What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

Jim Halpert Reaction GIF

Because as it's popularity rises I will hear about it more regardless of if I try to avoid it

I've never watched anything with the Kardashians but still know things about them. I've never gone out of my way to listen to Justin Bieber but could still identify soem of his songs. I also realize this is an, "Old man yells at clouds" moment, and am OK with that.

Grampa Simpson Meme GIF by MOODMAN
You sound like fun. I bet you and @Fred 2 have a great time together.

Because as it's popularity rises I will hear about it more regardless of if I try to avoid it

I've never watched anything with the Kardashians but still know things about them. I've never gone out of my way to listen to Justin Bieber but could still identify soem of his songs. I also realize this is an, "Old man yells at clouds" moment, and am OK with that.

Grampa Simpson Meme GIF by MOODMAN
Jason Sudeikis Change GIF by Apple TV+

more baseless assumptions...

you assume that at some future date, the only outcome will be uw and uo to go to the big and us somehow begging the truck stop 12 to please baby give us another chance.

you assume that the pac pulled sdsu's offer but we do not know that.

you assume you know the landscape of the tv and sports market in what is a highly fluid environment and could change dramatically.

it is just and i think perhaps more likely that the next round of reshuffling is bigger than the big and sec. there are a whole lot of programs with money, power, and prestige outside those 2 existing conferences. and there are natural incentives at work among those conferences to not **** with everyone else when the next round happens.

i am almost wishing isu was the 5th down game at this point so i could lather up a hate for isu, but honestly you guys are mostly irrelevant. you aren't driving the train and in the next round, you won't have any voice in the outcome. ... just like every other time.
We're all working off of assumptions. The thread is literally titled everyone talking out of their ass. As I said earlier, I'm just reading the tea leaves, you seem intent on chugging kool-aid. Guess we'll see how it goes. The only thing that isn't an assumption, is that in realignment, money is undefeated. If there is a significant difference in media dollars, which is think is at least $5-6million/year (definitely at $10 million), you'll be in the Big XII.

I have no delusions about Iowa State's position in all this. the school's football program cratered due bad hires, indifference towards athletics, and a member of the BoR who was actively trying to destroy ISU and create a 'University of Iowa System'. It's been a giant hole to dig out of, and we're working on it. Regardless, of what happens, I'll watch whatever level ISU is playing at. I've traditionally watched Big XII, and some BIG football due to the regional aspect. BIG football is incredibly boring, but they have huge alumni bases and pull viewers.

We're all working off of assumptions. The thread is literally titled everyone talking out of their ass. As I said earlier, I'm just reading the tea leaves, you seem intent on chugging kool-aid. Guess we'll see how it goes. The only thing that isn't an assumption, is that in realignment, money is undefeated. If there is a significant difference in media dollars, which is think is at least $5-6million/year (definitely at $10 million), you'll be in the Big XII.

I have no delusions about Iowa State's position in all this. the school's football program cratered due bad hires, indifference towards athletics, and a member of the BoR who was actively trying to destroy ISU and create a 'University of Iowa System'. It's been a giant hole to dig out of, and we're working on it. Regardless, of what happens, I'll watch whatever level ISU is playing at. I've traditionally watched Big XII, and some BIG football due to the regional aspect. BIG football is incredibly boring, but they have huge alumni bases and pull viewers.
One other point about realignment beyond the money driver is that no school has ever left for a conference that was a step down regarding academic peers among membership.

Fans and sports talking heads may not care about this, but the people making these decisions are university presidents. Nowhere in any university mission does it state "to outcompete other universities and professional leagues for the public's sports entertainment dollars" and the AD is a small part of their overall budget and infrastructure.

Last edited:
Back when I was in HS, I think it was more than that. We had enough football participation to have full rosters for freshman, JV and varsity teams. Other sports were thin below the varsity level with guys having to play on more than one team.
Football is also a "no cut" sport in most Colorado high schools. Lots of kids join the team, but never play and are 100% okay with that.

One other point about realignment beyond the money driver is that no school has ever left for a conference that was a step down regarding academic peers among membership.

