What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Facilities Plans...

I think it's this coupled with the lack of transparency on where exactly they are with the fundraising. I am going to assume that if they were within striking distance of the $50M, they would go ahead with the groundbreaking to help energize the fan and donor base since it's largely ceremonial anyway. That they have delayed it is pretty telling IMO.

Where are they at? $45M? $30M? Somewhere in between? The article says we were somewhere past the halfway point in late February and that included the $10M CU Foundation money. That's not a lot of info and if I'm one of the early donors to this project, I'd be pretty agitated to have no clue when my money will start going to work.

The last number I have been told is about 36mm about 4 weeks ago. At the time they were touting heavily the mystery 10m from the Foundation and the 5mm from Levy so realistically they had raised 21mm against a reduced private donation target of 35mm. Either way you slice the numbers they are over halfway but still a long way from where they had hoped to be.

And we're going to hit $50M by next month??

No would be my geuss unless they can pull another corporate rabit out of the hat.

What I'm worried about is that the project cost is about $150 million. Not $50 million. That is just to get started. It just really looks like the fund raising momentum has slowed way down. It took a $10 million contribution to get to $40 million +/-. How the hell do we get to $150 million? i assume we would finance it.

On the soil sample thing. That is just part of the design process. You can't design footings without the geotech information. Where were they taking them? Were they doing borings (drill rigs)? They would be doing those at the location of the future building.

Edit: Just reread 'tini's post. The borings are for the foundation design of the IPF I assume.

CU's biggest donors:

Bruce Benson
Rick George
CU
Our concessions provider

While you are functionally correct, both are in the top 20 contributors, there is other money in there both George and Benson are in the low six figure range - there have been some 7 figure contributions as well as some high 6 figure donations to the project outside of the corp money. There is 1 corporate rabbit left in the hat in the form of the hospital bidding to take the lead on the high performance center we all assume it would be Anschutsz but there are several others bidding as well.

I'd be pretty shocked if we broke ground April 12 or within the next 3 months. I walk by that area every day and it looks like it'd be a major PIA to build there. They'd have to destroy the recycling buildings and then add a ton of dirt there. I think we're looking at a Spring '16 completion date rather than Aug '15

Last number I saw was in the high $30's

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

According to the plan outlined and approved by the BOR, that isn't a done deal. Not by a mile. You are still missing nearly a quarter of the needed up-front funding. If you were to use that terminology in the business real world, you would be laughed out of the office while being handed a pink slip.

According to the plan outlined and approved by the BOR, that isn't a done deal. Not by a mile. You are still missing nearly a quarter of the needed up-front funding. If you were to use that terminology in the business real world, you would be laughed out of the office while being handed a pink slip.

We are missing, by reports, 5-7mil depending on what number you believe we need, outside odds though 7/47.6 = 14.7%

In the business world, if you miss quoted a shortage by over 10% when dealing with millions you would be laughed out of the office while being handed a pink slip.

It is not an absolute done deal because we need at most another 7 million to meet the regent mandated 1/3 of funding, but they are paying a design firm and have hired a GC. It is closer than we have been at any point in the past decade.

I'm done with speculation and hanging on the words of whatever someone I know... or who is on a message board... or who is a journalist... or who is a primary source in this whole thing... has to say.

I've been talked to death. I've hoped and hoped. All I care about is action.

And regarding no groundbreaking ceremony this weekend, all I have to say about that is that I can't imagine that Rick George is pleased with missing that date. So, going on the assumption that he's not happy (no matter how he may decide to spin it)... then I'm not happy. And no words of positivity meant to lift my spirits on this are going to do a damn thing to change how I feel.

I've been done since that **** show at the first bank center.

No, not same **** different day. It's a done deal, just how they build it by piecing it out will change. Patr on rivals also had a good update, meaning we're close to the number. DW has been packed with design teams and what not and their have been soil sample trucks on Franklin the past two weeks.

I have two very good sources on this, you have a Kyle Ringo article. Patr is well a very well connected fan. This isn't the same old ****, it's a done deal. The April date was just ceremonial and the real date was mid-May, I fully expect the May date to be met.

We are missing, by reports, 5-7mil depending on what number you believe we need, outside odds though 7/47.6 = 14.7%

In the business world, if you miss quoted a shortage by over 10% when dealing with millions you would be laughed out of the office while being handed a pink slip.

It is not an absolute done deal because we need at most another 7 million to meet the regent mandated 1/3 of funding, but they are paying a design firm and have hired a GC. It is closer than we have been at any point in the past decade.

I rest my case.

Most common number I've seen has been $43MM to break ground.

From who, your buddies at Rivals? Either Ringo misquoted the Board of Regents in that article or you're off. Regardless, that's several million dollars we still need in order to start next month.

Ringo, in chat today: "George still seems supremely confident to me. I asked him if there was any chance they push it back a year and he said no. He has been working all along on the timeline of starting sometime in April or the first half of May and that is still doable."

I rest my case.
It's a done deal that the facilities will be built, the fundraising is not. You are reaching for things I did not say. There isn't a "maybe they'll get done" here, the facilities pitch is a big one that has been told to every recruit and neither RG or MM can afford to not deliver them in roughly the same time scale they have laid out to recruits.

