What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Davis Webb transfers to Cal, spurns CU

I understand the CU frustration!

However, it is a pretty easy sell for a QB with aspirations for the NFL...

1) Cal: We just had our QB go #1 in the draft.

2)CU: We have sweet uni's and a head coach with a really poor record at CU as well as his overall career record.
but does Sonny Dykes have a "magic coin"?

The Cal grad program scenario sounds like it is the winner here, not the OL issues. Seems like Webb got accepted today.

True, the MikMac optimism criticism is misplaced, now ability to recruit criticism on the other hand....

The devastating part is that the coaches stopped looking for a grad transfer or Juco once he signed his financial agreement. This really pulls the rug out from under us in more ways than one. It's a bush league move on Webb's part and we were in no position to protect ourselves.
Serious question, who else would they have pursued? I never heard of anybody else who could come in and start right away. There is that kid from Boise, but he really isn't a legit option IMO.

Serious question, who else would they have pursued? I never heard of anybody else who could come in and start right away. There is that kid from Boise, but he really isn't a legit option IMO.
Yup, it's not like there are Pac12 quality QBs hanging out at JUCOs in May.

This

People keep talking about going out and getting a grad transfer or a Juco the same way as going down to the corner gas station and buying a bottle of Pepsi. There just aren't that many of those guys out there that you would want to take. If they were there more schools would do it because we aren't the only school who could use a QB.

I honestly don't know. Maybe there wasn't anybody. Still sucks that we couldn't look.

I honestly don't know. Maybe there wasn't anybody. Still sucks that we couldn't look.

If the coach did not have a Plan B, it's on him, period. Perhaps they already have the QB with experience on the roster. Starting QB at Air Force for a season. I'd rather see him behind center than Sefo.

This was obvious from the moment the Cal rumor started. No reason whatsoever that he'd choose CU. Cal's had some ups and downs recently, but they're nowhere near the bottom like CU is. Fact is, our 20-year run (really more like 15) of football relevancy is ancient history, and the tepid football culture and extreme lack of diversity in Boulder (which McCartney miraculously overcame, aided by hookers and blow) will always be giant obstacles for us. We're the Iowa State of the Pac 12. That's just facts.

Given our schedule, don't see how we win 5, much less 6 games. Mac's gone by December. Not even sure he had a real chance to succeed anyway.

F9zavqlooT63C.gif

If the coach did not have a Plan B, it's on him, period. Perhaps they already have the QB with experience on the roster. Starting QB at Air Force for a season. I'd rather see him behind center than Sefo.

Are you talking about Awini? He started 4 games... with pretty mixed results. If you'd rather have him than Sefo you're totally blind to their respective abilities.

Also HCMM had a backup plan. Unfortunately I guess it was Apsay or Jones for later on down the road.

Are you talking about Awini? He started 4 games... with pretty mixed results. If you'd rather have him than Sefo you're totally blind to their respective abilities.

Also HCMM had a backup plan. Unfortunately I guess it was Apsay or Jones for later on down the road.

Not blind although I have not seen him in practice daily. I have, however, seen enough of Sefo.

Apsay/Jones were not Plan B, that was prior to Webb.

True, the MikMac optimism criticism is misplaced, now ability to recruit criticism on the other hand....

Yep. The five QB's this staff has landed: Sefo, Gerhke, and Apsay had literally no other D-I scholarship offers. Meanwhile Noyer: WYO and Montez: UTEP, AF, and NM ST. Maybe Macintyre should be focusing on why he needed Webb in the the first place...

After we're done venting, I suppose we spend the next 10 weeks until fall camp starts sharing our expertise on Lisfranc recovery.

Very disappointing to see the program end up in this position.

If you really think 1. Sefo isn't going to start against CSU, and 2. he doesn't deserve to start you're crazy. He's not a world beater, and he's made some big mistakes, but he's gotten 0000 help from the offensive line, and he hasn't complained once. He's gonna have a big year this year. I've been critical of Sefo at times, but the dude is a 3 year starter and the most experienced QB in the conference. We'll be fine without Webb. Dude was scared to compete for a starting job. Not a winning mentality.

If you really think 1. Sefo isn't going to start against CSU, and 2. he doesn't deserve to start you're crazy. He's not a world beater, and he's made some big mistakes, but he's gotten 0000 help from the offensive line, and he hasn't complained once. He's gonna have a big year this year. I've been critical of Sefo at times, but the dude is a 3 year starter and the most experienced QB in the conference. We'll be fine without Webb. Dude was scared to compete for a starting job. Not a winning mentality.

No Webb was not scared of competition. That narrative is completely false. Webb wants to play in the NFL. He that is why he is transferring. He felt like Cal gave him a better shot at doing so, and based off of the most recent NFL draft, I don't blame him. CU had 0 players drafted. I am sure that didn't help us at all.

No Webb was not scared of competition. That narrative is completely false. Webb wants to play in the NFL. He that is why he is transferring. He felt like Cal gave him a better shot at doing so, and based off of the most recent NFL draft, I don't blame him. CU had 0 players drafted. I am sure that didn't help us at all.

So according to your logic, NDSU is a better school to get drafted at than CU because they had the #2 pick? Just because a team has the #1 overall pick one year doesn't mean they're all of a sudden the best school in the nation. Lost their top 5 receivers, Webb lost the job to Maholmes, transferred, Sefo is a 3 year starter, backed out. Dude doesn't like to compete.

The Cal grad program scenario sounds like it is the winner here, not the OL issues. Seems like Webb got accepted today.

Webb did have some concerns about CU's o-line (which was strange because if he had concerns there, it should have been based off last season before he committed, not based on watching a spring scrimmage in which three of the Buffs' top o-linemen did not participate) , but the reason this saga dragged out as long as it did is because of Cal's grad programs. IMO that doesn't excuse the way he handled this situation, though, stringing CU along.

This blows. I've been less critical of MikeMac than most, but getting and then losing Jones and Webb is amateur hour. If this team starts slow, which I expect it to do, I'd like to see them move on from MikeMac quickly and give Leavitt a shot for most the season.

This hurts. We needed this kid badly. :(

Back