What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

Those states are all **** holes except Colorado. Florida has ocean and fishing but also has Ron DeSantis. Utah has skiing but has BYU and weird Mormon Government rules at times. Arizona has few redeeming qualities. The rest is farmers and Christian Taliban. 🤮

Coaching wise were still getting millions and millions less then the B1G and SEC schools and thus will have few good coaches.

Recruiting wise, because we cant get the best coaches, we still get the leftovers after the B1G and SEC have taken the cream of the crop.
And I do acknowledge that the road trip qualities take a hit.....And I realize that we are all a little frustrated by the college football events of 2022.

Those states are all **** holes except Colorado. Florida has ocean and fishing but also has Ron DeSantis. Utah has skiing but has BYU and weird Mormon Government rules at times. Arizona has few redeeming qualities. The rest is farmers and Christian Taliban. 🤮

Coaching wise were still getting millions and millions less then the B1G and SEC schools and thus will have few good coaches.

Recruiting wise, because we cant get the best coaches, we still get the leftovers after the B1G and SEC have taken the cream of the crop.
I tend to like the people wherever I go.

The issue is that those aren't vacation destinations where you might go for a week and go to a Buffs game as part of that, which you get with the Pac-12.

I do believe there are university cultural issues with some Big 12 members. Cultural values, but that's something we've dealt with before. Bigger issue there are some serious problems with academic freedom, particularly with Baylor and BYU.

The issue is that those aren't vacation destinations where you might go for a week and go to a Buffs game as part of that, which you get with the Pac-12.

I do believe there are university cultural issues with some Big 12 members. Cultural values, but that's something we've dealt with before. Bigger issue there are some serious problems with academic freedom, particularly with Baylor and BYU.
Yeah, going on a road trip for college football isn't about a game being squeezed into a vacation, at least for me, and I assume most of the die hard CFB fans throughout the country feel the same way.

In the PAC 12 a fan can get spoiled because it's ridiculously easy to graft a few great extra days onto a football road trip. A two hour circle around Lubbock will yield independent convenience stores that sell cardboard containers of deep fried chicken hearts, livers and gizzards situated under hot orange heat lamps. Bon Appetit.

I would gladly take a three day trip for a game to ~80% of college towns out there. Some of those B12 towns are an exception. Waco and Lubbock, I’m looking at you.

Academically, Were going to be the crown jewel of that **** show conference. So yeah, id say there are definitely going to be some cultural issues. BYU not playing on Sundays and imposing other rules like prayers to open meetings is another. Baylor and BYU arguing about said prayer could be a highlight moment.

TVwise, in the lone star state, we only get eyeballs AFTER Oklahoma, Texas, and a&m have played their games. Which probably never get broadcast against each other by the ESPN gods. In Florida were on a local acess cable channel. So our ratings are never good and the money for the next deal flows from there.

I'm looking for a ray of sunshine here.

Keep looking.

And some are just the best. Athens, Oxford, etc.
I agree, but I think there's a difference between a gameday atmosphere in most college towns, and towns/cities the other 5-6 days of the week. From the POV of college football, B1G and SEC have some great places, but nobody is taking a non-CFB trip to most places in the SEC or B1G.

Outside of Pullman and Corvallis, every Pac 12 town/city is a non-CFB destination for one reason or another.

Who cares where the road games are played if we’re still getting hammered by 30+ every week. I am of course 35 now and don’t road trip anymore.

Everyone said it a million times but give me tier 2/3/4 TX players all day every day. With a competent staff I don’t see how we couldn’t recruit a ton of TX kids.

I couldn’t give less of a f*** about people’s politics, religion, or location as long as we’re in a fun and entertaining conference that keeps us relatively relevant and gives us a chance to recruit.

I’ll take a stadium full of mullets in OK over 12 people in Palo Alto talking about rowing

Academically, Were going to be the crown jewel of that **** show conference. So yeah, id say there are definitely going to be some cultural issues. BYU not playing on Sundays and imposing other rules like prayers to open meetings is another. Baylor and BYU arguing about said prayer could be a highlight moment.

