What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

Someone’s response:

Sad Doctor Who GIF

One thing that a lot of network, and streaming service, executives are aware of is the story of CBS and the NFL.

CBS was absolute king of the hill on ratings for their weeknight shows. It was something like 9 of the top 10 shows were on CBS. Then, in a cost cutting measure, they decided to bow out of bidding on NFL rights on a contract cycle.

That fall, their ratings tanked. Not just for Sunday, but every single weeknight show as well just fell through the floor. Same shows, same actors/writers, but the audience just disappeared.

It turns out that using the NFL broadcasts to pump up their weeknight shows was a critical piece of the puzzle. They bid hard to get back in the game when the SNF rights came up. In fact, if they could sell each games advertising for $10MM, they were bidding like $12MM. Why? Because they could get >$2MM in advertising on their other shows with the ratings boost from pumping them up during the football broadcast.

Now, college football isn't NFL football. But... football is probably the sport most well adapted for TV and commercials.

Do you think Netflix, or Amazon, or AppleTV, etc would find it valuable to have a platform on which to advertise and push viewers to their own shows? If the metric is subscribers to other shows and services, the football broadcasts can actually operate at a net loss.
Interesting post. 👍

One thing that a lot of network, and streaming service, executives are aware of is the story of CBS and the NFL.

CBS was absolute king of the hill on ratings for their weeknight shows. It was something like 9 of the top 10 shows were on CBS. Then, in a cost cutting measure, they decided to bow out of bidding on NFL rights on a contract cycle.

That fall, their ratings tanked. Not just for Sunday, but every single weeknight show as well just fell through the floor. Same shows, same actors/writers, but the audience just disappeared.

It turns out that using the NFL broadcasts to pump up their weeknight shows was a critical piece of the puzzle. They bid hard to get back in the game when the SNF rights came up. In fact, if they could sell each games advertising for $10MM, they were bidding like $12MM. Why? Because they could get >$2MM in advertising on their other shows with the ratings boost from pumping them up during the football broadcast.

Now, college football isn't NFL football. But... football is probably the sport most well adapted for TV and commercials.

Do you think Netflix, or Amazon, or AppleTV, etc would find it valuable to have a platform on which to advertise and push viewers to their own shows? If the metric is subscribers to other shows and services, the football broadcasts can actually operate at a net loss.
This is the argument for why streaming services should be going after live sports, not why it would be good for the Pac 10. I have no doubt those companies find live sports valuable and that it would be good for them. I'm just not sure nationwide CFB viewing habits have reached the point where it's equally valuable for the Pac 10 beyond just the money.

This is the argument for why streaming services should be going after live sports, not why it would be good for the Pac 10. I have no doubt those companies find live sports valuable and that it would be good for them. I'm just not sure nationwide CFB viewing habits have reached the point where it's equally valuable for the Pac 10 beyond just the money.
It's a question without a known answer, that's for sure.

From the Pac's perspective, do you take a deal worth less money that potentially "reaches" more viewers, or do you take deal worth more money and a partner that's going to work hard to bring more viewers to you in order to maximize their own investment?

I don't know what the "right" answer is, or even if there is a right answer. But there are a few things I know that can and should shape the thinking:

1. You will get some number of viewers regardless of your delivery mechanism. That number comprises two groups: a. dedicated fans of your schools and b. serious college football fans. The number in "b." is going to fluctuate based on how good your teams are. If you have multiple teams in the top 15, you're going to get some amount of eyeballs almost no matter what the platform.

2. The legacy networks are NOT going to give you very many of their "prime" slots, regardless of how much of a discount you're willing to offer them. The prime slots are going to those leagues into which the networks have made their largest investments: the B1G and SEC. You're getting the second tier slots with them, period.

3. You have an additional asset that is part of the contract: the Pac12 network. You have the equipment, studios, and more importantly, the knowledge and the people necessary to produce live sports content. This has minimal value to the legacy networks. It potentially has a lot of value to the new media partners.

That last piece is actually what I think will drive the ultimate deal more than anything. The P12 made a bet an investment in building out their own network with their own production capabilities. At this point, those are sunk costs and should not drive the decision, but even hardened VC investment professionals struggle with thinking in those terms; the "CEO group" of the P12 will want to get a return on that investment.

