What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

random conspiracy theory...

i can almost talk myself into this and i am not even inebriated.

rg to prime: you prefer the b12?

prime to rg: yes, i like the recruiting footprint and the chance to dominate the conference.

rg to prime: are you going to stick around for like 10+ years?

prime to rg: yes, if you want me to. why would i leave if i have it all built here? why would saban leave bama?

if i squint at it all really hard, maybe this is the real TRUTH.

The X Files Remix GIF

as i am resigned to whatever conference fate the football gods have in store for us (like i won't whine and complain, however)... i think one argument in favor of the b12 in this thread may actually make some sense-- arguably a better recruiting footprint for this staff. ok, there, i said something nice.

i shall still chronicle my journeys through the badlands of the truck stop 12 as necessary and without remorse.

also my kid texted me the caloric information for cracker barrel's menu. do you people have a ****ing death wish? why don't you just inject the fat directly into your arteries and get it over with?

Fox Tv Animation GIF by AniDom
Cracker Barrel is home style and southern cooking at its worst. There are 3 flavors on that menu: fat, salt and sugar.

Hypothetical question. Pac-12 secures a media deal for $40M per school per year. Only problem is it’s sponsored by Cracker Barrel. We’re now known as the Crack-12. Do we make this deal?
Not only do we make this deal, I embrace it to the point where I would be in favor of changing the AllBuffs byline to "For the Crackheads".

random conspiracy theory...

i can almost talk myself into this and i am not even inebriated.

rg to prime: you prefer the b12?

prime to rg: yes, i like the recruiting footprint and the chance to dominate the conference.

rg to prime: are you going to stick around for like 10+ years?

prime to rg: yes, if you want me to. why would i leave if i have it all built here? why would saban leave bama?

if i squint at it all really hard, maybe this is the real TRUTH.

The X Files Remix GIF
As long as he has access to the playoff, there’s really no reason for him to leave CU. That said, at what point to Big 12 and Pac 10 records get downgraded so much because they aren’t B1G and SEC that 11-1 in the B12 and P10 is viewed as worse than 10-2/9-3 in the B1G and SEC and therefore CU is shut out of the playoff. That’s really the only concern

As long as he has access to the playoff, there’s really no reason for him to leave CU. That said, at what point to Big 12 and Pac 10 records get downgraded so much because they aren’t B1G and SEC that 11-1 in the B12 and P10 is viewed as worse than 10-2/9-3 in the B1G and SEC and therefore CU is shut out of the playoff. That’s really the only concern
oh, and the revenue gap could get so large that we can't counter a gigantic offer from the sec or big.

access to playoff + resources to compete + top comp + recruiting grounds

now i am talking myself out of it again.

Season 1 Rock GIF by Friends

Hypothetical question. Pac-12 secures a media deal for $40M per school per year. Only problem is it’s sponsored by Cracker Barrel. We’re now known as the Crack-12. Do we make this deal?
I can't answer this unless I know whether gravy is involved.

1. Will Texas stay in the SEC if the B1G offers a better deal? Conference loyalty in general is no longer what it used to be.

2. I agree CU needs to keep things together when it comes to Coach Prime. If CU has another Mel Tucker escape saga with Coach Prime, I think many CU fans will just move on from CU.

3. Being bulletproof means schools can't escape paying the conference a large amount on the way out. The Big 12 was ready to move on from those two so the price came down. The goal behind those GORs is to ensure the conference is able to pay new incoming members in year one and whatever number of years before the next media rights deal kicks in.
Two things are going to happen in about 10 years. One, that's the end of the ACC. Clemson, FSU, and Miami will lead a group of their members to the SEC, while Virginia, North Carolina, and Georgia Tech will lead a group to the Big 10. Two, there will be a best of the rest conference, and its going to have similar access to the playoff to what we see now. Odds are its likely the Big 12. Could that change if the Pac 10 gets a killer TV deal? Sure. I'll believe it when I see it. Maybe the top 4 in the SEC and Big 10 go, while the top 3 of that league go. Point being is if you have an 11-1 non-champ in Alabama and 11-1 non-champ.....Washington or whoever, we know who gets into the CFP. Same scenario would pop up in the future, but we might be talking about two loss teams instead.

