What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Facilities Plans...

Paid my season-tix yesterday. When I called to do so I asked about groundbreaking at the Spring Game. I was told that is the plan and that the $50mil has to be raised prior to that ceremony. Apparently the $50mil is the cost of the steel which has to be purchased at the onset of the project. Does that make sense to those of you in construction?
Yeah, makes since due to the lead time and when they'd probably want to begin erecting the steel. It sounds to me like the first thing to go up will be the IPF then. I'd assume it will be a steel moment frame (e.g. Butler Building). I'd assume it'll be similar to the Jet's IPF but maybe not as big. Has anyone seen a rendering? I think News 4 showed it recently:

MK-AW710_B1SKY3_F_20090616185120.jpg

120529-atlantic-health-training-center.jpg

Last edited:
So today is the Design Review Initial Presentation. What exactly is that?

Equivalent to a 30% design submittal. The design team will present their conceptual design and CU will make review the design and send back comments and things they don't like.

Next submittal will likely be a 65% design which will be pretty close to the actual design as long as there isn't something glaring wrong with the design package.

I was hoping to see some renderings from the 30% submittal but we may not be at that point yet.

This is from Wilner's areticle on Cal but we'll be doing much of the same:

*** Memorial Stadium already houses the Haas School of Innovation and a recreational sports fitness center.

The next entities to move in: The UC Berkeley Visitors Center and the School of Public Policy (for its public affairs staff).

A two-level parking garage is opening below Maxwell Field, and food vendors are expected to lease space in the stadium on a full-time basis.

Also, look for a student store to open in coming months.

(Here’s the official news release from the Public Affairs office.)

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/colleg...g-memorial-stadium-into-a-247365-money-maker/

I've got a job for 'tini. Kind of a secret mission. Elon Musk's sister goes to CU. Get to it, 'tini!

It's been awfully quiet on the facilities upgrades. Is the ground breaking still on? Have they raised the $50 mil to kick this thing off?

[strike]FIRST Advertisement 1/6/14
RFP Document Release 1/14/14
SECOND Advertisement 1/13/14
Mandatory Pre-Submittal Meeting 9:00 am 1/16/14
Written Requests for Clarifications Due 4:00pm 1/24/14
Written Responses Issued 1/28/14
Submittals (Prequalification: Step I) Due 4:30pm 2/4/14
Submittal Review 2/5/14
Interview Short List Announced 2/6/14
Submit Subconsultant Qualifications 2/6/14
Oral Interviews 2/11/14
Selection Announced 2/12/14
Design Review Board Initial Presentation 3/13/14 [/strike]
Design Review Board Concept Presentation 4/10/14

Rumored Ground Breaking 4/12

Design Review Board Schematic Design Presentation 6/12/14
Design Review Board Design Development Presentation 10/9/14
Start Construction (Anticipated) 5/12/14
Substantial Completion 8/1/15

Updated.

We should be getting very close to hearing something about both the design and the ground breaking, which at this point has to be purely ceremonial.

Someone over on Rivals said Justin Solis took a test today. I hope that is good news for our DL, but not sure what that has to do with ground breaking. Unless the post was about testing soils, then in makes lots of sense.

No, not same **** different day. It's a done deal, just how they build it by piecing it out will change. Patr on rivals also had a good update, meaning we're close to the number. DW has been packed with design teams and what not and their have been soil sample trucks on Franklin the past two weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
No, not same **** different day. It's a done deal, just how they build it by piecing it out will change. Patr on rivals also had a good update, meaning we're close to the number. DW has been packed with design teams and what not and their have been soil sample trucks on Franklin the past two weeks.

Yeah? Well show me the ground breaking ceremony date and the fund raising goal completion, and we can talk. All you have is message board junk which we have heard for two years and some soil samples. Do I think we are closer? Yes. Is there anything officially out of the AD to prove it? Nope.

Yeah? Well show me the ground breaking ceremony date and the fund raising goal completion, and we can talk. All you have is message board junk which we have heard for two years and some soil samples. Do I think we are closer? Yes. Is there anything officially out of the AD to prove it? Nope.
I have two very good sources on this, you have a Kyle Ringo article. Patr is well a very well connected fan. This isn't the same old ****, it's a done deal. The April date was just ceremonial and the real date was mid-May, I fully expect the May date to be met.

I have two very good sources on this, you have a Kyle Ringo article. Patr is well a very well connected fan. This isn't the same old ****, it's a done deal. The April date was just ceremonial and the real date was mid-May, I fully expect the May date to be met.