And here's the thing: they may actually get a reasonable return on it.

We'll see.

From the Pac's perspective, do you take a deal worth less money that potentially "reaches" more viewers, or do you take deal worth more money and a partner that's going to work hard to bring more viewers to you in order to maximize their own investment?

I don't know what the "right" answer is, or even if there is a right answer. But there are a few things I know that can and should shape the thinking:

1. You will get some number of viewers regardless of your delivery mechanism. That number comprises two groups: a. dedicated fans of your schools and b. serious college football fans. The number in "b." is going to fluctuate based on how good your teams are. If you have multiple teams in the top 15, you're going to get some amount of eyeballs almost no matter what the platform.

2. The legacy networks are NOT going to give you very many of their "prime" slots, regardless of how much of a discount you're willing to offer them. The prime slots are going to those leagues into which the networks have made their largest investments: the B1G and SEC. You're getting the second tier slots with them, period.

3. You have an additional asset that is part of the contract: the Pac12 network. You have the equipment, studios, and more importantly, the knowledge and the people necessary to produce live sports content. This has minimal value to the legacy networks. It potentially has a lot of value to the new media partners.

That last piece is actually what I think will drive the ultimate deal more than anything. The P12 made a bet an investment in building out their own network with their own production capabilities. At this point, those are sunk costs and should not drive the decision, but even hardened VC investment professionals struggle with thinking in those terms; the "CEO group" of the P12 will want to get a return on that investment.

We'll see.
Spot on.

I'd add that if it's a streaming deal with maybe ESPN and an airwaves network each buying rights to a Pac-12 feature game in a time slot each week with the rest through a streaming service, the conference isn't giving up much (if anything) on exposure.

That's about all you see of ACC games unless you go into ESPN sub-channels or app streaming.

one of the many disconnects for me in this Homeric epic is how people watch and who they watch.

For me in cfb I watch our Buffs and I watch some of our conference opponents. Back in the day I would also tune in to games around the country that impacted us.

I don’t sit down to appointment watch any sec games or big games or anyone else. I watch bits and pieces. Honestly I wonder how many pac or big games any sec fan watches unless it impacts their team.

Maybe a lot of it is time zones? On the west coast I watch a lot of pac football because it is on in our prime time. On the east coast the opposite is probably true and why the pac gets undervalued.

I dunno man.

one of the many disconnects for me in this Homeric epic is how people watch and who they watch.

For me in cfb I watch our Buffs and I watch some of our conference opponents. Back in the day I would also tune in to games around the country that impacted us.

I don’t sit down to appointment watch any sec games or big games or anyone else. I watch bits and pieces. Honestly I wonder how many pac or big games any sec fan watches unless it impacts their team.

Maybe a lot of it is time zones? On the west coast I watch a lot of pac football because it is on in our prime time. On the east coast the opposite is probably true and why the pac gets undervalued.

I dunno man.
I'm not a normal CFB viewer. If I'm not going to a Buffs game, my Saturday is watching Gameday from the time it comes on, taking a break to go out to pick up a monster breakfast sandwich (usually a Kong at Deli Zone), then watch games from the opening kickoff at 10am through whatever the late game is. In recent years, I've usually drank too much over the Buffs and would fall asleep before the last P12 After Dark (or Hawaii home game) finished. I generally plan my primary games and check in on others during commercials, but also follow scores to flip around to whatever game is close and getting deep into 2H. I also switch channels to avoid those horrible halftime shows, even during Buffs games for which I stick during commercials.

I also find time to interact with my family. Usually by yelling at them if they changed seats (or rooms!) and it coincided with a negative change to the Buffs fortunes. I'm much less obsessed than I used to be.

We'll see.
ABC/ESPN: SEC, ACC, B12
Fox: B1G, B12
NBC: ND, B1G
CBS: B1G

On the time slots, this might be too extreme for people but I think the P12 should say 🖕 to ESPN and Pac-12 After Dark, a product that is a terrible deal for the conference and provides no exposure at all.

P12 should prioritize money (obviously) but what about an an OTA network that is ours? I don’t think the P12 has had that in forever.

Assuming the money is there, I would rather have a DTC / Apple TV option that simulcasts key games on CBS and CW during primetime viewing Sat afternoon vs being ESPNs 3rd or 4th option.