If it was my number that I pulled out of my ass you'd be right, but this isn't a number I came up with. You'r relying on articles by Ringo to get an update on the costs, but the reality is there is a lot going on behind the scenes that few of us know about regarding the numbers. If you remember it wasn't for a couple of months after Bruce got the foundation to give $10MM for facilities when we heard about it

From who, your buddies at Rivals? Either Ringo misquoted the Board of Regents in that article or you're off. Regardless, that's several million dollars we still need in order to start next month.
So what's your issue with Rivals now? Seems like you're hating on the poster on Rivals without even knowing who he is. Patr doesn't post much, but when he does it's meaningful. Shldr2Shldr and Abs backed that number sort of by saying we have ~$36MM raised and are $6-7MM off which would mean the magic number is roughly between $42MM and $45MM ($45 is the higher end accounting for growth between the time period Abs laid out and now)

What's 1/3 of $143M? It's not $43M. The math, and the Ringo article says $47M, and RG said he wants $50M. So if you're right and we've raised ~$36M, then we've got at least $10M to go. Unless Solich comes through, that isn't happening by next month IMO.

What's 1/3 of $143M? It's not $43M. The math, and the Ringo article says $47M, and RG said he wants $50M. So if you're right and we've raised ~$36M, then we've got at least $10M to go. Unless Solich comes through, that isn't happening by next month IMO.

Solich isn't the only alum and CU benefactor with a lot of money. Especially with the facilities tying in a sports performance and rehabilitation medical research facility, there are folks like Anschutz (and nutritional, equipment and pharmaceutical companies) that are included within the universe of potential donors.

SIAP, but what's Solich's deal? Has he contributed yet? If not, why not?

I know he was mad at CU for dragging his name through the Bohn firing. He is also looking to purchase or is in the process of purchasing some new business. Funds from him are likely not coming.

SIAP, but what's Solich's deal? Has he contributed yet? If not, why not?

Last I heard it was 2 things:

1) Rubbed the wrong way and has an issue with Benson. (But he hadn't written a big check despite being front & center before, so who knows how on board he ever was.)

2) Pat Bowlen may not be around much longer as the Denver Broncos owner. Solich may want to hoard his cash to make a play there.

Yes I'm aware what 143/3 is, however you're under the assumption that the cost hasn't been decreased at all when in reality to hit the timeline RG proposed it is possible (no, I don't know what all that would entail from a regent perspective and all that). Abs also said there is still one corporate rabbit out of the hat possibility, and that could bring in a large sum of money and would complete the initial fundraising stage.

Nik eluded to wealthy nutritional company alums, one MusclePharm's founder is a CU grad and MP is a fast rising company and has already won multiple awards for best supplements in various areas, I'd love to see a deal worked out with them for some funding. CU has a contract will Muscle Milk so I'm not sure if that would violate the terms of that contract.

Last edited:
Are those guys involved in the AD at all or are they just rich CU grads that could hypothetically donate?

I just go back to the delayed ground breaking, I feel like if we were that close they would do it now, and putting it off tells me they are still a ways away from our goal. The AD could release numbers that would end the speculation, but they seem unwilling or unable to do that.

Yes I'm aware what 143/3 is, however you're under the assumption that the cost hasn't been decreased at all when in reality to hit the timeline RG proposed it is possible (no, I don't know what all that would entail from a regent perspective and all that). Abs also said there is still one corporate rabbit out of the hat possibility, and that could bring in a large sum of money and would complete the initial fundraising stage.

Nik eluded to wealthy nutritional company alums, one MusclePharm's founder is a CU grad and MP is a fast rising company and has already won multiple awards for best supplements in various areas, I'd love to see a deal worked out with them for some funding. CU has a contract will Muscle Milk so I'm not sure if that would violate the terms of that contract.

No dice on MP, their name has come up before but if you look at the company - in early 2013 they had to sell more equity to pay debts, in the final quarter of last year they lost 6 million dollars. They are a promising young company with exciting products and some good partnerships, who may turn a profit this year (the markets dont think so with the OTC stock down 30% in the past 5 months). They are not now and have not recently been in any position to be financing **** and the execs is they are doing a good job and looking out for the company arent being paid enough to affect this project.

Your like a dog with a bone we've already been through this MP thing with you. In early 2013 they had to sell more equity to pay debts, in the final quarter of last year they lost 6 million dollars. They are a promising young company with exciting products and some good partnerships, who may turn a profit this year (the markets dont think so with the OTC stock down 30% in the past 5 months). They are not now and have not recently been in any position to be financing **** and the execs is they are doing a good job and looking out for the company arent being paid enough to affect this project.
When? Anyway, when I posted that, I didn't look at all their financials, was just bringing up a possible idea.

So as long as some random CU grad who may or may not have millions of dollars laying around decides to donate to the AD, it's a done deal.

When? Anyway, when I posted that, I didn't look at all their financials, was just bringing up a possible idea.

I retract the dog/bone part it was another you poster with this idea last time.

My post has been edited.

Back