventually gets inked.

Apple doesn’t look so bad now…
The only positive is if ION TV is actually in every market and part of every linear subscription package, same as the other networks, distribution would be fine. Would they offer a $300-$350m/year package for full rights?

If the answer to both of those are "yes", it actually might not be the worst outcome.

Back