What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Excellent news (for most of us anyway)

Does that guy even weigh 200 lbs? :wow: It is absolutely astounding how the size of these athletes have increased in the last several decades.

Ha! I took the picture down. The old linemen didn't weigh a lot compared to today, but they were still mean sumbitches.

It's about time the linemen are going to be used for what they were made for. But, I'll believe it when I see it with my own eyes.

Ha! I took the picture down. The old linemen didn't weigh a lot compared to today, but they were still mean sumbitches.

It's about time the linemen are going to be used for what they were made for. But, I'll believe it when I see it with my own eyes.

I hear you, but Kiseau was pretty emphatic. I would be surprised if we continue with the phoney baloney trickeration garbage that we experienced last year. Smash mouth football, baby.

I always pictured Hawk as more of a smash mouth type of guy. Didn't he play fullback in college?
:nod:

yes. hurry up smash football here we come! (I hope). A team works best when it fits with the coach's philosophy. Let's a coach stay in his comfort zone and really concentrate on the big picture.

AWESOME ... with this O-line and these running backs, it's the smart play.

Two-tight-end formations ...maybe Solder can play one of those spots.

AWESOME ... with this O-line and these running backs, it's the smart play.

Two-tight-end formations ...maybe Solder can play one of those spots.

Interesting idea if they can get Givens some PT at tackle. But I don't think they'll go there. I still have to suspect that Givens will end up at guard.

:nod:

yes. hurry up smash football here we come! (I hope). A team works best when it fits with the coach's philosophy. Let's a coach stay in his comfort zone and really concentrate on the big picture.

Great idea, take advantage of the altitude and "turn Folsom into the meat grinder it used to be!" Pound them into submission!:slayer:

we've heard this before. we heard it "emphatically" before last season... d.scott... new playbook... kai maiava... power football... blah blah blah

i really, really want to believe this time.

look, this team was built to run the ball, maybe not by design, but certainly by available linemen.

we've got a couple of freaking HUGE tackles. we've got some really nasty mofos on the interior line. we've got (assuming everyone gets and stays healthy and eligible) some good depth and experience. this line could be a force.

we've got a stable of potentially great rbs. d. scott has the potential to be great. speedy proved to be damned good with no blocking in front of him last year as a true frosh. i thought sumler looked better and better as the year went on, too. by the end of the year, he was really running with authority. polk appears to have taken a look at the depth chart and asked to move to safety-- that's a great sign considering his athleticism and the fact that he was tearing it up as an rb on the scout team.

now, let's discuss the qb situation and why a power game would help. c-hawk doesn't have the athleticism, imho, to be an elite SPREAD qb. he doesn't have the wheels, size, or arm strength, imho. but, he's got the SMARTS to be a productive qb in the right system. he would be deadly in a power offense because he is smart enough to make some great audibles, etc. and, if we don't put the game on his back, the team will be better off. the spread requires, basically, that you put every game on the qb's back. this is a much better offense for our qb to succeed. if hansen or bally beat him out, even better from a physical skills perspective, i think, but no matter what, if we go power offense, maybe we won't NEED the qb to save our arses every game.

let's talk ATTITUDE. smash-mouth teams have a swagger. this team has lacked confidence the last few years. 3 conference road wins in 3 years sucks arse. get the swagger going. beat teams physically. control the clock and wear them out mentally too.

let's talk history and the conference. all of CU's best teams throughout history have been GREAT running teams. that is a fact. if you want to win in the b12n in november, on the road, you better be able to impose your will no matter what the weather conditions are like. RUN THE BALL. and, with all these fancy spread offenses in the conference now, the defenses aren't going to be ready for 4 quarters of beat-down via a power offense. just as the fuskers had an edge running the option because it was unique, CU will have an edge playing smashmouth in an increasingly grass-basketball league.

ok, that's off my chest. please let it be true this time. no more words. no more stupid sideways running plays that take too long to develop and put way too much pressure on your ol and your qb.

RUN THE BALL.

aiyeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!

Seems Tyler has the better skills and size, so if he's on top of the offense as much as or maybe even close to Cody, he'll start getting the starts.

Good news... no, great news. I didn't think we'd be seeing this in 2009.

Obviously when you look at the personnel, we see our strengths on offense in big OL's and talented young backs.

I would bet that the OL will be ecstatic to be given the opportunity to drive block.

Liver,
Your commentary is too big to quote. But it's all good!

History will show that power running was the offensive staple of successful Colorado teams all the way back to Coach Ward's time.

Time will tell if today's bigger, faster defenses can stop that offense. Certainly, you still have to mix it up a lot, and we're getting the personnel to do that. We really need the o-line and WRs to step up!

http://www.allbuffs.com/forums/showthread.php?p=352644#post352644

simplifying the offense by implementing more TE formations, I's, and dual pro ace, will put less pressure on the line IMHO.

We are not going to win games on Qb play. Put the onus on the RB threat we have in speedy, scott, sumler, lockridge. we can outmuscle the rest of the north imho.

Simplifying the offense does these things for the buffs right now.

1.Gives us more possesion time with a more run based balanced attack.

2. Gives the defense well rested.

3. Tires out the soft spread stopping defenses of the north.

4. Allows us to experiment with Ballenger.

5. Opens up all parts of the passing feild for big plays because we will have more of a pro style QB in MB to challenge the opposing defense.

The ball is in control of the strongest unit we have on offense, RB.

And QB wont be a turnover liability.

i called it first.

I and a handful of others were smearing smegma all across the allbuff valdez brigade that week.

We were totally right after all. Even after the smartass "armchair coach" remarks, the igginator emerged victorious for another awe inspiring choad bloadation all over these toast****ers.

Time will tell if today's bigger, faster defenses can stop that offense. Certainly, you still have to mix it up a lot, and we're getting the personnel to do that. We really need the o-line and WRs to step up!

Aren't spread defenses smaller in the secondary to accommodate the blazing fast new WRs that have emerged with the spread? If anything, I think this would very much help give us an advantage in the Big12N.

I'm cautiously optimistic about this change. I have stated before that I am not happy about the offensive coaching staff going through 4 offenses in 4 years and that is still true. Changing offenses is especially hard on the OL and we all know that's been an issue the last few years.

This team needs an offensive identity. I can't imagine it is easy to recruit top players when you can't tell them with a straight face what you'll be running and how they'll be used. Which players do you actually recruit if you don't know what you are running? Focus on WR? Mobile QB? Pocket QB? Big RBs or smaller slashers? OL with run blocking experience or pass blocking?

It feels right now like they are trying to recruit the best players they can and then thrashing for an offense that fits the personnel. I don't see this as a path to long-term success.

So, if they make this change and stick with it and recruit to it, then I'm happy. Time will tell.

Back