It may very well be a done deal insomuch as they got their approvals and will eventually build something, but delaying a ground breaking because they haven't hit fundraising goals is frustrating. I'm sure they'll get there eventually, but the anticipation, buildup, then delay over and over does feel like same old ****.

I would argue nothing about this is the same old ****. We have Regents approval, a selected architect, and a plan with milestones. We have never seen any of this until RG came along.

Now, can they get the money raised that is needed? That is a great question for which I do not have an answer.

Agree, we've done more in the last 9 months than in the last 10 years and I applaud RG for the work he's put in, but if it's a "done deal" and we're really that close to the fundraising goal and they expect to hit it late April or early May, then why not go ahead with the groundbreaking anyway? You've got a captive football audience in town next weekend for the spring game - those are the people that need to be excited and the people the AD wants to engage in the process. Why push it back a few weeks or a month to when college football is in hibernation until fall, unless there's really a ways to go to hit the fundraising mark?

So a dude on a message board who agrees with you is more credible then a newspaper journalist who is at least nominally required to vet his stories? Oh boy soil samples, do you know how long an EIS can take? how ****ed they can get in court? and then have to be re-done. We missed the goal, even with 15 million of creative money kicked in, this is not a good sign. To say otherwise is deluding yourself.

It may very well be a done deal insomuch as they got their approvals and will eventually build something, but delaying a ground breaking because they haven't hit fundraising goals is frustrating. I'm sure they'll get there eventually, but the anticipation, buildup, then delay over and over does feel like same old ****.

I understand the desire to be hesitant with it all, we've hearing about it for years now. But as Highlander said, this is different for the reasons he laid out. I don't know why RG isn't breaking ground Saturday if we are close with the money, that's something you'd have to ask him but we are very close with facility upgrades at long last.

So a dude on a message board who agrees with you is more credible then a newspaper journalist who is at least nominally required to vet his stories? Oh boy soil samples, do you know how long an EIS can take? how ****ed they can get in court? and then have to be re-done. We missed the goal, even with 15 million of creative money kicked in, this is not a good sign. To say otherwise is deluding yourself.

The two people I'm referencing are credible sources

but delaying a ground breaking

Knew George was getting himself in trouble by floating the spring game. He initially said it to some alumni at the Stanford basketball game. Or was it the USC game. One of the away basketball games. It grew legs from there. He always said his timeline (sometime this spring) was very aggressive, but doable. I know its frustrating and we have had blue balls on this thing for years now. But really don't see it as reason for alarm if we don't have a ceremony on Saturday. JMO.

Knew George was getting himself in trouble by floating the spring game.

Absolutely true, one of the areas that RG has consistently had some trouble with understanding the public vs. private sector pace of getting things done. He would have been a hero if he hit this goal but given the history of CU there was way more downside to setting early and missing than there would have been if he had set a later expectation like "after the students go home for the semester."

I know its frustrating and we have had blue balls on this thing for years now. But really don't see it as reason for alarm if we don't have a ceremony on Saturday.

Absolutely - it isnt the end of the world but given our history....

I'm done with speculation and hanging on the words of whatever someone I know... or who is on a message board... or who is a journalist... or who is a primary source in this whole thing... has to say.

I've been talked to death. I've hoped and hoped. All I care about is action.

And regarding no groundbreaking ceremony this weekend, all I have to say about that is that I can't imagine that Rick George is pleased with missing that date. So, going on the assumption that he's not happy (no matter how he may decide to spin it)... then I'm not happy. And no words of positivity meant to lift my spirits on this are going to do a damn thing to change how I feel.

This should have been a monumental weekend, with a shovel hitting dirt in front of 40,000 fans (or however many we had for the 2008 Spring Game) and a ribbon being cut by one of Ralphie's horns going at 40mph. I don't know how close we are $$-wise, but it's disappointing.

Knew George was getting himself in trouble by floating the spring game. He initially said it to some alumni at the Stanford basketball game. Or was it the USC game. One of the away basketball games. It grew legs from there. He always said his timeline (sometime this spring) was very aggressive, but doable. I know its frustrating and we have had blue balls on this thing for years now. But really don't see it as reason for alarm if we don't have a ceremony on Saturday. JMO.

I think it's this coupled with the lack of transparency on where exactly they are with the fundraising. I am going to assume that if they were within striking distance of the $50M, they would go ahead with the groundbreaking to help energize the fan and donor base since it's largely ceremonial anyway. That they have delayed it is pretty telling IMO.

Where are they at? $45M? $30M? Somewhere in between? The article says we were somewhere past the halfway point in late February and that included the $10M CU Foundation money. That's not a lot of info and if I'm one of the early donors to this project, I'd be pretty agitated to have no clue when my money will start going to work.

Back