What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Dear Mr. Rick George - Student Section Problems and Solutions

@StormTrooper

What ever happened to the cheer cards? I have seen one or two this year, but I know there used to be more. Also the effects of altitude sign near the opposing team bench. Is it still being used? While I am thinking about it, where are all the big heads? Used to have like 25-30, think I have seen like 10?

@StormTrooper

What ever happened to the cheer cards? I have seen one or two this year, but I know there used to be more. Also the effects of altitude sign near the opposing team bench. Is it still being used? While I am thinking about it, where are all the big heads? Used to have like 25-30, think I have seen like 10?
Apparently the Big Head printer has been broken. We will hopefully have new big heads for the Arizona game, but we've been digging through whatever is left in the back room and trying to make due for recent games.

Apparently the Big Head printer has been broken. We will hopefully have new big heads for the Arizona game, but we've been digging through whatever is left in the back room and trying to make due for recent games.
Give me a break. Go to ****ing Kinkos. Jesus H Christ.

You think I'm running the show here?

Please don't take the frustration personally. Its not aimed at you. The apathy within marketing/AD is just mind blowing. They had a student section that was nominated for student section of the year 2 or 3 years in a row and have now completely dropped the ball when it comes to maintaining that momentum.

Would take major renovations to the CEC. Its not as easy as just putting them there. It involves re-sloping the entire bowl.
I've said many times that CU needs to put the students directly behind the visitors bench and have contests throughout the season for the most non-offensive boisterous fans to get the closest seats. Make time outs impossible.

I've said many times that CU needs to put the students directly behind the visitors bench and have contests throughout the season for the most non-offensive boisterous fans to get the closest seats. Make time outs impossible.

I like the strategy of assigning students the first 3-5 rows all around the entire court.

We can't do that without altering the entire bowl. They stand the whole game... well at least during game action. by doing so they make the 3 or 4 rows behind them un-useable, or at least impossible to be sold.

Considering I got yelled at during the overtime of the Wazzu game to sit down, I'm pretty sure putting students in the first few rows ANYWHERE is an idea that will never work without construction.

I'm not sure how many games you go to in person, but I'm not sure there would be anyone left if you put the "non-offensive" fan tag as a requirement.

Student section doesn't seem to be interested in anything that doesn't involve the word ****. Hell, they've added it to the end of Fight.

I'm not sure how many games you go to in person, but I'm not sure there would be anyone left if you put the "non-offensive" fan tag as a requirement.

Student section doesn't seem to be interested in anything that doesn't involve the word ****. Hell, they've added it to the end of Fight.

They added that well over 15 years ago. So really, it's us 35 year old assholes that added it.

They added that well over 15 years ago. So really, it's us 35 year old assholes that added it.
They added it to the Hey cheer in the late 90s (when I was in school). The fight song is a newer thing, and I hate it.

Our fans would much rather cheer against the other team (It sucks to be a CSU RAM) rather than FOR our team. This again points to the ownership of the team, feeling like a part of something, etc that is missing at CU. Has been forever.

They added it to the Hey cheer in the late 90s (when I was in school). The fight song is a newer thing, and I hate it.

Our fans would much rather cheer against the other team (It sucks to be a CSU RAM) rather than FOR our team. This again points to the ownership of the team, feeling like a part of something, etc that is missing at CU. Has been forever.
It was in the fight song in the 80s.

It was in the fight song in the 80s.
The f'em up, f'em up, go CU at the end of fight? I sure don't remember that, and I've been in the band / working for the band for over 20 years. It was at the end of Hey, but not fight.

Maybe I'm just an old fogey, don't remember so good anymore.

I still think there are too many students who go to the games played by the team at their school, instead of going to games played by THEIR team.

The f'em up, f'em up, go CU at the end of fight? I sure don't remember that, and I've been in the band / working for the band for over 20 years. It was at the end of Hey, but not fight.

Maybe I'm just an old fogey, don't remember so good anymore.

I still think there are too many students who go to the games played by the team at their school, instead of going to games played by THEIR team.
I meant Hey.

We can't do that without altering the entire bowl. They stand the whole game... well at least during game action. by doing so they make the 3 or 4 rows behind them un-useable, or at least impossible to be sold.

I don't think CU would ever do this, but Ohio State has partially solved this issue somewhat simply...

CUnmAORWcAARn21-e1448418633334.jpg

"The arena opened in 1998 and is currently the largest by seating capacity in the Big Ten Conference, with 19,049 seats, which is reduced to 18,809 for Ohio State men's basketball games. It is home to Ohio State Buckeyes men's basketball, women's basketball and men's ice hockey teams"

Their average attendance last year was 14,600 so it works ok for them. A smaller venue couldn't sacrifice that many prime seats imo.

So they block out 4 rows around the entire bowl? That seems like a gigantic waste of space.
that was my first thought, then I read,
"The arena .. is currently .. seating .. 19,049 seats, which is reduced to 18,809 for Ohio State men's basketball games..."
tOSU sacrifices ~250 seats to get the students courtside. Every single CU home game this year and last year had at least 900 unsold tickets at tip-off (last year's UCLA game was the last time the CEC broke the 10k mark). I'd say this is an idea worth some consideration.

that was my first thought, then I read,

tOSU sacrifices ~250 seats to get the students courtside. Every single CU home game this year and last year had at least 900 unsold tickets at tip-off (last year's UCLA game was the last time the CEC broke the 10k mark). I'd say this is an idea worth some consideration.
They probably do it on one side of the court, and still have a dedicatedifferent student section elsewhere

Would take major renovations to the CEC. Its not as easy as just putting them there. It involves re-sloping the entire bowl.

Only put them on one side, where they can get excited about being on TV. Minor renovations to an arena that already needs major renovations right? We currently put 180million into football and MacIntyre did nothing with it. Boyle would do wonders with 1/10th of that into CEC renovations.

But you know, this is CU: a sinking tide lowers all ships. Even Tads.

Back