What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Cue the SEC fans

Should SEC get special consideration?

• Yes. 12-1 SEC Champ belongs

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • No. Undefeated big boy conference team trumps SEC

Votes: 90 94.7%

• Total voters
Why is it difficult to realize the SEC is being rewarded? Oregon had a chance to beat the weakest SEC team in the BCS and got beat. LSU spanked them last year. It is amazing to me that the SEC has won the last 6 titles with 4 different teams and all I see on here is how overrated the SEC is. The SEC is back in now and will make it seven in a row vs Notre Dame.

IIRC, Oregon wasn't the only team in this national championship discussion to lose to LSU last year. The voters just didn't decide to give Oregon a mulligan on that one....

It's amazing you regurgitated the same tired arguments. We are trying to talk rationally about 2012 and only 2012.

The same argument still works for me. If you are the returning champion you get the benefit of the doubt. Alabama would also be a neutral field favorite against any BCS team. I used that last year also but it still works. Until the SEC loses in the BCSCG they will get the benefit.

The same argument still works for me. If you are the returning champion you get the benefit of the doubt. Alabama would also be a neutral field favorite against any BCS team. I used that last year also but it still works. Until the SEC loses in the BCSCG they will get the benefit.

...unless you guys lose, then it becomes all about the grueling 8-game conference schedule of the SEC.

Maybe a slight edge to Bama, but that's the whole damn point. Michigan and Miss. St.? Impressive!

And I threw UW and USC in there, how impressive were those? USC couldn't have choked any harder this season if they tried, and I guarantee they'll choke again next week.

And I threw UW and USC in there, how impressive were those? USC couldn't have choked any harder this season if they tried, and I guarantee they'll choke again next week.

They're not that impressive. That is the whole damn point of the thread. The SEC gets extra benefit of the doubt when looking at teams with similar resumes. If you put the resumes of the Bama and Oregon side-by-side, neither is head and shoulders above the other, yet Bama gets the automatic nod, no questions asked.

Is that 6 of the top 10? Maybe that conference is good.

Using rankings to argue SEC gets the benefit of the doubt? Again?

You guys are ****ing with the rest of us, right?

Is that 6 of the top 10? Maybe that conference is good.

I actually agreed with you until you went here. First of all, Alabama has only played 2 of those teams and lost to 1 of them. Second of all, some of that is voter bias. There's no logical reason that 3 of your 2-loss teams should be ahead of Florida State, Clemson. And it's very debatable that those 2-loss SEC teams are better than Stanford, Oklahoma, Nebraska, Texas, Oregon State and UCLA.

SEC gets a lot of voter bias. It's been earned on past performance, but it looks like it has gone over the top this season.

They're not that impressive. That is the whole damn point of the thread. The SEC gets extra benefit of the doubt when looking at teams with similar resumes. If you put the resumes of the Bama and Oregon side-by-side, neither is head and shoulders above the other, yet Bama gets the automatic nod, no questions asked.

Using rankings to argue SEC gets the benefit of the doubt? Again?

You guys are ****ing with the rest of us, right?

Yea, why should we pay any attention to the rankings. :lol:

I actually agreed with you until you went here. First of all, Alabama has only played 2 of those teams and lost to 1 of them. Second of all, some of that is voter bias. There's no logical reason that 3 of your 2-loss teams should be ahead of Florida State, Clemson. And it's very debatable that those 2-loss SEC teams are better than Stanford, Oklahoma, Nebraska, Texas, Oregon State and UCLA.

SEC gets a lot of voter bias. It's been earned on past performance, but it looks like it has gone over the top this season.

We will have to beat another Top 5 team to get there. Also Sagarin has 6 SEC teams in his top ten and we are still #1. Our schedule is 14th in SOS. If you want to talk about voter bias Notre Dame will be #1. Does anything think that they are better than UA, UGA, LSU, or UF?

We will have to beat another Top 5 team to get there. Also Sagarin has 6 SEC teams in his top ten and we are still #1. Our schedule is 14th in SOS. If you want to talk about voter bias Notre Dame will be #1. Does anything think that they are better than UA, UGA, LSU, or UF?

No, No, Unsure, Yes

I actually agreed with you until you went here. First of all, Alabama has only played 2 of those teams and lost to 1 of them.

Bama has played 2 of the other 5 teams on that list. 1-1
UGA has played 2 of the other 5 teams on that list. 1-1
Florida has played 4 of the other 5 teams on that list. 3-1
LSU has played 4 of the other 5 teams on that list. 2-2
aTm has played 3 of the other 5 teams on that list. 1-2
USC East has played 3 of the other 5 teams on that list. 1-2

First, it is ridiculous that 2 teams in a conference could avoid 3 of the 5 other top teams in the conference. Perhaps not coincidentally, those two teams will probably play in the conference championship game. Secondly, remind me why Florida isn't ranked higher, when they've beaten more of those top teams than anyone?