I doubt they go this route but the conference needs to break the cycle that their games can’t be broadcast during prime afternoon viewing hours on Sat.

I dunno man.
Time zones play a big role.

I'm a college football fan, and the buffs are my team. I don't watch nearly as many games as I used to, but when I was younger and lived in the mountain time zone, I would get up and start watching games/hype shows at 9a on Saturday, by noon I'd be watching either the CU game or CU's conference's games, and then wouldn't quit until whichever game finished later: the broncos on the smurf turf or the rainbow warriors at home.

I moved to the eastern time zone when that was still my MO, and quickly discovered you can't do that here. The games/hype shows don't kick off until 11a, and even 15 years ago I couldn't stay up till 4a sunday watching football. Basically, you've got the noon, 3:30-4 and 6-8 kickoff slots. CU was pretty much always in one of the last two, which meant that there was a 50/50 chance that the CU game was going against the best P12 matchup that day, so it got skipped.

Unfortunately, the P12 (and CU) has served up some really ****ty football since I moved east. It was rare that there would ever be more than one P12 matchup that was really interesting viewing, so I'd end up watching other conferences instead of the P12.

I'm hoping that my technical, legal return to Colorado residency will coincide with a rebound in both CU and whatever CU's conference ends up being. Early indications say yes.

On the time slots, this might be too extreme for people but I think the P12 should say 🖕 to ESPN and Pac-12 After Dark, a product that is a terrible deal for the conference and provides no exposure at all.

P12 should prioritize money (obviously) but what about an an OTA network that is ours? I don’t think the P12 has had that in forever.

Assuming the money is there, I would rather have a DTC / Apple TV option that simulcasts key games on CBS and CW during primetime viewing Sat afternoon vs being ESPNs 3rd or 4th option.

I doubt they go this route but the conference needs to break the cycle that their games can’t be broadcast during prime afternoon viewing hours on Sat.
The CW is waiting

I'm pretty sure CW would be regional.
CU at ASU most likely won't be on tvs the further east you go.

On the west coast I watch a lot of pac football because it is on in our prime time.

I dunno man.

If I watch games other than CU it’s mostly PAC-12 games. Occasionally a Big 10 game. Never a B12 and very rarely ACC or SEC.

You know what the easiest way to do that is? Start putting teams in the ****ing playoff. This league hasn't done that since Washington in 2016. When you cannibalize yourself year after year because you're more competitive.....you stop appealing to fans outside of your part of the country and the casual fans, and you become late night filler for both ESPN and FOX.

Here's the easiest way to get there in my view-Drop to an 8 league game schedule. 9 games doesn't make sense after this season. As far as non conference games, I would collaborate with the MWC on something. I'm not talking about an ACC-Big 10 basketball type challenge. That would be dumb. I'm talking about something like this: According to fbsschedules.com, Washington has an opening in their OOC next year. Utah State (MWC team) has three. The two conferences could collaborate to fast track a guarantee contract like that. We had a hole in the 2025 schedule that I think happened when Missouri wanted to move a series with us back. Wyoming had an opening. It took a few months to get that together-and maybe that can be sped up. That could help fast track SDSU out of the league. MWC athletic departments would make 2-3x what their cut of the SDSU exit fee would have been over 5-10 years, and the P12 can drop to 8 league games, which would open the door for more opportunities at the playoff moving forward. The expanded playoff would involve the top 6 conference champions in the CFP rankings, and no league has a guaranteed spot. More playoff appearances=more championships=more exposure over the long run.

A couple other counterpoints to respond to-Don't bring up this year. Its the exception. If you think the conference will be putting out 5 preseason top 25 teams (I think-USC, Utah, Oregon, OSU?, Washington) and the most fascinating team in the country (CU-any college football fan anywhere isn't being honest if they say they're not at least curious about Deion Sanders and this program) every year.

The "well, 9 works for the B1G" doesn't make sense.......because they have actual guaranteed wins on their schedule. They serve some combination of Rutgers, Maryland, Indiana, Nebraska, and Northwestern up to Ohio State and Michigan every year for a reason.

