1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CU Recruiting Colorado (pruned from Kemp thread)

Discussion in 'University of Colorado Recruiting Archive' started by Buffnik, Mar 27, 2015.

1. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Yeah. We haven't had a big year in-state since 2009 with Kasa and Harris.

2. onealcd

onealcd Club Member Club Member

The year after landing Major and Givens. So much optimism around the program then.

3. SuperiorBuff

SuperiorBuff Well-Known Member

This is what I keep telling my son.

4. TSchekler

TSchekler Darth's Hero Club Member

Lynott. This coaching regime has done a much better job of developing relationships with high school coaches and keeping the top kids here, than the two previous staffs. Would have been nice to get Lee and Anderson as well but both remained solid to Riley and never opened their recruiting back up when Pelini was canned.

5. SuperiorBuff

He loves CU, and I don't think he would think twice about it if we lived on the south side of Denver. He wants the experience of leaving home. Over half of his class will go to CU, he just isn't one of them.

6. TSchekler

And Kasa wasn't even originally a CU commit. It took Urban Meyer telling him he'd be an OL at Florida to get him to switch.

7. TSchekler

Admit it, you're just cheap and don't want to pay OOS tuition! :lol:

8. SuperiorBuff

You're ****ing-A right.:rofl: His first choice is West Point. We'll see how that goes, odds aren't great.

On a side note he has known Carlo since kindergarten and desperately wants to see him at CU.

9. Buffnik

Miller in 2007. Hawkins had a nice 3-year run on in-state recruiting. Recruiting in general, really. Although 2009 was a very uneven class that showed the momentum was gone.

10. Darian3Hagan

Darian3Hagan '89 Player of the Year Club Member

My son is 20 months old and doesn't have a choice, if I'm paying that is.

11. 2001fan

2001fan New Member

Lynott wasn't the top recruit, Lee was who has deep family ties to NU is the #1 reason he never looked back. Pelini leaving was just a bonus. It was a weak year for recruiting in CO high schools. Not a lot of elite or solid talent, only about 3-4 guys worth getting excited about. After the top 4 guys the talent pool shrinks bigtime compared to the last 4 years especially 2014 & 2012, loaded with studs both those years. Mac has done much better in state and rebuilding a lot of burnt bridges by the previous two staffs, no doubt about that, but he needs to be getting the top 3s in state every year like Kemp, Fox, Baylis, Miles, O'Connor etc. right now he's trying to make it with the leftovers.

I think that Patrick Carr is going to be the jewel of this class. Very explosive and breaks away very well. Could be the starter at some point this year, very excited about him.

12. FLounder

FLounder The Buffs will rise again! Club Member

Have you seen lynott in person. That kid is clearly the #1 recruit in CO.

13. onealcd

onealcd Club Member Club Member

Lynott is good and everything but probably number 2 behind Lee.

14. 2001fan

2001fan New Member

Be that as it may, are you telling me he's going win the games all by himself? 1 4-star lineman isn't going to make an immediate impact, he'll be a great compliment to the offense and probably be in a rotation at guard this year or maybe claim the starting job but there's still 21 more spots to be filled on the freshman roster that aren't his caliber. Need to be signing those kind of guys instead of the leftovers. If you want to beat the USCs and the Oregons, you need to be taking their recruits from them and not the other way around cause right now they're holding all the cards. You may have gotten Lynott, but what about all the great many other kids like him that went to all the other top tier programs in the PAC12 rather than ours? Sure coaching and experience counts but the players have to be able to run fast and have the talent.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
  15. skinsfan55

skinsfan55 Club Member Club Member

I dunno, my personality is such that I would:

1.) Want to have the search over ASAP because I wouldn't like all the extra attention/distraction.
    2.) Rather help build a winner than go to a place with established tradition.
    3.) Want to be an early recruit who actively helps bring others into the class.

You'll be amazed to hear I was never a highly touted football prospect, but I'd assume I'd still feel the same way if I had been. Kemp might feel differently, he probably does, but CU would be a really attractive option for me if I was in his shoes.

