What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

I meant that when you see school ADs become incredibly flush you don't necessarily see their football team achieve more success. But you start seeing those schools reach new levels in non-revenue sports or sports they weren't traditionally all that good at (like how the SEC has become a power in men's & women's hoops since football driven revenue exploded).
And baseball. And softball. And gymnastics. And track.

I guess I’m the only person who thinks the most active coach in the history of social media hasn’t mentioned this move on his own seems strange. Ok then.

I’m sure they reached out and got a quote. Not the same as being enthusiastic to self promote it. He’s talked more about the cafeteria than the b12.
Maybe just trying to avoid bulletin board material for his current Conf opponents.

It's not wide open. It's Washington. Then it's between Oregon and Stanford and Stanford got more supporters in the room than Oregon. If Oregon doesn't get the invite, Oregon State and Washington State will be the happiest teams. Gonzaga too but Gonzaga has interest from the Big XII as well

It's completely reasonable and I understand the reasoning, but it ****ing sucks that Washington is in a position to get on the P2 $70M gravy train and CU is where we are. The last two decades have taken two brands in completely different directions. Seattle is a similarly sized market to Denver (14th vs. 17th, I believe), both schools have roughly the same number of alumni (~500K for UW to ~450K to CU, although the current enrollment is considerably higher at UW). It's different now, but at the time CU joined the Pac, CU and UW had roughly the same level of academic reputation.

Consider that before CU joined the Pac:
  • CU had a Heisman winner, UW did (does) not
  • CU was ahead in all-time wins, conference championships, the same number of bowl appearances, more consensus all americans, and a better H2H record
  • UW did have a slight lead in win percentage and 2 claimed nattys
Now, UW has pulled ahead in many of those categories, by far, and is much more desired by the B1G as a result.

It just ****ing sucks. Thanks a lot, Phil D.

Some of y’all need a reality check.

I’ve been a fan since I was in 8th grade (2008) and I’ve never seen CU win a bowl game. I’ve seen us go to 2 bowl games total, with one being the fraudulent COVID season. ~80/130 teams go to a bowl every year and we did it twice in 16 years.

We just went 1-11 with an average point differential of -29. We were ravaged by self imposed sanctions, academic restrictions, etc etc etc. Not only the athletics failed, but Phil also dropped the ball on academics in his tenure. The school also became less connected to its state over that time and didn’t do its best to grow a community that supports it. We stuck ourselves on a channel most people in footprint couldn’t access. We tied our brand to a clown car of memes about incompetence for a decade.

The fact we are given another chance is a miracle. This is an upgrade we don’t deserve. If we weren’t in the middle of the country we’d likely be with OSU and WSU.

We are a garbage bottom feeder program until we prove otherwise so STFU ABOUT DESERVING ANYTHING MORE than the life vest mercifully thrown our way. We have the chance to COMPETE in a conference with a seat at the table and survive the next round.

Even if we don’t make it to P2, there’s too much interest in the teams outside of it for there to be a complete drop off

I’ve been a fan since I was in 8th grade (2008) and I’ve never seen CU win a bowl game. I’ve seen us go to 2 bowl games total, with one being the fraudulent COVID season. ~80/130 teams go to a bowl every year and we did it twice in 16 years.

We just went 1-11 with an average point differential of -29. We were ravaged by self imposed sanctions, academic restrictions, etc etc etc. Not only the athletics failed, but Phil also dropped the ball on academics in his tenure. The school also became less connected to its state over that time and didn’t do its best to grow a community that supports it. We stuck ourselves on a channel most people in footprint couldn’t access. We tied our brand to a clown car of memes about incompetence for a decade.

The fact we are given another chance is a miracle. This is an upgrade we don’t deserve. If we weren’t in the middle of the country we’d likely be with OSU and WSU.

We are a garbage bottom feeder program until we prove otherwise so STFU ABOUT DESERVING ANYTHING MORE than the life vest mercifully thrown our way. We have the chance to COMPETE in a conference with a seat at the table and survive the next round.

Even if we don’t make it to P2, there’s too much interest in the teams outside of it for there to be a complete drop off
You have a point. Counterpoint, I have been a fan since the early 80’s, and have seen this program be one of the most feared teams in the country. What has happened to it since you’ve been a fan (and before) is an absolute ****ing travesty. How do I say this nicely….it wasn’t until the upper levels of leadership at CU became unified in wanting to be competitive (and not extinct), did they hire a guy that pushed the boundaries of comfort at CU, and quickly and easily showed the world why you should want to play here. Our sucktitude has been self inflicted, and most schools around the country know that.