I think once you get into a super conference, you're likely set. Both super conferences are going to want to be in as many major markets in the country as they possibly can within reason. If CU finds its way into one of the major conferences, the other isn't going to take CSU so they can have a presence in Denver. Maybe the Big 10 is willing to trade Texas for the entire Rust Belt-that's Detroit, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, and Philly.

Two things are going to happen in about 10 years. One, that's the end of the ACC. Clemson, FSU, and Miami will lead a group of their members to the SEC, while Virginia, North Carolina, and Georgia Tech will lead a group to the Big 10. Two, there will be a best of the rest conference, and its going to have similar access to the playoff to what we see now. Odds are its likely the Big 12. Could that change if the Pac 10 gets a killer TV deal? Sure. I'll believe it when I see it. Maybe the top 4 in the SEC and Big 10 go, while the top 3 of that league go. Point being is if you have an 11-1 non-champ in Alabama and 11-1 non-champ.....Washington or whoever, we know who gets into the CFP. Same scenario would pop up in the future, but we might be talking about two loss teams instead.

I think once you get into a super conference, you're likely set. Both super conferences are going to want to be in as many major markets in the country as they possibly can within reason. If CU finds its way into one of the major conferences, the other isn't going to take CSU so they can have a presence in Denver. Maybe the Big 10 is willing to trade Texas for the entire Rust Belt-that's Detroit, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, and Philly.
If you believe Kirk Herbstreit the ACC implosion won't wait that long. He is already mentioned we could see movement as soon after the 23-24 season. And UVA and UNC won't both go to Big 10. If they do we are certainly going to see 2 24 team conferences.

if you believe the former big commish when he said that bigger than 16 teams might create anti trust and regulatory and litigation issues, then maybe things will have to settle down.

if the pac can put together a compelling 16 in the next few years, it will be fine. i like the pac core lineup right now a lot better than the b12 (after their defections and adds and our defections).

Agree with all points.

CFP isn't going to stay at 12 teams. FCS playoffs have 24 teams in it. Top 8 teams get first round byes.

Heck even the NCAA tourney is going to expand sooner than later.

We’re going to find out on Friday one way or another. Either Kliavkoff announces the deal or is convincing enough to have people believe it’s going to happen soon and the money will be there.

But if he mentions “challenging economic climate” and goes down that road of pinning blame on the networks and economy then I’m going to assume the B12 rumors are likely true and the money isn’t there.

Watch 2:02 into podcast. Interesting chat about all of this.
Flugar takes part in it BUT one of the others named Larry Pilgrim who were involved on the call drops that the presidents have seen a deal from Apple given last February.
I don't know who this guy is but I've seen him in other chats and on twitter. He may not know **** but the way he dropped the info was a 'by the way' statement, not
like it was some bombshell. Not sure what he does but seems to be in the industry. If you have 10-15 min the discussion is interesting.

Last edited:
All these Big 12 media "insiders" were completely blindsided when OU & UT announced for the SEC.

All these Pac-12 media "insiders" were completely blindsided when USC & UCLA announced for the B1G.

They don't know sh!t beyond what we do. All they're doing and have been doing for over a year is repeating their circle jerk assumptions they talk to each other about while running with the occasional planted story from a source.

They'll find out when we do.

Didn’t feel like a well written article tbh. On the two 20 school leagues, she’s not mentioning that many of those teams have no national appeal. Between the two there’s about a dozen national brands. I just don’t see that kind of configuration taking over college football.

It will only happen once a bunch of schools that thought they deserved a seat at the table don't get an invite. At which point they'll be open to the idea of banding together to form a super conference of the best programs & markets remaining across the country.