I kinda stretched that one with UF. LSU would beat them. The hat hates ND.

For the record, I do not really have an issue with Bama making the national championship game. I do not even really have an issue with saying the SEC is the best conference.

What we have been trying to argue in this thread, is that for 2012, the SEC is getting a little too much credit and conferences like the PAC-12 are not getting enough credit. The fact SEC two-loss teams are ranked so much higher than PAC-12 two-loss teams is a joke.

Bama has played 2 of the other 5 teams on that list. 1-1
UGA has played 2 of the other 5 teams on that list. 1-1
Florida has played 4 of the other 5 teams on that list. 3-1
LSU has played 4 of the other 5 teams on that list. 2-2
aTm has played 3 of the other 5 teams on that list. 1-2
USC East has played 3 of the other 5 teams on that list. 1-2

First, it is ridiculous that 2 teams in a conference could avoid 3 of the 5 other top teams in the conference. Perhaps not coincidentally, those two teams will probably play in the conference championship game. Secondly, remind me why Florida isn't ranked higher, when they've beaten more of those top teams than anyone?

You have 14 in the conference you can't play everyone. UF is not ranked higher because they were not ranked high coming into the season, their wins have been close, and they have sucked it up the past couple of weeks against inferior teams.

You have 14 in the conference you can't play everyone. UF is not ranked higher because they were not ranked high coming into the season, their wins have been close, and they have sucked it up the past couple of weeks against inferior teams.

You can't play everyone. But you seem to be able to play all the cupcakes.... :lol:

With 8 conference games and 14 teams, there will be 5 teams you don't play. Having three of them come from the top 6 in the conference seems like quite a lucky scheduling break to me....

Explain to me how LSU/South Carolina/Texas A&M are so much better than Stanford/Oregon State/UCLA. Would love to hear it.

Look at LSU's schedule, they played Florida, South Carolina, A&M, Bama, and MSU. Do you really think those 3 teams could get thru that stretch with only 2 losses? 2 of those Pac teams lost to UW, who LSU destroyed. And UCLA lost to mighty Cal.

The SEC plays 8 conference games. Sorry. That's kind of sad. The B1G will do the same and everyone will say the B1G sucks because of it (it's definitely a down year for the B1G this year, but tOSU is undefeated).

Look at LSU's schedule, they played Florida, South Carolina, A&M, Bama, and MSU. Do you really think those 3 teams could get thru that stretch with only 2 losses? 2 of those Pac teams lost to UW, who LSU destroyed. And UCLA lost to mighty Cal.

Regarding Cal, they are a great example of the talent level in the Pac-12. As horrible as they have been, they only lost by 7 on the road at Ohio State. Buckeyes would be ranked #1 right now if they were eligible.

So if I hear you right, LSU carries the other two teams. Good to know.

Stanford's schedule has been pretty legit, but it's not SEC good I guess.

For the record, I do not really have an issue with Bama making the national championship game. I do not even really have an issue with saying the SEC is the best conference.

What we have been trying to argue in this thread, is that for 2012, the SEC is getting a little too much credit and conferences like the PAC-12 are not getting enough credit. The fact SEC two-loss teams are ranked so much higher than PAC-12 two-loss teams is a joke.

OK, you agree that the SEC is the best conference. so there's no argument there. As for the gap between the SEC teams and the Pac, well the LSU-A&M-SCar trio you mentioned is 7-8-9, while Stanford-OregonState-UCLA are 13-16-17 respectively, which really isn't all that big of a difference. And these 3 Pac teams will all move up this week, so it's pretty safe to say that the Pac will have a third of their teams ranked in the top 15 of the BCS standings come tomorrow night. That's pretty good representation.

You can't play everyone. But you seem to be able to play all the cupcakes.... :lol:

With 8 conference games and 14 teams, there will be 5 teams you don't play. Having three of them come from the top 6 in the conference seems like quite a lucky scheduling break to me....

Our permanent east opponent (tuk) sucked this year and our rotating opponent (Mizzou) also sucked this year. You play who is on your schedule.

Regarding Cal, they are a great example of the talent level in the Pac-12. As horrible as they have been, they only lost by 7 on the road at Ohio State. Buckeyes would be ranked #1 right now if they were eligible.

And they also lost to a middle of the pack MWC team.

Back