What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

I'm not sure I'm connecting the dots. Wouldn't UC Davis, Irvine, SD, etc... be in the same situation as Cal and UCLA? Nobody is blinking that UC Riverside isn't in the Pac 12.
Those schools A) aren’t in the same athletic conference and B) aren’t making a move that would significantly impact the finances of the entire system.

At the end of the day, UCLA’s finances aren’t all that great either. But I could see a scenario where the UC system allows the move with the caveat that UCLA subsidize Cal’s athletic programs. Now that would be hilarious.

I fail to see how the fan bases for the schools makes any difference. I happen to think the fan bases in the Big 12 are a bunch of mouth breathing goobers.
They are a bunch of mouth breathing goobers who support their team by going to games and watching on tv's.

Tech sure cares.

I mean, UCLA is riddled with debt, too, so I'm not sure why the UC system would keep both in the red just because Cal is going to struggle no matter what
I doubt they will block the move. I do think they’ll make an attempt to leverage the move in a way to benefit Cal in some fashion. A permanent subsidy would be one obvious solution. It would, of course, put UCLA at a perpetual disadvantage with their new peers. I honestly don’t care about that, though. I think it would be pretty funny.

Fan bases on many of the Big 12 schools actually give a damn.
The remainging schools have small, hardcore fan bases. Not at ton of Texas Tech, Ok St, TCU, K St, etc fans out there, but they care. Texas, Oklahoma, and A&M were the schools with the big fan bases.

PAC 10 Schools have small, hard core fanbases as well. I really don’t see any difference between a PAC 10 and Big 16/18. The money is basically the same, and we have just eliminated the one team we could guarantee a loss to every damn year. If winning is important, feels like the PAC 10 is a better spot to me.

PAC 10 Schools have small, hard core fanbases as well. I really don’t see any difference between a PAC 10 and Big 16/18. The money is basically the same, and we have just eliminated the one team we could guarantee a loss to every damn year. If winning is important, feels like the PAC 10 is a better spot to me.
I disagree about the fanbases. The Pac 10 fanbases mostly suck.

One of the biggest things would be the value of PACN - what a partner that would take it over would want in terms of markets. I do believe that ESPN is concerned about FOX owning the western US. B1G is with FOX. So is Big 12. Even MWC is a CBS/FOX deal.

I think ESPN is extremely likely to have interest in owning PAC media rights, poaching valuable western markets from Big 12 & MWC to roll in, and orchestrating a scheduling cooperation between PAC & ACC to get both media properties a more national audience.

That's the dynamic the future of the PAC hinges upon.
This might be the key to the whole future for schools like CU.

If the PAC and the ACC could reach an agreement that involved significant GOR penalties for any school leaving and that guaranteed quality cross conference scheduling they would have a valuable asset that would provide potential broadcasters with a nationwide audience and games in all of the time slots.

It would provide the ACC with something to keep attention on them as the SEC in the same region goes pro and it would extend into insuring some strong scheduling value for basketball.

Between the two conferences they have enough significant name programs to be marketable in football and beyond.

best wild ass guesses as of this moment: pac stays together, new tv deal, new GoR, and they add sdsu and boise state to make 12 again.

this seems like the path of least resistance and we know how much pac administrators like the path of least resistance. it also gives oregon a chance to be king of the conference for the foreseeable future.

The Pac 10 fanbases are the worst in the sport. I'll take playing people who give a **** everyday over these teams.

best wild ass guesses as of this moment: pac stays together, new tv deal, new GoR, and they add sdsu and boise state to make 12 again.

this seems like the path of least resistance and we know how much pac administrators like the path of least resistance. it also gives oregon a chance to be king of the conference for the foreseeable future.
Seems like those schools will likely decrease size of slices of pie.

UO and UDub will likely want bigger shares no GoR (or certainly reduced length or amount of GoR) and reduced termination fees.

Seems like those schools will likely decrease size of slices of pie.

UO and UDub will likely want bigger shares no GoR (or certainly reduced length or amount of GoR) and reduced termination fees.
conference doesn't hold together without the GoR being beefy enough. tv networks want certainty too. as for rev sharing-- sdsu and bsu would not come in as full partners and it will be interesting to see what uo can get in terms of a larger share from the other schools-- they are highly incented right now to hold the conference together and that may limit their ability to negotiate a larger rev share. no effing way would i give uw more share. good.times.

Some speculation on Bear Insider board wondering if the UC system has some liability based on promises of future revenue streams for their stadium bond debt.