Fans and sports talking heads may not care about this, but the people making these decisions are university presidents. Nowhere in any university mission does it state "to outcompete other universities and professional leagues for the public's sport's entertainment dollars" and the AD is a small part of their overall budget and infrastructure.
i was going to suggest some of the teams that joined the sec like texas and mizzery took a step backward but i don't think i can make the case. at this point, if you were ranking the academics of the alleged power conferences, the b12 is 5th of five for sure.

it is going to take a perfect storm of poo raining down on us for CU to end up in the b12. it is possible and we have certainly suffered but a 5-6 year deal that includes the existing pac members and maybe sdsu/smu is a better outcome for us by far.

i was going to suggest some of the teams that joined the sec like texas and mizzery took a step backward but i don't think i can make the case. at this point, if you were ranking the academics of the alleged power conferences, the b12 is 5th of five for sure.

it is going to take a perfect storm of poo raining down on us for CU to end up in the b12. it is possible and we have certainly suffered but a 5-6 year deal that includes the existing pac members and maybe sdsu/smu is a better outcome for us by far.
💯 and everyone should take solace in the fact that even if we kicked a** for the last 10 years in the Pac (like Oregon), we would still be in the exact same spot as we are today - waiting for a B1G or SEC invite. In this next shorter deal we get to hit the reset button on realignment, our record is wiped clean and we have Prime leading our brand.

Good stuff. Agree with all of the growth ideas + add in x-sell for products like Vision Pro (if it’s Apple).

I also had a similar thought Pac-12 going the risk averse, secure payout route vs uncertain but potentially higher revenue. Here’s what I mean.

Example:

DTC Subscription Model - $59.99 annual
  • All games available (some simulcast on linear per week)
  • Available on Apple TV + standalone app
The P12 could see what kind of subscriptions they get and if it’s substantial make a lot of money OR take some guaranteed payout where each school gets $20M per year.

They would likely go w/ the guaranteed payout.

We already know it’ll also include some linear distribution for marquee games but the majority of the revenue will come in through the DTC streamer. Some examples of what that could look like.

ESPN - One game (Sat 7pm PT)
CBS - One game (Sat 3:30pm PT)
Network #3 - One game (Sat 1pm PT)

These networks would pay a fee to simulcast the game from the DTC option. That’s how the conference gets at or past the $31M mark.

Fans and sports talking heads may not care about this, but the people making these decisions are university presidents. Nowhere in any university mission does it state "to outcompete other universities and professional leagues for the public's sport's entertainment dollars" and the AD is a small part of their overall budget and infrastructure.
That's not the driver as much as the way its worked out-I could spin that another way and say no school has made a move that has resulted in a cut in TV revenue, and on top of that-Texas and Oklahoma moving from the Big 12 to the SEC is somewhat of a wash academically-Outside of Vandy, there really aren't any academic powerhouses in that league.

I've said this before on here, and I tell my students this (its relevant to at a minimum the kids who aren't sure where they're going to high school as a middle school teacher). Athletics at the high school and college level is the front door to a school or university. This is especially true for me moving to the Archdiocese of Denver's school system. They run Machebeuf, a new high school named after John Paul II, and Holy Family in Denver. I hear stories of kids who will go to a basketball or football game at a school they're considering attending-and they go to that school because of how cool they thought the environment at that particular game was. It works the same way at the collegiate level. While Nik is 100% right, athletics is a very important part of a school community at the college level. Its free marketing essentially.

Last edited:
ad’s need to budget the revenue for several yrs down the road. you are are asking them to bet on the come? They either get 31 m.or 20 m I hardly think that is a blueprint for success and seems to be a recipe for firing and or disaster. You have to hope and pray that people will,pony up the extra $ to add apple tv plus the cost of the PAC 12 add on. Personally I don’t see it. Especially outside of the pac foot print. No one cares. maybe in the south and midwest but the west coast hasn’t shown any desire w/ the exception of or & wash to even go to the games Let alone pay extra for another streaming service plus an add on especially in this economic climate.

I'd argue Texas and Oklahoma did that. Outside of Vanderbilt, I don't see a bunch of academic powerhouses in that league.
Florida, Mizzou and aTm are all AAUs in addition to Vanderbilt. It's a more prestigious academic membership than the Big 12. Now UT added to the mix.

When Mizzou and A&M joined the SEC they kindof took a step down, but helped elevate it by doubling their AAU membership (if we're going to use that criteria). Those two, Florida, Vanderbilt, and soon to be Texas will be the AAU schools in conference. It can claim "academic prestige" if it wants, but over half it's good schools are for Big XII members.

The Big XII is definitely the bottom academic conference now, and that is what it is. I don't feel like my degree from ISU is worth less just because they dropped out of the AAU. Different missions and priorities. WVU is the only school I would say is pretty 'meh'. K-State is nothing special either. All the other schools are good institutions of higher learning.

Baylor has a scummy history, but I think they might be getting better. Not sold yet, but I think Scott Drew and Dave Aranda are good dudes.

Back