What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

and why this is so freaking exciting to find out what happens...
I like anything 'disruptive' so lets see.

If it's for the good of Dear Old CU I'll eat crow. I've just not had anything to get excited about up to this point.
I'm been impressed with Brett Yormark so far. Would love to see CU in a conference with great leadership for a change.
Yormark did an excellent job of successfully navigating the loss of OU and UT. Major props there. I've been less impressed with his vision with games in Mexico, expanding further with a basketball focus, and being enamored with having a coast-to-coast conference. My opinion of him has declined from the high point of decisively and aggressively expanding & jumping the line to get his media deal done early.

Yormark did an excellent job of successfully navigating the loss of OU and UT. Major props there. I've been less impressed with his vision with games in Mexico, expanding further with a basketball focus, and being enamored with having a coast-to-coast conference. My opinion of him has declined from the high point of decisively and aggressively expanding & jumping the line to get his media deal done early.
He's evaluating every possible avenue for increasing revenues for his conference. I wouldn't mind that at all.

He's evaluating every possible avenue for increasing revenues for his conference. I wouldn't mind that at all.
I don't agree with the practice of going to the media with what was in your idea bin after the last spitballing meeting. Particularly when they're not good ideas. Either it's hype and him branding himself as an outside the box thinker or it's substance that isn't well considered.

Oh, and I forgot to mention in my first post on him that I don't like how he constantly throws out to the public the names of schools the Big 12 is interested in to attach their brand to those programs. It's irresponsible clickbait.

I think what he's done has been the largest contributor to stories coming out of Big 12 country having little to no credibility.

But he did do a great job on the OU/UT rebound.

I don't agree with the practice of going to the media with what was in your idea bin after the last spitballing meeting. Particularly when they're not good ideas. Either it's hype and him branding himself as an outside the box thinker or it's substance that isn't well considered.
Or it's a public gaging of interest from fans and potential media partners. But we can agree to disagree. If GK's "say nothing public for months" approach ends up working we'll all be happy.

All I know is there are a limited number of channels or services that have the money and desire to broadcast college football and basketball. ESPN just sold some of their lower tier ACC games to the CW further shrinking demand. Doesn‘t mean CW can’t still add PAC games but if the best outcome is a few late games on CW the PAC is in a bad place.

Or it's a public gaging of interest from fans and potential media partners. But we can agree to disagree. If GK's "say nothing public for months" approach ends up working we'll all be happy.
Opinions here are what resonates with each of us positively and negatively for whatever reason. I contrast it with every other conference and I prefer the majority model of quietly conducting your business until a deal is done other than some carefully crafted public statements.

i feel like the subject of realignment is evergreen. this thread will never ever die.

200.gif

I guess there's a reason behind that WE COMIN' talk from Coach Prime. I hope the rest of the 4C schools come with CU. Those 4C schools along with BYU, and the remaining Big 8 schools plus TT could form a nice new core for a conference for CU.

RG better pump money into men's basketball and the Keg renovations if CU is making this move. The B12 newcomers are no slouches in basketball and if UConn comes along...

Preference is to stay in the P12 but I'm not paid like RG is to make that decision. Only question for the B12 move is if all third tier rights are on ESPN+.

i will be at the tcu game in texas. if we do not end up in the truck stop 12, my personal victory laps may land me in jail. if we do end up in the b12, then my vitriol at our new conference opponent may land me in jail.

it won't be the whiskey or the weed... or the political comments.

definitely it will be all due to conference realignment.

pray for us, saints who look after ****ups and ner do wells. we need love too.

And how quickly that image changes if the conference pulls off a lucrative, market disruptive media deal while having the most teams in the preseason top 25 of any conference for the majority of sportswriters.
Based on what? You still don’t get that their market value is still sh** outside of eugene, salt lake, Seattle and co. The rest of the country could care less as well as the rest of the pac. They think the pac is a joke and you can’t disagree based on the last 10-12yrs. Cu is only relevant as long as prime is here. i hope it’s longer but who knows. The pac is a wasteland when it comes to college football nationally. So what kind of media deal are you really expecting people outside of the footprint to pay to watch those games. Would you pay to watch az/Stan or lsu/tamu even neb/Iowa? Personally I’d pay for the latter.

Based on what? You still don’t get that their market value is still sh** outside of eugene, salt lake, Seattle and co. The rest of the country could care less as well as the rest of the pac. They think the pac is a joke and you can’t disagree based on the last 10-12yrs. Cu is only relevant as long as prime is here. i hope it’s longer but who knows. The pac is a wasteland when it comes to college football nationally. So what kind of media deal are you really expecting people outside of the footprint to pay to watch those games. Would you pay to watch az/Stan or lsu/tamu even neb/Iowa? Personally I’d pay for the latter.
Going for the least intriguing matchup in the Pac for one of the more intriguing matchups in the SEC is certainly a strategy

Seems like this could be related with ESPN giving Raycom some ACC games and this is going into the FCS ranks. All Big Sky games before then was on ESPN+.

Something might be smelling rotten at Disney or it's this partnership stuff.

Kinda weird that the CW picked these up instead of a bigger fish. Why is Fox Sports Net parting with them? ESPN not picking them up also fits the narrative that they are in trouble.

I think Bob is fishing for a buyer. It seems like he doesnt want to sell ESPN but he also doesnt want the crappy cash flow hes going to be stuck with for a few years. And he needs a lot of cash to renew the NBA rights. “ESPN will become direct to consumer”. Also hes merging the Apps.

Bob Iger went on CNBC and floated balloons on restructuring Disney’s ENTIRE MEDIA BUSINESS, with a push to get everything closer to the end-consumer. 💥

• $DIS will buy Hulu from $CMCSA
Will sell or exit linear networks like ABC. 👈
I called it.
• ESPN is strategic, but $DIS is open to partnerships
• Marvel and Star Wars will make less content going forward

Iger’s 2-year contract extension makes sense in this light: he plans to do all of this before he retires (again…lol!).

The global media landscape will be redefined in the next few years.

Relevant to $CMCSA $DIS $WBD $PARA (and maybe $AMZN $GOOG & $APPL)

Another thing that occurs to me about this strategic partner business is hows it going to work?

Is AppleTV, YoutubeTV or Prime Video going to offer ESPN to its members as included content? That seems counter intuitive to the idea of owning a big piece of streaming business when all involved have the same big goal and have a lot of money.

Or is ESPN going to share the rights it already bought with that partner? Meaning consumers will have to sign up for two services Instead of one. I guess certain sports could be on both ESPN+ and the partners stream.

Maybe the partner will just get revenue?

Maybe the partner puts some of its content on Disney+? Rumor is they need more.

Iger is CEO of a formerly $300b company thats sunk to $160b. The movie side has apparently laid a few expensive eggs recently as well.

I think ESPN is for sale

Last edited:
Back