Actually kind of shocking to see how little discussion there is on the Cal boards, especially 247, given the potential impact on Cal. Really reinforces that they just don't have much of a fan base that cares about football.

Only in the same capacity that the B1G or SEC have the Denver market, which is to say that while people in Denver can still watch the SEC network if they pay for it, very few actually do. The same is going to happen in LA for the Pac Network.

I think that's lowball horse**** cooked up by TV execs who don't want to pay.

I still watch OU and other former Big 8 schools. Are we supposed to believe that college football fans in LA, who were in Pac-10/12 country for 70 years are suddenly going to watch Maryland play Rutgers over ASU playing Utah? Bull****.

...Are we supposed to believe that college football fans in LA, who were in Pac-10/12 country for 70 years are suddenly going to watch Maryland play Rutgers over ASU playing Utah? Bull****.
i don't think anyone is suggesting that.

i don't think anyone is suggesting that.

Anyone who says that the Pac-10 'has lost the LA market' is.

Another thing to think about is this: A lot of Big Ten games are going to be coming on at 9 am on the West Coast while Pac-10 games will be coming on at 6 or 7 pm. Now, if the BTN wants to always have USC and UCLA playing at times inconvenient to the rest of Big Ten country, they can block out USC/UCLA fans from watching old conference rivals. But somehow I doubt that's what they'll want to do.

I dunno - if I was GK, I'd be hammering these points to ESPN or whoever else is interested.

Another thing to think about is this: A lot of Big Ten games are going to be coming on at 9 am on the West Coast while Pac-10 games will be coming on at 6 or 7 pm. Now, if the BTN wants to always have USC and UCLA playing at times inconvenient to the rest of Big Ten country, they can block out USC/UCLA fans from watching old conference rivals. But somehow I doubt that's what they'll want to do.

I dunno - if I was GK, I'd be hammering these points to ESPN or whoever else is interested.
it's not about LA people watching the games or not.

it's about the LA market being considered "in region" in the next media negotiation, and the disparity of in-region vs out-of-region rates that conferences get from carriers.

Some speculation on Bear Insider board wondering if the UC system has some liability based on promises of future revenue streams for their stadium bond debt.

Actually kind of shocking to see how little discussion there is on the Cal boards, especially 247, given the potential impact on Cal. Really reinforces that they just don't have much of a fan base that cares about football.
Lots more active discussion on the premium/ paid board over there

Dude. Yes, people in LA can still watch Pac 10 games. The way you are framing this is like saying CU has the Florida and NYC markets. Everybody can watch whatever games they want.

This is about cable providers paying substantially different rates for "in footprint" vs "out of footprint". The Pac 12 is no longer getting "in footprint" rates from the providers. It's a massive financial blow and the entire reason we are having the discussion about the Pac 10 possibly not being financially viable moving forward.

Edit: What hokie said

I Cant Breathe Out Of Shape GIF by BLoafX

Give me a minute... putting my... thoughts... together.... now that I... made it...

What a doozy of a thread. Gotta be one of the fastest in AB history to make 100 pages when we reach that point.

From the initial outrage and posts of despair, to the temporary unfounded hope that the SEC would somehow even consider a 2nd rate P5 program like CU, and back to the despair at the realization that we might be sticking it out with the PAC. This was a fun read and a wild ride.

CU's best chance seems fairly obvious in moving back to the Big XII. My bias immediately wants to blame Rick George for being an incompetent, lazy ass AD content on riding out his contract to retirement. But I'm sure Phil is screwing things over too. I fully believe this ends with a super conference of 20-24 schools that compete for their own championship sans NCAA while the remaining 41-45 schools have relatively evenly split conferences competing for their own championship, also sans NCAA. Obviously the 41-45 group will have much less money and essentially become G5 schools and either join up with the G5 or push the G5 even further down. I will still root for CU but it won't be near as fun watching lesser talented players getting smashed every weekend rather than seeing CU go up against the likes of SC/Oregon/Washington and getting rolled by NFL bound talent. Either way, I still see CU being a punching bag until the admin/AD prove that they care about competing. I'd like to think I'll tune in for super conference tv matchups and still have that love for college football, but I don't do that with the NFL and a super conference would essentially be NFL-lite so who knows. Or maybe none of this happens and everything comes out like sunshine and daisies.

Anyways, I hope KD is fired after this year and would love it if RG went with him.

Cheers!

Back