TVwise, in the lone star state, we only get eyeballs AFTER Oklahoma, Texas, and a&m have played their games. Which probably never get broadcast against each other by the ESPN gods. In Florida were on a local acess cable channel. So our ratings are never good and the money for the next deal flows from there.

Keep looking.
Academically what the fuk did just you say?

I would gladly take a three day trip for a game to ~80% of college towns out there. Some of those B12 towns are an exception. Waco and Lubbock, I’m looking at you.
Wouldn't go out of my way to see a game in Waco but I think it would still be an interesting weekend.
I'm sure there's some good BBQ to be consumed. Have breakfast at the Magnolia (Chip and Joanna's place)
To me it's always fascinating to visit different regions in the USA as they are vastly different culturally. Usually makes me really
thankful where I live and work here in Colorado.

Wouldn't go out of my way to see a game in Waco but I think it would still be an interesting weekend.
I'm sure there's some good BBQ to be consumed. Have breakfast at the Magnolia (Chip and Joanna's place)
To me it's always fascinating to visit different regions in the USA as they are vastly different culturally. Usually makes me really
thankful where I live and work here in Colorado.
Waco isn't bad but the hottest we've ever been was decades ago on a road trip there to see Buffs vs Baylor. Brutal heat and humidity. Don't go in September.

Personally, I think it’s fun to be the clear outsider in the league. The PAC 12 rivalries kind of sucked, although part of that was being mostly bad, but part of it is just not managing to muster a lot of ire against teams like Utah or Cal.

Regarding the “road trips”, do most of you actually go on a lot of road trips to watch CU play? I always felt that was oversold in the PAC 12. Sure, a smattering of fans would fly out for a game in Seattle, and CU does have more alumni in places like that, but it just seems oversold to me. In fact, I think you can fill the road trip cravings with good OOC games. The CU Michigan game in Ann Arbor was great six years ago. Go to the Big 12, and do better road games on the OOC slate.

Personally, I think it’s fun to be the clear outsider in the league. The PAC 12 rivalries kind of sucked, although part of that was being mostly bad, but part of it is just not managing to muster a lot of ire against teams like Utah or Cal.

Regarding the “road trips”, do most of you actually go on a lot of road trips to watch CU play? I always felt that was oversold in the PAC 12. Sure, a smattering of fans would fly out for a game in Seattle, and CU does have more alumni in places like that, but it just seems oversold to me. In fact, I think you can fill the road trip cravings with good OOC games. The CU Michigan game in Ann Arbor was great six years ago. Go to the Big 12, and do better road games on the OOC slate.
Good point about road trips, but I think you glossed over the alumni presence piece which was one of the major factors cited in the move to the Pac. For alums in LA, the Bay Area, and Pacific Northwest, they could attend a number of those games as home games. Not sure how much value that ended up adding but that seemed to be the hope.

CU fans didn’t go on PAC roadies because they were usually curb stompings.

I have been to away games at UW, Stanford, Cal, Oregon, and OSU. One thing that is nice about Pac-12 road games (and I've never driven to a Pac-12 away game, FWIW) is that 6 of the schools (UW, all CA schools, and ASU) are in major cities where I have friends, and the games can be just a portion of the trip.

OOC games are way more intriguing to me, and I probably would have gone to Minnesota if CU didn't suck so bad.

We don't have that many good ones in the next decade.. but @TCU, @ Northwestern @Georgia Tech, and @Florida have appeal to me for a trip solely based on seeing CU play.

Some programs get to play another fun away game called a "bowl," but I don't know much about that.

I was hoping to finish the PAC 12 road trip map. I managed to get ASU, Stanford, Oregon and UCLA. Looks like that’s not going to happen now, and I have very little interest in completing a B12 road trip.

Back