That being said, at this point, we need to win and be competitive on a national stage, and I see a much clearer path to that through the B12 then the SEC or B1G

Football conferences[edit]​

Under NCAA regulations, all Division I conferences defined as "multisport conferences" must meet the following criteria:[20]

• A total of at least seven active Division I members.
  • Separate from the above, at least seven active Division 1 members that sponsor both men's and women's basketball.
  • Sponsorship of at least 12 NCAA Division I sports.
  • Minimum of six men's sports, with the following additional restrictions:
    • Men's basketball is a mandatory sport, and at least seven members must sponsor that sport.
    • Non-football conferences must sponsor at least two men's team sports other than basketball.
    • At least six members must sponsor five men's sports other than basketball, including either football or two other team sports.
  • Minimum of six women's sports, with the following additional restrictions:
    • Women's basketball is a mandatory sport, with at least seven members sponsoring that sport.
    • At least two other women's team sports must be sponsored.
    • At least six members must sponsor five women's sports other than basketball, with at least two of those five being team sports. If a conference officially sponsors an NCAA "emerging sport" for women (as of 2020, acrobatics & tumbling, equestrianism, rugby union, triathlon, or wrestling), that sport will be counted if five members (instead of six) sponsor it.

PAC is as good as dead if Utah joins the AZ schools in going to the Big 12.

Football conferences[edit]​

Under NCAA regulations, all Division I conferences defined as "multisport conferences" must meet the following criteria:[20]

• A total of at least seven active Division I members.
  • Separate from the above, at least seven active Division 1 members that sponsor both men's and women's basketball.
  • Sponsorship of at least 12 NCAA Division I sports.
  • Minimum of six men's sports, with the following additional restrictions:
    • Men's basketball is a mandatory sport, and at least seven members must sponsor that sport.
    • Non-football conferences must sponsor at least two men's team sports other than basketball.
    • At least six members must sponsor five men's sports other than basketball, including either football or two other team sports.
  • Minimum of six women's sports, with the following additional restrictions:
    • Women's basketball is a mandatory sport, with at least seven members sponsoring that sport.
    • At least two other women's team sports must be sponsored.
    • At least six members must sponsor five women's sports other than basketball, with at least two of those five being team sports. If a conference officially sponsors an NCAA "emerging sport" for women (as of 2020, acrobatics & tumbling, equestrianism, rugby union, triathlon, or wrestling), that sport will be counted if five members (instead of six) sponsor it.

PAC is as good as dead if Utah joins the AZ schools in going to the Big 12.
I don't understand the "separate from above" phrase leading the second bullet. That seems to imply 14 members are needed in a conference but that's clearly not the case.

I've seen the buffs beat the fuskers multiple times in Boulder, and multiple times in Lincoln.

I was Darian Hagan six times in a row for Halloween growing up. I deserve it all.

I don't understand the "separate from above" phrase leading the second bullet. That seems to imply 14 members are needed in a conference but that's clearly not the case.

Nope seven schools is the minimum and those seven must sponsor both men's & women's basketball. UA & ASU both leave, it is the PAC-7. One more school leaves after that and it's game over for the PAC unless it merges with the MW.

Other things to consider: FCS schools also must sponsor at least 14 sports and FBS schools must sponsor at least 16 sports.

Nope seven schools is the minimum and those seven must sponsor both men's & women's basketball. UA & ASU both leave, it is the PAC-7. One more school leaves after that and it's game over for the PAC unless it merges with the MW.

Other things to consider: FCS schools also must sponsor at least 14 sports and FBS schools must sponsor at least 16 sports.
So what is that "separate" clause all about?

Agree. Live to fight another day and all that.

What were the choices? B12 and fight, sit in the dying PAC until there were no lifeboats left, or what? CU was not getting a golden parachute. If they didn't move to the B12, it would have been brutal for CU. The athletic department would be shredded. Prime? He would have two arms and two legs out the door past this year and looking for his own lifeboat.

At least we are now in a conference that seems to want to fight for it's survival, that seems to have competent leadership, that makes moves, rather than sitting around with their heads stuck up each others asses.

Really.

TV: “Sorry. There is no money for Cal, Stanford, UW, UO as part of the Pac12.

TV: “Now that the Pac12 has collapsed we will give Cal, Stanford, UW, UO more money then we will give B12 members

If it happened that way thats NOT a failure of leadership. Its market manipulation
If the PAC 12 had taken Texas and Oklahoma in 2011 (or stuck a fork in the XII by taking four schools in 2021), they're not in this spot.

They had multiple opportunities to avoid this. They passed on each one. I have no sympathy for the conference, and I do not buy your idea of market manipulation.

I am said that you're losing your cool road trips, though.

Last edited:
Back