This league needs to do everything it can to ensure it puts as many teams as possible into the playoff moving forward. Playing nine means playing everybody. That doesn't do that-you're effectively guaranteeing Oregon and Washington a sure loss by making one or both go to Utah. I'd rather see them both beat the hell out of Wyoming and Hawaii, which could mean Oregon-Washington (which is almost always national TV) becomes a massive game because you have them both so thought highly of nationally that people want to watch.

The conference tried to rope the CW into doing what you say. The CW probably said no. Your idea has been basically rejected by the network that still airs Gilmore Girls reruns. Congrats-by the way.
Spot on.

I'd add that if it's a streaming deal with maybe ESPN and an airwaves network each buying rights to a Pac-12 feature game in a time slot each week with the rest through a streaming service, the conference isn't giving up much (if anything) on exposure.

That's about all you see of ACC games unless you go into ESPN sub-channels or app streaming.
What if you have a week like November 4 this year?

Arizona State at 14 UtahTime TBATV TBABuy Tickets
California at 15 OregonTime TBATV TBABuy Tickets
17 Oregon State at ColoradoTime TBATV TBABuy Tickets
Stanford at Washington StateTime TBATV TBABuy Tickets
UCLA at ArizonaTime TBATV TBABuy Tickets
12 Washington at 4 USCTime TBATV TBABuy Tickets
https://stubhub.prf.hn/click/camref:1011l9Qnz/destination:https://www.stubhub.com/
I pulled this off fbschedules.com, and the rankings are theirs. You obviously have a Gameday contender in UW-USC. (You could easily sub Oregon for USC and have Cal play SMU or SDSU.....if you add them-and you have the same scenario). Here's the thing with this week-Oregon State at CU is a game that people want to watch if the season goes the way I think it does. Smith's a hell of a coach, and they won 10 games with average QB play last year. If they hit on DJ, they might be conference title or maybe even CFP good. Send them on the road to play a CU and Coach Prime that could be looking for a really big win, and you have another game you want to make it as easy as possible for people to watch. Are we going to be able to put UW-USC on ABC at 5:30pm MT and have Oregon State-CU (a game that I believe people will be interested enough to watch) somewhere else on national TV, even if its late on ESPN? I think its big to be able to go an ESPN and say we'll give you as many games for your late window as you're interested in in return for you showcasing any Pac 12 game with playoff implications (say two teams within the top 20) somewhere else on ESPN or ABC.

I dunno man.
I don't give a damn about the rest of the conference. I will watch CU. I'll pay attention to AFA, and watch them if they're on and I'm home-its a different brand of football that is really interesting to me. If I can, I'll watch Oklahoma-number of friends of mine are OU alums....so I follow so I know what the **** they're talking about when they talk college football-at least pre-Prime.

"If it's all about lining your pockets with money, then the decisions are really easy and you've got to do what you've got to do and don't look back. You can say, 'Well, we were 4-and-8, but we made a lot of money.' At the end of the day, if that's what it's about, then congratulations."

Dykes turned playfully sarcastic as he continued the thought Wednesday at Big 12 media days.

"The rivalry between UCLA and Rutgers, I think it's a natural rivalry," he said of future Big Ten partners separated by 2,700 miles. "I'm anxious to see how that plays out. Is that stuff good for college football?

Missouri has gone 47-51 since, winning eight games only once. Texas A&M is 42-31 since joining. Nebraska is 40-43 (26-34 in conference) since joining the B1G.

"If it's all about lining your pockets with money, then the decisions are really easy and you've got to do what you've got to do and don't look back. You can say, 'Well, we were 4-and-8, but we made a lot of money.' At the end of the day, if that's what it's about, then congratulations."

Dykes turned playfully sarcastic as he continued the thought Wednesday at Big 12 media days.

"The rivalry between UCLA and Rutgers, I think it's a natural rivalry," he said of future Big Ten partners separated by 2,700 miles. "I'm anxious to see how that plays out. Is that stuff good for college football?

Missouri has gone 47-51 since, winning eight games only once. Texas A&M is 42-31 since joining. Nebraska is 40-43 (26-34 in conference) since joining the B1G.

I guess we know what Sonny thinks about having to travel to Orlando and Morgantown.

Missouri played and lost 2 Big 12 championship games in 2007 and 2008. They have played and lost 2 SEC championship games in 2013 and 2014.