Yeah I just don’t see how an “NFL type model” is viable when you have entire highly populated swaths of the country with no representation. There’s 1 metro area in the top 20 with no NFL team- San Diego- and the league doubles up on 2 of the top 3 markets.

On the flip side, the SEC/B1G 32 miss out on 11 of the top 20 ( depending on how you count it), and doesn’t really double up on any top 20 market outside of LA.

It will become a regionalized sport if they marginalize Everyone outside of the current footprint.

Yeah I just don’t see how an “NFL type model” is viable when you have entire highly populated swaths of the country with no representation. There’s 1 metro area in the top 20 with no NFL team- San Diego- and the league doubles up on 2 of the top 3 markets.

On the flip side, the SEC/B1G 32 miss out on 11 of the top 20 ( depending on how you count it), and doesn’t really double up on any top 20 market outside of LA.

It will become a regionalized sport if they marginalize Everyone outside of the current footprint.
i'd argue the sec is already totally regionalized and insular. the big seems to have a vision broader than the sec. sec wants to play patsies in the non conf schedule and then count on the league gravitas to elevate more of their teams. only 8 game conference schedule too right?

the idea that casual viewers from anywhere other the sec footprint are going to tune in en masse and with regularity to sec games that have no impact on those other regions' teams seems like a reach to me.

i have watched CFB religiously since i was a kid.

i have always watched through 3 lens in priority order:

1. Buffs
2. Games that impact the Buffs in some interesting way.
3. "big" games that have nothing to do with the Buffs.

my attention span for the 3rd category is not super high.

if CU gets relegated to a lesser league with no realistic shot at the whole thing, i won't stop watching CU, i will stop watching as much of other games because they will literally have no impact on the Buffs and so forth.

talk to some of the hardcore HBCU fans or ivy fans... you think they are glued to the tv for some ooc sec game between ol miss and some body bag game against a directional school?

either we are all IN IT or we are all not in it. this is part of the mad rush from the g5 to move up in any way they can.

Nm. For whatever reason, the quote function reformats stuff. Just commenting that ITB's post above looks like it was copied and pasted from some other forum.

I’ve been saying this for a while. The popularity of the sport nationally, and even regionally to an extent, depends on the entire country being involved in some way, shape or form. The popularity and ratings of those big games aren’t going to be there is half the country is alienated from the sport

I’ve been saying this for a while. The popularity of the sport nationally, and even regionally to an extent, depends on the entire country being involved in some way, shape or form. The popularity and ratings of those big games aren’t going to be there is half the country is alienated from the sport
the consensus opinion seems to be that everyone dislikes the way things are going but those that have the golden ticket are of course going to take the ticket.

if the big and sec were to wall off from everyone else as the p2 or whatever and hold their own playoffs, why would anyone whose team plays cfb and isn't in those leagues watch with any real interest ?

it is going to take a more inclusive plan to save the sport.

Nm. For whatever reason, the quote function reformats stuff. Just commenting that ITB's post above looks like it was copied and pasted from some other forum.
How dare you assume someone that spouts the beliefs of randoms on YouTube wouldn’t have their own opinions and is plagiarizing. How dare you sir?!?.

Didn’t feel like a well written article tbh. On the two 20 school leagues, she’s not mentioning that many of those teams have no national appeal. Between the two there’s about a dozen national brands. I just don’t see that kind of configuration taking over college football.

They definitely could have looked at the different leagues of the FCS for ideas. In FBS, half of the conferences are P5 and half are G5. In FCS, there are 14 conferences in addition to independents. About five or six could be power level while you are either mid-level, HBCU, or non-scholarship football. The Ivy League and Pioneer Football League do not offer scholarships.

The FCS has football only conferences (Pioneer Football League is one of them). There is the MVFC which is the top FCS conference no questions asked, there is the WAC-ASUN football conference and the OVC-Big South football conference. The latter two are more like partnerships because either conference do not have at least six members to have a FCS conference.

