What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

This is a dumbass question, but I'll ask it anyway. What would be the penalty for all of the current PAC12 members if they backed out of realignment in order to keep the PAC 12 together? With 8 teams currently ranked in the Top 25, and the buzz about the direction of many programs in the conference not named CU, I am wondering if network execs are rethinking realignment and wondering if they can pay the PAC enough to keep it together.
What I think will be proven out is that this move will not end up well for the 4 Pac schools that left. It was a bad move by them.

Not too early. Answer will be "No" even if Colorado wins the Natty. Big 12 had unequal, didn't work out.
Mash Up Ball GIF

I get that. But they give us less money than they give the big schools (thats the part none of us likes) and the money tends to get spent on the hot coach. And the Big12 conference games are unlikely to deliver the ratings that the B1G conferences games will. Someone with money will eventually make a move on him.

People will say all we gotta do is wait for our B1G invite. Arent we locked up now for 99 years? That move, if it comes, doesnt solve the problem that money is amplifying two conferences and making it infinitely harder for the rest. Which made the game of college football a lot more interesting because more teams had a chance to upset. Thats the part my negativity is coming from. Theyre destroying tradition.

I appologize. I’ll try to tone it down.
The Rock Shut Up GIF by WWE

This is a dumbass question, but I'll ask it anyway. What would be the penalty for all of the current PAC12 members if they backed out of realignment in order to keep the PAC 12 together? With 8 teams currently ranked in the Top 25, and the buzz about the direction of many programs in the conference not named CU, I am wondering if network execs are rethinking realignment and wondering if they can pay the PAC enough to keep it together.

I don't know what the situation would be for the 4 corners schools, but we know from the UC regents meetings that UCLA was going to have to pay a big penalty (millions) if they backed out. I would assume that would be the same for USC, UW, and UO, too. They're not backing out.

Life is not real.

TL; DR the denizens of /CFB are grudgingly respecting CP for his response to the death threats on #11. Even Nubs.

I’m telling you, Prime’s prime directive is not being a punk. He’s not gonna cry and whine like most CFB coaches, it’s just not in him. All the haters are gonna die waiting for him to complain—like their coaches all do.

Life is not real.

TL; DR the denizens of /CFB are grudgingly respecting CP for his response to the death threats on #11. Even Nubs.

Not that Norvell would lie, but I’d sure like to see some of these alleged death threats. All I’ve heard is that “the parents and player are receiving death threats.”

Allegedly they’ve been doxed. Are they getting text messages? Phone recordings? How many, one or two or fifty? All I’ve seen are some tweets that were far from “death threats.” Call me a cynic I guess, but the media should ask for evidence before they report it.

Not that Norvell would lie, but I’d sure like to see some of these alleged death threats. All I’ve heard is that “the parents and player are receiving death threats.”

Allegedly they’ve been doxed. Are they getting text messages? Phone recordings? How many, one or two or fifty? All I’ve seen are some tweets that were far from “death threats.” Call me a cynic I guess, but the media should ask for evidence before they report it.

Cynic

For athletics or the campus? "Berkeley," as an academic brand, has much more global brand equity than does "California." So the admin is going to lean that way. They are wanting to make the Cal sports teams more obviously tied to that brand.

Again, not sure I agree with it, but I understand where the admin is coming from with it. Kinda. I'd just leave it as is personally.
As a Northern California kid, I still have to stop myself from calling them Berkeley/UC Berkeley/Cal Berkeley when talking to people about football. They all assume I’m talking about some FCS school other than the Cal Bears.

Every time I've seen a university do a rebrand I swear to god they spend tens of millions on some slightly tweaked logos I could have doodled on a sketchpad while I was half drunk.
Charlottes was pretty good. I actually had to verify via Wikipedia that it wasn’t a different, private religious, school

In all respects I think that "California" carries more weight than "Berkeley". I absolutely hate when people refer to CU or Colorado as Boulder or UC Boulder.
Granted, my opinions are biased by having been a football fan long before I was picking out colleges to attend.
In almost all cases the top public institutions are known by a singular name matching the state in which they are located. Lesser schools have to tack on State or Tech or some direction or some city. But that's just my opinion and I know it is not shared by any Cal fans I have talked to.
I love that’s it “Colorado”. I think California is a unique situation. I don’t believe there are any other states that have more than one University of xxx in a power 5 conf, nor have as many University of xxx highly ranked universities.

Dude, Prime already has the most net worth of any college coach not named Nick Saban. Money is not his motivator. I'm not sure why people don't get this.
It kind of is though, but only with regards to him wanting to be shown the respect he feels he deserves. He’s said that. It maybe being at CU that may change a little to where it’s less money and more control (which is what I’m hoping for).

Saw this earlier... relegation will still never work from the P5 to the G5 because of the $$ involved. Relegation to/from the Pac-12 and the MWC could work though. The Pac isn't going to get more than $10M per year per team and the MWC probably ends up in the $5M-$8M range... there won't be nearly the budget shortfall to account for by playing with a relegation model there. Still won't help the Pac maintain its 'power' conference designation when the playoff is updated again in two years though.

As a Northern California kid, I still have to stop myself from calling them Berkeley/UC Berkeley/Cal Berkeley when talking to people about football. They all assume I’m talking about some FCS school other than the Cal Bears.
As a foreigner, it was always UC Berkley...and I did look up to there Academics...never thought once about there sports. Stanford different game...love tennis and their history is mighty impressive, soccer of course. Actually like there football stadium and the setting around it. As I remember it, pine trees, sunk-down field, good tail-gate lots around, great bar-hang arounds. Fun times

Growing up in NorCal, I have never heard anyone who had even a shred of an idea about football refer to the football team as anything other than "Cal." Maybe, on rare occasions, they might get called "California," or more likely referred to as the "Bears" or "Golden Bears."

E.g., "When is the Cal game?," "Oregon has one more road game left, against Cal," and so on.

That said, lots of people in NorCal, including many Berkeley graduates, don't have any idea what is going on.

It's certainly a branding issue. But Cal fans, and Pac-10 fans, know that the football team is simply "Cal."

Why it is so, or whether it is smart is different discussion... but if someone refers to the football team as "UC Berkeley," I immediately downgrade their opinion on all things college football.

As a foreigner, it was always UC Berkley...and I did look up to there Academics...never thought once about there sports. Stanford different game...love tennis and their history is mighty impressive, soccer of course. Actually like there football stadium and the setting around it. As I remember it, pine trees, sunk-down field, good tail-gate lots around, great bar-hang arounds. Fun times
Gorgeous campus.

Back