A quick look at the Big 12 membership and the conference culture:

Baylor- the home of Art Briles, a basketball murder coverup, Kim Mulkey and her public support of Briles & lack of it for Griner - basically all built on the Ken Starr blueprint for a university

BYU- they are what they are, a place that donated and drove the challenge in California against marriage equality (working with Ken Starr while he was at Pepperdine), has codified restrictions on professorial academic freedom and has a student code of conduct so draconian that they suspended a hoops player from the Dance for having sex with his girlfriend

Cincinnati- the first home of Bob Huggins where he had a 0.0% graduation rate and then the place that hired Tommy Tuberville

Houston- Art Briles cut his teeth here and now have Dana Holgerson who even West Virginia thought drank too much, and also hired Kelvin Sampson for MBB who had previously been nailed for recruiting violations at Oklahoma, was run out of the basketball coaches association for rules violations and was so dirty that Indiana officials had to apologize for hiring at the time they canned him

Iowa State-
**** you GIF

Kansas- stuck by a coach implicated as a cheater by the FBI because they'll do anything for their MBB program (and they got their first natty since Larry Brown was there breaking rules), but otherwise they're fine

Kansas State- home of the largest inferiority complex in college athletics, desperately hired Huggins from Cincy and looked the other way because beating KU would be all that mattered, in football was willing to become a JUCO finishing school to no longer suck

Oklahoma State- home of all time greats like Dexter Manley who was able to pass his classes despite being illiterate, a FB coach in Mike Gundy who is a known racist, and a hoops program that hasn't done much before or since Eddie Sutton fled the scandal he created at Kentucky to go there and become the model for its peers by getting nailed for a DUI at 70 years old

TCU-
**** you GIF

Texas Tech- couldn't win even when they had Mahomes at QB, has a culture defined by hiring Bobby Knight and Tommy Tuberville, even going so far as to consider Art Briles

UCF- happy to hire O'Leary after Notre Dame canceled him for falsifying his resume, one of the worst academic cheating scandals (punishment was that hundreds of students had to take an ethics class, not suspension or expulsion), now a cheating controversy over loaded bats in baseball, love them some Scott Frost

West Virginia- when they're not burning couches and abusing Oxy, they are committed to providing a safe place for drunk coaches like Huggins and Holgerson to be themselves as long as they win enough

It's basically a conference with the same m.o. as the old SWAC with some old time religion thrown into the mix which has seen every university with the chops to leave rushing out the door.
Now do every other conference.

I'm not a normal CFB viewer. If I'm not going to a Buffs game, my Saturday is watching Gameday from the time it comes on, taking a break to go out to pick up a monster breakfast sandwich (usually a Kong at Deli Zone), then watch games from the opening kickoff at 10am through whatever the late game is. In recent years, I've usually drank too much over the Buffs and would fall asleep before the last P12 After Dark (or Hawaii home game) finished. I generally plan my primary games and check in on others during commercials, but also follow scores to flip around to whatever game is close and getting deep into 2H. I also switch channels to avoid those horrible halftime shows, even during Buffs games for which I stick during commercials.

I also find time to interact with my family. Usually by yelling at them if they changed seats (or rooms!) and it coincided with a negative change to the Buffs fortunes. I'm much less obsessed than I used to be.
Glasses Spiderman GIF by nounish ⌐◨-◨

ESPN app on Apple TV is quad screened…unless CU or Ark are playing, iPad and laptop open on the coffee table. It looks like I’m controlling a moon landing.
And the yelling for seat changes…same!

If I watch games other than CU it’s mostly PAC-12 games. Occasionally a Big 10 game. Never a B12 and very rarely ACC or SEC.
I’ll watch Akron v Ball State on a Wednesday. And I actually refer to watch it on Hulu live rather than a specific app. The commercials give it more depth. I can’t stand the “commercial” breaks on the ESPN app.

I agree with Sonny, TCU belongs back in the Mountain West.

Sorry if I'm Miaming this, don't feel like reading more of this thread than I have to.....

• Disney has held early conversations to find a new strategic partner for ESPN.
  • Disney is also open to selling or spinning out its legacy cable networks and ABC, its broadcast network, Iger suggested.
  • Disney CEO Bob Iger said he has a good idea when ESPN will transition to a direct-to-consumer business but declined to say when.

Back