D2 football has 24 conferences and nine of them are non-scholarship football.

I can see Stanford & Cal deciding it was no longer worthwhile to offer football scholarships because their diplomas is worth a lot. Somewhere there was talk of those two hooking up with the Ivy League. I do not think that is far fetched at all but this could be the beginning of the end of FBS football for those two schools. That might not happen if they can convince some Big West schools that used to have football into reinstating those sports to varsity status. UC San Diego could be a target for membership to that non scholarship league given their travel distances in the Pioneer Football League. If they want to be FCS level, they just need six schools. FBS level I think requires eight schools.

I have also said it is time for the FBS to have football only conferences. It has worked out very well with the FCS MVFC and I noticed the quality of play was better than the FCS conferences that host football in addition to other sports. That WAC-ASUN combined football conference could move up in the not too distant future and the WAC itself still has a FBS charter that it could use when that time comes. There are enough schools in the B1G & SEC to break off their football teams and form a football only conference and then the rest of their sports join a different conference. There are also at least a few ACC schools that could do the same thing.

Quality posts like this make me want to get a subscription.
In Liver's circle you're not an American if you don't.
You'll forego what you enjoy at whatever cost and basically like it.
LMAO those hot pockets on I 70 E would be righteous for the "culture lovers".
There's a good Sushi place outside of Lawrence or so I've heard.
Oklahoma State has been to how many bowl games in a row?
Fin

How dare you assume someone that spouts the beliefs of randoms on YouTube wouldn’t have their own opinions and is plagiarizing. How dare you sir?!?.
**** you. Nothing copied or pasted.

No plagiarizing.

Just reporting stuff that's not behind paywalls/subscriptions. Sharing stuff I believe is true. You can believe it, not believe it or shove it.

Just tonight Flugar mentioned that not only has CU met with the B12 numerous times but has also had conversations directly with FOX and ESPN. They have all of the information needed to where the next step would be to apply for a spot if that's where they decide to go.

Does CU stay or go ?
He feels there's enough info from sources along with the pure silence from the PAC that Colorado is a -6.5 favorite to bolt. He believes that if you don't see ANY positive leaks from the PAC tomorrow, then to not get your hopes up that we hear anything with substance Friday. Looking at history, before the SEC, BIG10 and B12 announced their deals, positive news leaked (on purpose) several days in advance. So that hasn't happened.

You don't like what I report, fine ...ignore it. If Colorado stays with the PAC and signs a deal I think is better than what's on the table in the Big12 then I'll eat crow.

Wonder if P12 Commissioner GK is getting any sleep this week.
By outward appearances I don't think he gives a ****...he's got nothing and if he does he's been a woose and thinks he has an ace of the sleeve.
I sincerely hope he falls flat on his face Friday, no rabbit out of the hat I'll figure out a way to watch the Buffs regardless...the West Coast can kiss my ass.

**** you. Nothing copied or pasted.

No plagiarizing.

Just reporting stuff that's not behind paywalls/subscriptions. Sharing stuff I believe is true. You can believe it, not believe it or shove it.

Just tonight Flugar mentioned that not only has CU met with the B12 numerous times but has also had conversations directly with FOX and ESPN. They have all of the information needed to where the next step would be to apply for a spot if that's where they decide to go.

Does CU stay or go ?
He feels there's enough info from sources along with the pure silence from the PAC that Colorado is a -6.5 favorite to bolt. He believes that if you don't see ANY positive leaks from the PAC tomorrow, then to not get your hopes up that we hear anything with substance Friday. Looking at history, before the SEC, BIG10 and B12 announced their deals, positive news leaked (on purpose) several days in advance. So that hasn't happened.

You don't like what I report, fine ...ignore it. If Colorado stays with the PAC and signs a deal I think is better than what's on the table in the Big12 then I'll eat crow.

That won't fly here and you should know that already...keep em flying ignoring is a click away.

Back