What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

I don't know what to think of Wilner. He was the beat guy for Cal, Stanford and SJSU for the Mercury. It seemed like when the P12 put all its offices in his area that he had sources. But it also seems like his sources were in the Larry Scott regime, Commish K is running things differently and closing those offices, and most of what's come from Wilner the past 18 months or so has been his own speculation or him running with planted stories to serve an agenda.
Agree. Used to read Wilner much more when he had sources. And no was less biased. He’s out of the loop now IMO. And it frustrates him. He subtweeted Marchand on Apple story.

The (awful) Big 12 grant of rights is the one factual piece of information we do have. And people ignore it.

The 99-year agreement: In 2012, the Big 12 schools entered into a 99-year agreement to remain together, a deal that comes with an exit fee of two years’ worth of gross revenue. That fee with the expanded playoff, generating another $20 million on top of the $30 million TV deal means any exiting member of the Big 12 would pay $100 million to leave.

Last edited:
The (awful) Big 12 grant of rights is the one factual piece of information we do have. And people ignore it.
That and if my memory is correct (might not be) the ESPN escalator for P5 additions is 20M per school. So either UW/UO take 20 or all Big 12 teams take less. Neither is happening.

(Personally, I'm hoping that the loss of BYU opens the door for Seattle and Denver to join the WCC. Grand Canyon U would also make sense.)
DU plays in something like four different conferences now. Hockey being its own special kind of animal, the NCHC works well, but for things like Lacrosse, Soccer, swimming, etc, DU is all over the place. Did you know, for instance, that DU is a member of the Big 12? (In gymnastics) Having one conference that could cover everything other than hockey would be nice for them, I’m sure.

**** apple
200.gif

When the Pac 12N was blacked out on DTV, a large portion of bars didn’t carry it. Over time, many in Colorado got Comcast as well as DTV and it became less of an issue, but if people think bars (and households) in Florida, Georgia, Texas, Tennessee, etc are going to subscribe to Apple TV just to have access to Pac 10 football, I think we’re in for a rude awakening.
College football is a religion down here. People would by it in the South. Ironically, I think a strong percentage of people would buy it simply to watch Prime. No exaggeration, someone asks me about CU daily, whether that's co-workers, clients, friends I've met down here. Last weekend I was wearing a CU hat and a girl was fascinated about talking about CU. Prime's even helping me with girls!

That is such a ridiculous statement. I'm not a baseball fan so I haven't watched, but I've seen nothing but praise for the quality of Apple's MLB game of the week. Every person out there who subscribes to Apple's "Apple One" bundled service gets Apple TV+ at no additional charge. (Apple One includes Apple Music, TV+, Fitness+, Arcade, News+, and iCloud+.) I would guess that's many, many tens of millions of people in the USA. It's available on every Apple device, Roku, Amazon Fire, game consoles and just about every TV sold last few years.

The MLB game was no additional charge. It remains to be seen what the pricing would be for the Pac-12.

TV+ has been praised as the streaming service with the highest average quality. They're aiming to be the new HBO rather than throwing endless screens of crap at you like Netflix and Prime. TV+ was the first streaming service to win the Oscar for Best Picture with CODA and they've won numerous Emmys already.

When NFL Sunday Ticket has gone streaming only, the future is here. You guys talking like Apple TV+ is some obscure service that no one has or has heard of are really stuck in the past. If CU football becomes Must See TV as we all expect it will, sports bars will figure it out. A cheap Roku stick and a subscription and they're all set. And I'll happily fork over a few extra bucks to watch at home.

One more thing. I have an 83" OLED. There is no question in my mind which streaming service has the best picture and sound quality. Apple TV+. Of the services I have or have had recently. Prime and Disney+ tie for 2nd, Hulu is 3rd and HBO Max is a distant 4th. If Apple gets the Pac-12, I would expect them to be the first to make 4K sports broadcasting of every game standard. That alone would guarantee tons of eyeballs. All of their original shows and movies are in 4K Dolby Vision with Dolby Atmos sound.
Fantastic summary - thank you.

That 99 year clause is not related to GOR as I read it.
That is fascinating. I've been working over the assumption if CU and the other 3 Four Corner schools jumped to the B12, you might be better off for now, but you just ****ed yourself in the long term if the B1G or SEC ever started giving us the side eye.

Well then they could go to the Big 12 or go independent. Which is why they would sign.
You've gotta admit that there's something perversely funny about Vanderbilt, Rutgers, Nebraska, and Mississippi State having much more lucrative media deals than the snobs at Oregon and Washington have now and will likely have for the foreseeable future. The reason it's only perversely funny and not outright hilarious is that CU is in the same boat. 🙁

Brett Yormark pursuing Pac 12 programs is certainly a thing that is not made up on Twitter. And that isn't happening if the entire league would be taking less money if it happened.
But it might be hot air from Yormark with no real interest from P12 members and no way for him to do that type of deal within the current B12 contract architecture. It may very well be him fronting to make the B12 look strong while undermining P12 negotiations. We don't know. All I'm certain of is that these types of negotiations have been nasty and the only school I know of that has been honest about intending to leave a Power conference prior to doing so was Colorado when we made the move to the Pac-12. <Edit> Also Mizzou - I remember them lobbying for the B1G and only going SEC when turned down.

idk about exposure and what not, but P12 football on apple would be the freaking dream tbh. Their app is awesome and the streaming quality is top notch. I watched a bunch of their MLB games last season and liked them. It's infinitely easier to just get an apple tv app too rather than god damn P12 network too

The problem would be apple is greedy af so I'm not sure they'd just throw money at us, but it'd give them content which they seem to need

But it might be hot air from Yormark with no real interest from P12 members and no way for him to do that type of deal within the current B12 contract architecture. It may very well be him fronting to make the B12 look strong while undermining P12 negotiations. We don't know. All I'm certain of is that these types of negotiations have been nasty and the only school I know of that has been honest about intending to leave a Power conference prior to doing so was Colorado when we made the move to the Pac-12. <Edit> Also Mizzou - I remember them lobbying for the B1G and only going SEC when turned down.
The national media would have already snuffed that out by now and removed Pac 12 programs as an option for the Big 12 if that were the case.

The national media would have already snuffed that out by now and removed Pac 12 programs as an option for the Big 12 if that were the case.
The same national media that kept putting forth BYU and Boise State as potential Pac-12 expansion candidates? I think you give them too much credit.

That said, I absolutely believe there was truth to the B12 reaching out at the time they jumped the line and re-negotiated early. They were certainly exploring a Big 16 through current Pac-12 members and those Pac-12 members would have wanted to know their options after the USC/UCLA news hit.

idk about exposure and what not, but P12 football on apple would be the freaking dream tbh. Their app is awesome and the streaming quality is top notch. I watched a bunch of their MLB games last season and liked them. It's infinitely easier to just get an apple tv app too rather than god damn P12 network too

The problem would be apple is greedy af so I'm not sure they'd just throw money at us, but it'd give them content which they seem to need
What Apple should do is buy exclusive rights to the Pac 12 and have a subscription OPTION to for an NFL Red Zone type of set up. With 12 teams (assuming SMU and SDSU are added), 3 games in the early window going on simultaneously, 2 games the afternoon window and the premier game of the week in the prime time window. Basic access to Apple TV gets you whatever game you want with commercials, but the Red Zone option for $100/season gets you commercial free coverage of all the games like NFLRZ.

Back