What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

Looks like the drive to Lubbock got easier. I-27 expanding to Raton, NM and all the way to the Mexico border.

Still won't improve the look of Lubbock.

a890b041-b3e3-4827-b765-a1c03d216c08-MicrosoftTeams-image_2.png

I care nothing about market sizes or value, opponent cultural fit, or which station will broadcast the games.

The only thing I care about is money. Whichever conference gives us the most money, that’s the one we should choose because the football program needs that support. Athletics being at a high level at this school depend on this media deal.

Based on what? You still don’t get that their market value is still sh** outside of eugene, salt lake, Seattle and co. The rest of the country could care less as well as the rest of the pac. They think the pac is a joke and you can’t disagree based on the last 10-12yrs. Cu is only relevant as long as prime is here. i hope it’s longer but who knows. The pac is a wasteland when it comes to college football nationally. So what kind of media deal are you really expecting people outside of the footprint to pay to watch those games. Would you pay to watch az/Stan or lsu/tamu even neb/Iowa? Personally I’d pay for the latter.
i am becoming concerned. i feel you may hate yourself even MORE than you hate america.

if you need an intervention, please reach out.

I care nothing about market sizes or value, opponent cultural fit, or which station will broadcast the games.

The only thing I care about is money. Whichever conference gives us the most money, that’s the one we should choose because the football program needs that support. Athletics being at a high level at this school depend on this media deal.
KSA buffs!

Another thing that occurs to me about this strategic partner business is hows it going to work?

Is AppleTV, YoutubeTV or Prime Video going to offer ESPN to its members as included content? That seems counter intuitive to the idea of owning a big piece of streaming business when all involved have the same big goal and have a lot of money.

Or is ESPN going to share the rights it already bought with that partner? Meaning consumers will have to sign up for two services Instead of one. I guess certain sports could be on both ESPN+ and the partners stream.

Maybe the partner will just get revenue?

Maybe the partner puts some of its content on Disney+? Rumor is they need more.

Iger is CEO of a formerly $300b company thats sunk to $160b. The movie side has apparently laid a few expensive eggs recently as well.

I think ESPN is for sale
Whatever Apple and ESPN do it’ll start with a partnership first then an acquisition later. Some ideas on how the Pac-12 would get involved if it is catalyst.

• Apple TV / Pac-12 gets their games on ESPN app as a free trial (free first 10m then you need to login). Any viewers who signup from that model - ESPN gets a cut.

• ESPN sells some content to Apple TV - could be ACC bball for example (Cook went to Duke). Apple TV content grows (ACC revenue grows).

• The wildcard are the P12N channels. For all the linear talk - we actually own our cable channel. Maybe the P12N channel goes through some kind of rebrand and cable redistribution through Apple / ESPN.

Kinda weird that the CW picked these up instead of a bigger fish. Why is Fox Sports Net parting with them? ESPN not picking them up also fits the narrative that they are in trouble.

These were lower tier games that the RSN's wanted to sell off cheap and CW saw value in that. But I don't get the impression that CW is necessarily looking to dive into college sports with a big commitment.

These were lower tier games that the RSN's wanted to sell off cheap and CW saw value in that. But I don't get the impression that CW is necessarily looking to dive into college sports with a big commitment.
Except they have to produce the games. Cameras, crew, announcers, screen graphics, etc. It's not like they're purchasing a pre-packaged show that they simply rebroadcast.

All of which makes it a more significant investment than just the price paid for the rights.

Now, if they are also buying all, or part, of an existing sports network that already has those sorts of things ironed out...

Speaking of non-linear topics

1689342951910.png

Except they have to produce the games. Cameras, crew, announcers, screen graphics, etc. It's not like they're purchasing a pre-packaged show that they simply rebroadcast.

All of which makes it a more significant investment than just the price paid for the rights.

Now, if they are also buying all, or part, of an existing sports network that already has those sorts of things ironed out...

Raycom will still be producing the games:

Raycom Sports will continue to produce the games for The CW just as it had for Bally Sports.

Apple buying ESPN?
No so fast .

Translation: “I need a loan of billions of dollars to cover my companies mismanaged overspending on rights commitments.“

”But i dont want to sell or give up control of that maligned asset because it has an important future.”

Can’t someone help a brutha out!?!?

My guess is that 2 to 3 public companies that have that kind of scratch know they can wait until either Iger sells outright or starts selling off some of the content. And then there is private equity that would just **** all over him the entire time.

What I think really worries Iger is that they will likely lose out on the NBA rights next year.

I have a hard time understanding why he doesnt just sell until considering that ESPN sets his streaming bundle apart from all the others. And that uniqueness of having ESPN gives him pricing power will allow him to charge $30 month while everyone else can only charge $15. Without ESPN the future, with 9 or 10 non unique streaming services, is there will be no pricing power. And Disney’s problem is that most of its non sports streaming content is very kid slanted which doesnt lend itself to people paying for their entire lifetime

Last edited:
The CW and ACC thing is interesting. I thought ESPN had exclusive rights to ACC? Does that mean they sold those games to CW, and is that because between the entire SEC slate, majority ACC and half the Big 12, they had too much inventory? Or are they making room for adding a handful of Pac 12 inventory?

ESPN still does not have after dark content for CFB as Fox Sports 1 has MWC now. Maybe this frees up cash for limited p12 deal, or even better frees up cash and some afternoon/late afternoon slots which will be used in addition to night games?

ESPN also needs late night hoops. Can't fill that schedule with Gonzaga every single night.

ESPN still does not have after dark content for CFB as Fox Sports 1 has MWC now. Maybe this frees up cash for limited p12 deal, or even better frees up cash and some afternoon/late afternoon slots which will be used in addition to night games?

ESPN also needs late night hoops. Can't fill that schedule with Gonzaga every single night.
No, but I remember a few years ago when CU scheduled an 11PM tip to get on ESPN. I'm confident we're not the only school willing to sign up for late games to get on there

Sounds like he’s leaning towards PE as a partner instead of a partner like Apple, Google, or Amazon.

PE is like working for the devil. He usually wants the controlling interest, never lets you forget who owns things, always whips up production while cutting cost above all, constantly advocates for a sale that makes his pay day, not yours. Most assuredly they would ask for/want board seats at Disney.

Im not sure Iger can or would make that kind of a deal.

I’m not seeing the benefit for FB. Playing a game that ends Sunday 1am ET. I don’t like it. If the money is the same I’d rather play any other time than late night Sat.

I’m not seeing the benefit for FB. Playing a game that ends Sunday 1am ET. I don’t like it. If the money is the same I’d rather play any other time than late night Sat.
The Pac 12 has had us doing that at least 2-3 times a season for the entire time we've been in the league.

Where have you been?

Back