What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

If the SEC and B1G are only going for maximum short term gains and not long term profitability than I don't really see how adding anyone outside of maybe UNC moves the needle for the B1G or the SEC, particularly given the SEC's market overlap with all the ACC schools that think they are getting in. Everyone says the B1G covets UNC, but If Washington doesn't make sense without ND how do the mid-Atlantic schools get to that number?

The only solution for viability to get anywhere close for anyone not in now would be a shotgun wedding between the top half to two thirds of the P10 and a similar number from the ACC plus 2-4 B12 schools to pull in Texas.

Just add UNLV and SDSU to the PAC and ride it out. The west coast/rocky mountain region should have a conference. This all so ****ing stupid.

Student athletes shouldn't be travelling thousands of miles for games on a weekly basis.

If the SEC and B1G are only going for maximum short term gains and not long term profitability than I don't really see how adding anyone outside of maybe UNC moves the needle for the B1G or the SEC, particularly given the SEC's market overlap with all the ACC schools that think they are getting in. Everyone says the B1G covets UNC, but If Washington doesn't make sense without ND how do the mid-Atlantic schools get to that number?

The only solution for viability to get anywhere close for anyone not in now would be a shotgun wedding between the top half to two thirds of the P10 and a similar number from the ACC plus 2-4 B12 schools to pull in Texas.
Yep. The most profitable and sustainable long term model is to have two leagues that compete in a playoff at the end of the season for the championship. Cover every major media market, keep interest high from coast to coast and not alienate half the country. If only there was a blue print for such a concept.

now this is something if true:

USC:
Bill Murray Rodeo GIF

Good rant from Russilo starting at 11 minutes here. Goes program by program that have been involved in realignment over the past 30 years or so and asks if any fanbases have actually been happy. Conclusion is that Utah is the only one that probably is.

Russillo also shares a story later in the podcast about how he happened to be at a PAC-12 game on the sidelines, probably a championship game, and he was there when Larry Scott came over to a group of ESPN execs and football guys to hold court, hype the conference and all that. And as soon as Scott was done and walked away, one of the ESPN execs just said, ‘That guy’s so full of ****.’ And Russillo was just shocked at the candidness and the dismissive way the exec said that about Scott. But uh, that guy was right.

Lol so 2 years worth of TV money for both SC and UCLA might get withheld and distributed to the rest of the conference? What’s that $80-$100m total?
it is indeed a pittance in the grand scheme. but, having them held in breach of contract in a court would make me feel a tiny bit better. i guess. maybe.

Is there anything more quintessentially CU than clinging to the status quo and suing (see: whining) to make noise about how we were wronged?
I wouldn't assume that's the only strategy in play. in 2003 when Miami, BC and Syracuse announced moves to the ACC, Virginia Tech along with other remaining Big East schools, sued those three schools and the ACC conference. a month later, the lawsuit was dropped and VT had an invite to join the ACC as well.

Is there anything more quintessentially CU than clinging to the status quo and suing (see: whining) to make noise about how we were wronged?
I mean, let’s say it’s $100m they are able to recoup. That’s an extra $10m per school. It’s not game changing, but it’s not nothing and it also keeps SC and UCLA from collecting much revenue over the next two years, actually pretty hurtful for UCLA, which is in massive amounts of debt.

Regardless of all that, seems to be a conference thing, not a Cu thing

The dust has settled for now, I think. It feels like that after the initial shock wave caused by the USC/UCLA announcement, everyone has sort of returned to their corners and settled into evaluation mode.

The relationship between the remaining schools in the Pac is like a new season of “Survivor.” Do any schools trust any of the others? It feels like Oregon and Washington are the two weasels in this deal but they are saddled with their little brothers and the political pressure that brings.

The dust has settled for now, I think. It feels like that after the initial shock wave caused by the USC/UCLA announcement, everyone has sort of returned to their corners and settled into evaluation mode.

The relationship between the remaining schools in the Pac is like a new season of “Survivor.” Do any schools trust any of the others? It feels like Oregon and Washington are the two weasels in this deal but they are saddled with their little brothers and the political pressure that brings.
Why would you call Oregon and Washington weasels in the current situation?

I get the feeling like they’re the two that would publicly be saying “we all have to stick together!” while privately are trying to woo the Big and would dump the rest as quickly as possible.
And truth is probably every school in the conference would do the same thing, Oregon and Washington are just the two with the best chances of getting the B1G-time offer.

Back