What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

I think if any schools are leaving the Pac, that would have to happen prior to any media deal being announced publicly, since the media deal is assuredly contingent on what programs are going to be in the conference.

Gotcha, so we think news on all fronts are probably imminent.

I don't have any expectations at this point. It would seem logical that if a media deal has been accepted by all parties, the announcement would happen on or just before media day. However, I can't see any programs announcing they are leaving the Pac 12 on or before media day. It's all speculation at this point.

Someone could have told the B1G something about that NYC market before they added Rutgers.
I don't know about Rutgers, and further, don't care. OU, UT and aTm dominate the DFW market as far as interest goes. I imagine you can find a few TCU and SMU fans around town, but finding one that follows TCU or SMU more than they follow the big three would be a heck of a task.

SMU does not, repeat does not deliver the Dallas market, in any way, shape or form.
If it gets your conference network on basic cable with in-market premium rates it does. SMU's value really depends on the new distribution model and structure of assets. If PACN dissolves other than being an app, SMU's value goes down significantly.

I don't have any expectations at this point. It would seem logical that if a media deal has been accepted by all parties, the announcement would happen on or just before media day. However, I can't see any programs announcing they are leaving the Pac 12 on or before media day. It's all speculation at this point.
Have to announce the deal on or prior to Friday. No announcement will turn the event into a media circus of negativity. The brand is already at rock bottom. It would be like poking a hornets nest of misinformation if no deal is announced. The frustration across the campuses would be (should be) high if they let that happen.

I don't know about Rutgers, and further, don't care. OU, UT and aTm dominate the DFW market as far as interest goes. I imagine you can find a few TCU and SMU fans around town, but finding one that follows TCU or SMU more than they follow the big three would be a heck of a task.

I am well aware of how well DFW has served the Sooners for football but DFW is a pretty big market for college football...probably the biggest in the country. NYC is a nice market for college football fans but it's pretty much for any team and Nik is right that it is about basic cable subscribers for something like the P12N or if ESPN or Apple took over the P12N.

Pretty no brainer move for the P12 at this point to add SMU. I'm sure the P12 is under no illusion that SMU will help them carry DFW after the SEC takes over.

Friday is gonna be interesting

Big Brother Popcorn GIF by Pop TV

Nobody knows. It could be an explosive week and half, but who knows anymore.

There was some semi-legitimate reporting last week that indicated we could some push come to shove stuff around the end of the week.

And yet I half-way expect no PaC12 deal and the narrative CU is waiting to see a deal continue well into August.

Media Day will be very interesting. Ideally they have a deal to announce. Worst case from a public relations standpoint would be if they don't have an announcement and then refuse to address the elephant on the room, refusing to field questions or on the topic to limit things to football-related topics. That would be a disaster and I have to believe they're smarter than that.

Media Day will be very interesting. Ideally they have a deal to announce. Worst case from a public relations standpoint would be if they don't have an announcement and then refuse to address the elephant on the room, refusing to field questions or on the topic to limit things to football-related topics. That would be a disaster and I have to believe they're smarter than that.
Does announcing a deal take away from the teams, coaches and players?

Speculation is the 24th or 25th.
Purely speculation.

SMU does not, repeat does not deliver the Dallas market, in any way, shape or form.
In addition, there aren’t a lot of people in San Diego who wake up on a Saturday in fall and say, “hey Susie, what time is the SDSU game on? Can’t wait to see ‘em crush Nevada’s ass!”

Getting people to watch mid-level college football on TV is not like doing demographic/market studies to roll out new lines of pet food or garden tools. It leads to all this odd talk about San Diego, Las Vegas, etc.

Last edited:
p12 apologists: all is well, wait and see.
b12 apologists: jump in the short bus with us, the pac is doomed.

someone is going to be very upset one way or the other.

i will say this: if we end up in the truck stop 12, my content generation will be even more prolific. it is such a target rich environment.

so, it is kinda a win/win for me and not so much for others.

Jimmy Fallon Reaction GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

OU will do fine. They won't dominate they way they do in BigXII, but the fans and university won't accept mediocrity. They have invested in the facilities and shown the ability to be SEC competitive in coach pay.

They really struggled with the 'SEC recruiting' narrative that A&M throws out, and lost out on some athletic guys to that. I think with a level playing field that turn that table around and have a better legacy than some of the SEC teams throwing that around. OU has also shown more commitment to NIL collectives in the past year.

There will be an important window in the first few years under Venables. He has shown he can recruit and is in the middle of July stretch they could make this class as competitive as last years. If he fails thay will be on him as he has maintained the blue chip ratio.

They are in much better shape than with Lincoln Riley. They needed a physicality mentality to compete in the SEC, and Riley wasn't about that.
Nebraska had all those those things too. And there plenty of their fans are plenty pissed off at how they are average in that conference.

Like NU learned about the B1G, A&M and Missouri have already learned about the SEC; If you are not one of 2 or 3 schools that dominate the broadcast coverage youre just a speed bump on their schedule. Once you fail to win you struggle to recruit

Someone could have told the B1G something about that NYC market before they added Rutgers.
Rutgers changed the cable carriage fee from 'out of market' to 'in market' status for all of NJ and for NYC. Everyones cable bill went up and FOX got 50¢ instead of 10¢ for millions of cable and satellite subscriptions.

Pretty sure we now know why CU BOR added a last minute athletic status update to its agenda last week, and a few people came away from Big XII feeling the winds of fate were blowing a certain way.

Got a sneaky feeling once CW went with the ACC, the PAC12's linear partner went out the door, and it started to become apparent where this was heading.

Rutgers changed the cable carriage fee from 'out of market' to 'in market' status for all of NJ and for NYC. Everyones cable bill went up and FOX got 50¢ instead of 10¢ for millions of cable and satellite subscriptions.
Having FOX and an army of local Big Ten alumni all leaning on cable providers made that happen. It's been lucrative for the Big Ten Network angle but they had to add very little to the NBC/CBS/FOX contracts.

Back