16. TSchekler

I'm not sure what the point is here. Of course Lynott isn't going to win games all by himself, but neither would Eric Lee or Avery Anderson (#1 & #2). That whole point I was originally making was that top Colorado recruits are now becoming a priority by MM and his staff, and it's starting to show with 3 of the top 5 Colorado recruits signing with CU (Lynott, Middlemiss, Umu). Yes, they missed on the top 2, but in reality they never had a shot at either of them, and neither did any other schools not named Nebraska.

17. TSchekler

I think your #2, in conjunction with substantial early PT has to be CU's biggest selling point to highly touted recruits. It's the one thing the established programs can't offer a kid for sure.

My original point, though, was to suggest putting bias aside and putting yourself in a 17 year old's shoes, who has only know CU to be a terrible program. When a kid has coaches like Harbaugh, Urban Meyer, Nick Saban, Jim Mora Jr, Rich Rod, Mark Helfrich, Sark, Shaw, etc. all telling them to come to their storied, big time programs, it makes them feel elite and "big time" themselves. You then have Mike MacIntyre telling you to come to CU and, all of the sudden, it doesn't seem quite as prestigious. I'm not saying this is the mentality of all big time recruits, but CU just isn't perceived as "big time" by high school athletes.

18. 2001fan

2001fan New Member

The point couldn't be any clearer, we need the top recruits and we're not getting them. Notice I said recruits plural not just recruit. Getting one true stud a year and hoping there's a couple diamonds in the rough here and that isnt going to lift our talent pool enough to beat who we need to to get into a bowl every year. MM is certainly making his mark for the instate guys and it was good to see 4 guys rather than the usual 1 or 2. But he needs to be getting a greater % of the top ones and not let them slip away.

19. TSchekler

Recruiting, in general, needs to get substantially better if we want to compete with Oregon and USC, not just in state recruiting. But along the lines of in-state recruiting, MM pulled in 3 of the top 5 CO recruits this cycle, are going hard after a few of the top guys in '16 (Kemp, Domann), and have offers out to kids in the '17 and even '18 classes already. Yes, MM and his staff need to do a better job closing some of these kids but the days of losing all the top talent in Colorado are gone. Not every blue chipper from CO is going to sign with CU, but they are making a concerted effort to at least give them something to think about.

20. 2001fan

2001fan New Member

Hey amigo I couldn't agree with you more on any of that and Im really glad to see he's shooting offers to all the kids all the way down to the '18 classes. Hopefully well get QB McCaffery but not holding out much hope there since neither of his brothers have stuck around but that'd be a huge step forward if we do. This next years class looks very promising and lot of talent in there. And no one school gets them all but all the schools you see playing for a title do a pretty damn good job. That's where we need to be.

Buffnik likes this.
  21. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

I think it is a little too early to say the days of losing all the top in-state players are gone.

22. sliderNcider

sliderNcider MacLovin Club Member

Have you?

23. DBT

DBT Club Member Club Member

If the numbers are as everyone says, next year's class may not be ranked real high. But our quality had sure better improve. We need to start bringing in P5 talent, stating the obvious.

24. zbuff

zbuff Club Member Club Member

His "are you really sure you want to come to CU?" weak play played a lot better in-state.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
  25. DBT

DBT Club Member Club Member

We will always lose top in state players from time to time. Even if we become a national power. Some kids just want to leave. Some want to stay close to home. Our program depends on kids who want to get away from home as a matter of fact.

26. Buffnik

It was also dependent on bringing in OVs after the season while the team was practicing for a bowl game. You've got to be building momentum in-season to make that recruiting strategy pay off with a top rated class.

27. buffaholic

buffaholic Club Member Club Member

As do the Washington and Arizona schools.

28. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

I don't expect to land all of them, but we shouldn't be hanging our hat on landing three of the top five in a down year either. Suppose it comes with the territory of very low recruiting expectations though.