What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

CU officially hires Mel Tucker as new Head Football Coach

Looks like that plane flew in from Mobile to ATL. Sometimes with NetJets it is easier (and cheaper) if you go to them instead of them coming to you. They act a lot like an airline, but with more flexibility. A least they flew on a relatively new Citation Latitude. Don't know if CU is a NetJets member or if they just charter individual flights as needed.

Best news to come home to! I’m so ****ing hyped I don’t know what to do with myself.

His recruiting priorities, the no excuses mentality, Saban’s praises for him, bringing back this sleeping giant... YES... YES...
giphy.gif

Last edited:
I was in Georgia this summer, and honestly folks, there is not that much difference in the geography and the beauty of both states. Georgia is hotter, and Colorado is cooler. I really think he can get kids out here, but as I have mentioned before, drop the CSU's and Nebraska's and keep adding the Georgia Tech's, Tennessee's and make it so that when we get those kids, they can play in their backyards at least once or twice! We also need to win so that we can get on prime times, instead of being on PAC12 after dark, so mom and dad on the East Coast can watch their kid play.

The vibe is so different now!!! We went from the JV Coaches to a real Varsity Coach!

Yes it is. We have mountains. They don't. The end. Can we stop with the MM hate now? Dude did what he was brought here to do-and set us up to go hire a guy like CMT.

Last edited:
Like right on the GA/NC border? sure.

No real message to it, just remembering being in a ski law class at CU and several of the cases were from Georgia and I had to google it to make sure it wasn't a misprint. They definitely don't look like they could fairly called mountains.

Yes. And judging him by his performance those two years instead of his entire career is dumb.

Not trying to do that. I think the 10 years in the NFL only benefits us as a program and serving as DC three different times only benefits us. Dude knows talent.

No real message to it, just remembering being in a ski law class at CU and several of the cases were from Georgia and I had to google it to make sure it wasn't a misprint. They definitely don't look like they could fairly called mountains.

I googled it and got ski areas in the REPUBLIC of Georgia, but sure I can believe it lol. More a dig at the part of the state that is south of Atlanta.................

Asking for honest opinions here: I keep seeing that "For years in the NFL, Mel was considered not only a top coordinator but a head coaching candidate". The only program I know of that he was named a candidate for was Tennessee. If he has been considered a candidate for years why has it taken this long for him to become a head coach?? That seems odd..

Asking for honest opinions here: I keep seeing that "For years in the NFL, Mel was considered not only a top coordinator but a head coaching candidate". The only program I know of that he was named a candidate for was Tennessee. If he has been considered a candidate for years why has it taken this long for him to become a head coach?? That seems odd..
Because it wasn't until this year when his dream job came open.

He's only 46.

He got Interim HC at Jacksonville. I guess he was getting interviews or mentioned for interviews like he was on the path in the NFL and that's why he stayed there so long. But it didn't materialize so he went back to Saban at Alabama. Guess he was mentioned as a candidate at Maryland until they zeroed in on Locksley this year. And, yeah, last year it looks like he was on Fulmer's short list for the Tennessee job with Pruitt.

Any time his name has come up on Reddit you've had multiple Bears fans chime in on how terrible he was in Chicago.
Oh I’m sure. I was just talking about this board and 247. The dude literally wanted to do him like Tennessee fans did Schiano.

A
I googled it and got ski areas in the REPUBLIC of Georgia, but sure I can believe it lol. More a dig at the part of the state that is south of Atlanta.................

apparently Sky Valley, which was in Georgia, has closed. There is however one called Cloudmont in Alabama... can't imagine what that'd be like o_O

Race is probably a small factor? I mean, it has to at least be a factor. Only 3 of the 25 highest paid CFB coaches are black. #10 Willie Taggert & Lovie Smith tied at $5 million/year. #20 David Shaw at $4.3 million/year. Given how many black assistant coaches there are isn't it odd?

Race is probably a small factor? I mean, it has to at least be a factor. Only 3 of the 25 highest paid CFB coaches are black. #10 Willie Taggert & Lovie Smith tied at $5 million/year. #20 David Shaw at $4.3 million/year. Given how many black assistant coaches there are isn't it odd?

He did turn down a chance at the Wisconsin job when he was with the Jags before he came back to college ball-I think it was right after Boss Hawg left for Arky. Could just be right place at the right time as much as anything.

Considering how many years it has been now with such a high percentage of college and pro players being African-American and that most people in the coaching ranks are guys who played the game... of course there's racism involved when you look at the low percentage of HCs, ADs and GMs who are AAs. It's crazy. People talking about how great the Pac-12 is doing with it being 4/12 now. That's actually an under-representation and it's the best in major conference football. I'm just hoping that I live to see the day when this isn't even a conversation any more outside of a history lesson.

Last edited:
Seems pretty straightforward. He was on the HC track and then both his NFL teams fell apart, so he had to go rehab his career with a few years with Saban and Smart. Worked out well for us.

Back