What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Dear Mr. Rick George - Student Section Problems and Solutions

No, we're talking about getting 2,000 to go and care about a basketball game to the point where the crowd makes a difference. You can't manufacture enthusiasm

Getting them there is the bigger problem. They are college kids looking for a good time. Once in the building energy shouldn't be to hard to produce. Some will sit on their hands, that always happen, more will get into the spirit, and in doing so have a good time and be more likely to return regularly.

I'll say it again - why not hire somebody whose only job is student involvement? Somebody who sets up the promos, interacts with student groups, and works on creating a long term culture of passion for CU athletics?
or just make it a recurring Senior project for marketing majors.

I think this country is beginning to burn out on sports.

I think it is less a case of burning out on sports than the simple availability of so many different alternatives.

40 years ago you could go to the game, watch one of the 6 channels on your 19 inch TV (12 and b&w for a lot of college students) go to the library, hang out with friends, maybe work out or go to the library. If you had some money there was a movie theater and a couple shows available.

Now all that is available but with 280 channels plus on-demand on the 35+ inch TV, gaming systems, computers, a modern rec center, multi screens in the theater, and now many more students have cars and gas so leaving town to do something else is much more an option.

With that much saturation available constantly it is much easier to just do nothing rather than go to a game.

An option to possibly manufacture support is to bombard the campus with CU Basketball Posters, Flyers, Events with swag/giveaways, Rally's, meet the players, autograph sessions, Catchy Slogans, Swat the Arizona Wildcat Pinata cook out, or whatever we need to create some excitement around campus. Need something to get people to start buzzing about the basketball team. The team needs to connect with the "on-the-fringe" fans somehow. It's probably too late this season though.

It might be time for CU to start using the "last chance to see Josh Scott" card to get more people in the seats.

Seriously dude I hope your boss comes to you Friday and asks you to fund the company happy hour after work.[/QUOTE]

I am the boss and spend more on my employees then I am proposing for Coach Boyle because it is the right thing to do as well as a great investment. Having Coach B pay for it this year was because we are running out of time with the last home games next week. Next year I proposed challenging the season ticket holders to help with funding. There have been some other great ideas posted as well. I forgot about the $100 give away that rolled forward if the student wasn't here. We need the students and someone at CU needs to improve this situation.

Seriously dude I hope your boss comes to you Friday and asks you to fund the company happy hour after work.

I am the boss and spend more on my employees then I am proposing for Coach Boyle because it is the right thing to do as well as a great investment. Having Coach B pay for it this year was because we are running out of time with the last home games next week. Next year I proposed challenging the season ticket holders to help with funding. There have been some other great ideas posted as well. I forgot about the $100 give away that rolled forward if the student wasn't here. We need the students and someone at CU needs to improve this situation.

Boyle paid for the students to go to either LA or the NCAA tournament that year if I remember correctly. He has given plenty of money back to the program as it is. He needs HIS boss to start forking over some dollars.

Last edited:
The CEC has a great atmosphere when the general public is there and the students. During the Kansas game best atmosphere in the CEC ever. During the Arizona game aka the Valentine's Day massacre the general public was great and the student section was great too. I think it's on both the general public and the students

And it wasn't to long ago that there was discussion about not having enough room in the student section. It isn't as if we are talking about something that hasn't been done before.
This.

It's been done before.

Recently.

If Bohn could figure it out, RG sure as hell should be able to.

Arizona is indeed the blackout game this year. Two years ago we had two blackout games and a whiteout game. There won't be shirts or anything, but there weren't shirts at the Kansas game either. People can dress up in black without much difficulty.

I feel for the students that are trying. They're getting zero help from the AD. Say what you want about the current generation or whatever you want, but they can't do it on their own.

Arizona is indeed the blackout game this year. Two years ago we had two blackout games and a whiteout game. There won't be shirts or anything, but there weren't shirts at the Kansas game either. People can dress up in black without much difficulty.

True. Black is easy. Surprised they are so reluctant to bust out some dollars to make sure the entire arena is blacked out. Oh well. Glad to see C-Unit is making it the black out game. As an aside try to convince them to use the term BlackOut, there aversion to it comes off as really goofy and lame.

True. Black is easy. Surprised they are so reluctant to bust out some dollars to make sure the entire arena is blacked out. Oh well. Glad to see C-Unit is making it the black out game. As an aside try to convince them to use the term BlackOut, there aversion to it comes off as really goofy and lame.

If you have a marketing mentality this isn't hard. T-Shirts are cheap, especially if you plan far enough ahead to get cheap pricing. It also isn't hard to find a sponsor who is willing to pitch in and cover a significant part of the cost.

It is simply not that hard to have somebody doing these kinds of things. If nothing else you get a senior or grad marketing student, pay them a small salary and let them build their resume.

I don't see how no company in Boulder is offering to do it anyway.

Hey CU AD, let us buy you some shirts for your black out game. Black with a white "Go Buffs" on the front. Our only requirements are that you A) let us put our logo on the back and/or sleeve B) Run an advertisement once per half at the game telling them that for the rest of the school year if people come to our business wearing the shirt they get 10% off their purchase.

Boom. T-Shirt sold.

I don't see how no company in Boulder is offering to do it anyway.

Hey CU AD, let us buy you some shirts for your black out game. Black with a white "Go Buffs" on the front. Our only requirements are that you A) let us put our logo on the back and/or sleeve B) Run an advertisement once per half at the game telling them that for the rest of the school year if people come to our business wearing the shirt they get 10% off their purchase.

Boom. T-Shirt sold.

And done right the shirt might do some promotion of the games as people wear it around town.

This subject comes up a bit & all the suggested solutions are what other people should do. If you have a quality idea that you can implement then I'd love to hear it.

As it stands, we have an AD that thinks $30 for a hot dog, a soda (not a beer!) & a ticket is "Friends Day Out." We have a conference that thinks it's totally fine to compete with the NFL head to head. And we have a solid program that has flatlined. If anything, I am pumped to see everyone but the students continue to show up--that's real traction. Students come & go. Only super seniors would have been on campus when we last won a game in the Dance. Even a trip to the round of 32 would increase student attendance next year.

That's great you recognize the benefits of investing in the people of your work place and I hope your employees acknowledge the efforts to look after them. But, suggesting/insisting of how to spend other peoples income is wrong. If Boyle volunteers his money that is his business, none of his money is our business.

I rest my case.

This. I think college sports are flatlining somewhat, the exceptions being Top 10 football and Bball programs.
A lot of college kids respect the athletes on campus, but see them as well-meaning mercenaries with whom they have no connection.

yes?

Just in certain areas though. Not allowed in the seats.
Haven't been back there in 3 to 4 years probably so I didn't know. I'm still baffled at this terrible rule. Why can't beer be drank in the seats at college games?? I think it'd go a long way to help the fan experience.

An increasing number of my overly sensitive and entitled generation actually resent athletic departments saying its a waste of tuition money (it takes ten seconds and half a brain to realize that athletic departments have their own budgets), adds no value to the school, and runs counter to the idea of higher education. Considering how liberal CU and Boulder are, there are a lot of kids who choose to ignore the sports teams entirely out of principle. Again sad but true

.... there are a lot of kids who choose to ignore the sports teams entirely out of principle. Again sad but true
Yes I know the type, they get a degree in paranormal gender studies so nobody in the corrupt corporate world will hire them, then whine for a couple of years in their parents' basement until they discover the wonders of government grants for the study of gender paranormality. Come to think of it I'm not sure we want them at the game anyway...

Back