What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU has rejoined the Big 12 and broken college football - talking out asses continues

Yeah, after living out here as long as I have, UVa will say the right things for the camera but then will backstab Tech in a heartbeat if it benefits their best interests.

Go JMU!
Everyone would if the options on the table are an unstable ACC that is going to become a 2nd tier conference that lost its premier members or a B1G at the top of the pecking order and pays 2-3x in its conference distributions. VT would unilaterally leave, too, if they were given the option. JMU would not show solidarity to the Sun Belt if the ACC offered.

Hokies probably ought to talk to Oregon State and Washington State.
I've only met a few Hokies in real life.

However, I have met quite a few people who fancy themselves to be very important who got their degrees at UVa. If the alumni reflect the administration at all; UVa will do whatever is in their best interest in a heartbeat, and justify it as the smartest decision that anyone could conceive of making.

Sounds like the ACC-Big 12 scenario being discussed is that there would be a league office with both conferences existing under that umbrella.

I personally think it’s too hard to do with college sports because the turnover is so high but the big 12/ACC merger is the perfect opportunity to set up a relegation system that could potentially increase payouts to the SEC/Big 10 level. Every year the top teams play each other more often to get those big time matchups while allowing the bottom of the conference to hopefully have more competitive games with teams that are in their level.

I personally think it’s too hard to do with college sports because the turnover is so high but the big 12/ACC merger is the perfect opportunity to set up a relegation system that could potentially increase payouts to the SEC/Big 10 level. Every year the top teams play each other more often to get those big time matchups while allowing the bottom of the conference to hopefully have more competitive games with teams that are in their level.
Because more money at the B1G / SEC level is what the sport needs?

I've only met a few Hokies in real life.

However, I have met quite a few people who fancy themselves to be very important who got their degrees at UVa. If the alumni reflect the administration at all; UVa will do whatever is in their best interest in a heartbeat, and justify it as the smartest decision that anyone could conceive of making.
They’d justify it by saying the ghost of Thomas Jefferson instructed them to do so.

Apparently out there it's a known fact that Virginia and Virginia Tech are tied at the hip and will only go
to a different conference in tandem.
Seeing as they've been in the same conference for all of about ten minutes (historically speaking), and reportedly UVA was generally opposed to VT's initial admission to the ACC, this seems... Unlikely.

Seems much more likely that UVA would leave VT behind without a second thought.

If the merger merger leads to CU getting more teams, whatever....

Conspiracy me thinks this sure sounds like a great way to bump a few teams off the gravy train in order to sweeten the pot.
Would it open both conferences up to dropping some dead weight but keeping the high value programs or would it just open the top of the ACC up to leaving for B1G and SEC?

This sounds like a path that eventually leads to an overly large conference and the most valuable entities breaking away to form something new some time in the future (like the WAC/MWC case study years ago).
yea, makes sense.

Step 1: get out from under ACC ESPN contract by merging with B12. Everyone gets more money or at least exposure/time slots.
Step 2: Create 3d super conference stripping out the chaff.
Step 3: SEC/B1G ruin step 2 by picking 2-6 best programs out.
Step 4: Continue to be tier 2 conference, but slightly closer to the power 2.

yea, makes sense.

Step 1: get out from under ACC ESPN contract by merging with B12. Everyone gets more money or at least exposure/time slots.
Step 2: Create 3d super conference stripping out the chaff.
Step 3: SEC/B1G ruin step 2 by picking 2-6 best programs out.
Step 4: Continue to be tier 2 conference, but slightly closer to the power 2.
Does FOX want to pay 4 more schools the B1G rate or would they prefer to pay them the Big 12 rate? You know ESPN is going to fight like hell to keep those programs from leaving their inventory and they sure don't want to pay SEC rates when they have them at an ACC rate or could keep them at the Big 12 rate.

We'll find out who is really pulling the strings in all of this and who truly has the power; the conferences or the networks.

Does FOX want to pay 4 more schools the B1G rate or would they prefer to pay them the Big 12 rate? You know ESPN is going to fight like hell to keep those programs from leaving their inventory and they sure don't want to pay SEC rates when they have them at an ACC rate or could keep them at the Big 12 rate.

We'll find out who is really pulling the strings in all of this and who truly has the power; the conferences or the networks.
**** them. They created this cluster **** that kills conferences.

Starz Pay Me GIF by Power Book II: Ghost

Would the SEC really pass on Miami? I guess FSU and Clemson are locks. Wonder who else they’d take to get to 20 but it’s about time Clemson joins the SEC as I constantly catch myself thinking they’re already a SEC team.
Clemson is Auburn. Just like Illinois is Syracuse. And Purdue is awake Forest.

Your timeline is off. Those 4 were after CU/UU had already made it 12. I think that falling apart had a lot to do with UT demands around LHN and other concessions. The one that was for a Pac-14 that got attempted prior to Utah being offered was CU/OU/UT/aTm. Anyway, I believe that most of the fault for those other scenarios not happening was UT hubris and greed.
Don’t forget Baylor 😕

When I was being recruited by CC a long ass time ago, it was basically implied that money was not going to be an issue for me there, and CC was super expensive even then.

I might have done it too, if it wasn't CC.
Yep. My oldest went to Stevens Tech for volleyball and the academic scholarship he received was beyond what the normal incoming student would receive.
That said, Stevens was still so furking expensive, I placed my entire GI Bill on him in order to keep the overall student loan total between the twins at a minimum (his brother played volleyball at D1 NJIT)

This sounds like a path that eventually leads to an overly large conference and the most valuable entities breaking away to form something new some time in the future (like the WAC/MWC case study years ago).
Just to make sure I remember how this all went down:
  • WAC membership pre-Big 8 expansion was 10 members: BYU, Utah, Wyoming, Hawaii, AFA, New Mexico, CSU, UTEP, SDSU, and recently (1992) added Fresno State
  • Big-8 snagged 4 SWC schools.
  • WAC added 3 SWC schools- Rice, SMU, TCU- plus 3 more: Tulsa, SJSU, and UNLV
  • 3 years later in 1999, BYU, Utah, AFA, CSU, and Wyoming decided to break away from the conference. They invited UNLV, UNM, and SDSU to join. this became an 8 member MWC and left out legacy members UTEP and Hawaii, and recently added Fresno State
  • They went back and got TCU again 6 years later.
Based upon that, I'd say that the most analogous scenario would be ACC/B12 merger, then that nullifies the ACC media deal the 6-7 teams from the ACC that are looking to leave now woudl form a new league in like 3 years and snag a few other schools to get to ~12.

Would it open both conferences up to dropping some dead weight but keeping the high value programs or would it just open the top of the ACC up to leaving for B1G and SEC?
I think you are on the right track, a merger could only happen if the ACC officially broke up and the GoR was ended. Even if ESPN supported the merger, it would open the door for the ACC schools to be free agents. The top brands would go BIg 10/SEC, some leftovers to Big 12. This story seems like a nothingburger. Someday the ACC will break up, but we are not there yet.

Back