What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Fearless predictions for CU's 2018 season

Hey Tsheck, I respect your opinions a lot here on AB, and as you know by now I'm a huge and unapologetic Josh Allen fan even given the caveats having to do with some of his numbers.
Same thing with Steven. We'll just see how it all plays out....If both guys get the coaching they need and take to it, the sky's the limit. But I'd sure rather be the Bills today than the Browns.
It seems that some people are giving Montez the same excuses that people have given Josh Allen. WR drops, poor OL play, bad play calling, poor coaching, etc. Very rarely do QBs at any level have all of those supporting pieces, and when they do, it's Tim Tebow at Florida and it actually covers how bad of a QB they really are...

2018 Schedule and Predictions:
CSU (1-0): W, the CSU team two years ago was better than the team I expect them to put out this year.
At Nubs (2-0): Toss up, but think it needs to be a W for us. Frost has a lot to fix and has stiffer competition than he did at UCF. We get them at the right time.
UNH (3-0): Yuge W for CU. FCS opponent.
UCLA (4-0): Another game that needs to be a W. Home game and believe we get them at the right time with Chip being back in the Pac 12.
ASU (5-0): W, ASU I believe will be god awful under Herm.
At USC (5-1): L, I think playing in LA will be a tough game for us.
At UW (5-2): L, Picking the Huskies to be a good team in Peterson's 5th year. Expect Browning to have a big year.
OSU (6-2): W, we're bowl eligible! First year coach, OSU has been sputtering since Riley left.
At Zona (6-3): L, but expect it to be close. Doubt Tate is going to run over teams like he did last year and I believe our defense will be better. Sumlin in his first year and has the best QB in Pac 12 and one of the best in the country.
WSU (7-3): W, WSU replaces several key members. Not sure who will step up, but think this is a down year for Leach.
Utah (8-3): W, all the games since we started playing again have been a one score games, except for last year.
At Cal (9-3): W, Cal will be improved this year, but struggle in the Pac 12 play. Only win I can see happening is the OSU game. Do expect them to push some teams.
Finish 3rd in the South behind USC and Zona. UW wins the Pac 12 and reaches the CFP. USC goes to the Rose and Zona to the Alamo. We end up spending Christmas in San Diego at the Holiday Bowl.

Montez leaves a year early after throwing for 3,500 with a 3:1 TD/INT ratio, and rushing for 800. Juwann gets drafted on day 2. Lewis, Worthington go on day 3. Ento, Edwards, Fisher, McMillian go as UDFA.

Last edited:
He wasn't the qb, but E.B. was a helluva leader in 89-90. Nobody cared when he flashed Q-dog signs after scoring. But this was a time when MC Hammer was popular, Jim Carey was funny and cell phones were carried in bags. It was a different time.
I was there for every home game, the Nebraska road win, and both Orange Bowls. I don't remember EB flashing Q-dog signs.

Why? Because the dude was nails minus his 4 fumbles against NU in 90. But even in that game he redeemed himself with 4 TDs in the 4th quarter and we won the game.

People will let you get away with weird **** when you have won and earned it. Less so when you have not.

Last edited:
CSU (1-0): W, the CSU team two years ago was better than the team I expect them to put out this year.
At Nubs (2-0): Toss up, but think it needs to be a W for us. Frost has a lot to fix and has stiffer competition than he did at UCF. We get them at the right time.
UCLA (4-0): Another game that needs to be a W. Home game and believe we get them at the right time with Chip being back in the Pac 12.
At UW (5-2): L, Picking the Huskies to be a good team in Peterson's 5th year. Expect Browning to have a big year.
OSU (6-2): W, we're bowl eligible! First year coach, OSU has been sputtering since Riley left.
At Zona (6-3): L, but expect it to be close. Doubt Tate is going to run over teams like he did last year and I believe our defense will be better. Sumlin in his first year and has the best QB in Pac 12 and one of the best in the country.
WSU (7-3): W, WSU replaces several key members. Not sure who will step up, but think this is a down year for Leach.
Utah (8-3): W, all the games since we started playing again have been a one score games, except for last year.
At Cal (9-3): W, Cal will be improved this year, but struggle in the Pac 12 play. Only win I can see happening is the OSU game. Do expect them to push some teams.
Finish 3rd in the South behind USC and Zona. UW wins the Pac 12 and reaches the CFP. USC goes to the Rose and Zona to the Alamo. We end up spending Christmas in San Diego at the Holiday Bowl.

Montez leaves a year early after throwing for 3,500 with a 3:1 TD/INT ratio, and rushing for 800. Juwann gets drafted on day 2. Lewis, Worthington go on day 3. Ento, Edwards, Fisher, McMillian go as UDFA.

Not as optimistic as you are but I'd love for CU to spend Christmas in San Diego

I think that is all a very optimistically fair prediction. I wouldn't call it fearless, and it should probably be in a regular season prediction thread, though.

Fearful predictions:
  • Montez plays poorly enough to lose his job, but Mac and the staff keep him in for 60 minutes of every game
  • Special teams inexplicably regresses
  • Defense still can't stop the run in the 4th quarter of close games
  • we go 5-7, losing a ton of close games
  • AllBuffs alcoholism rates increase, less time with S/Os, spouses and kids, more broken ****

Fearful predictions:
  • Montez plays poorly enough to lose his job, but Mac and the staff keep him in for 60 minutes of every game
  • Special teams inexplicably regresses
  • Defense still can't stop the run in the 4th quarter of close games
  • we go 5-7, losing a ton of close games
  • AllBuffs alcoholism rates increase, less time with S/Os, spouses and kids, more broken ****

:ROFLMAO:

He wasn't the qb, but E.B. was a helluva leader in 89-90. Nobody cared when he flashed Q-dog signs after scoring. But this was a time when MC Hammer was popular, Jim Carey was funny and cell phones were carried in bags. It was a different time.
Jim Carey was funny?

Jim Carey was funny?
On In Living Color he sure as hell was.
tumblr_nkyuq1gStB1t55xupo1_400.gif

As far as Montez ability to be a leader. Sometimes it is difficult to develop as a leader when you are playing alongside a very strong leader. If you are playing alongside Sefo or Lindsay there is probably a tendancy to defer to their leadership because nobody is looking for another leader. Next year the team is going to be looking for a leader, and hopefully he is ready to step up and take charge.

It seems that some people are giving Montez the same excuses that people have given Josh Allen. WR drops, poor OL play, bad play calling, poor coaching, etc. Very rarely do QBs at any level have all of those supporting pieces, and when they do, it's Tim Tebow at Florida and it actually covers how bad of a QB they really are...

I agree with @TSchekler here. My biggest concern with Montez going into last year wasn't his talent, he had shown that, it was his ability to put in the work and to consistently read defenses. He showed that he put in the work physically, but we either didn't see the results or he didn't put in the work when it comes to understanding what a D was going to try and do to him. Hoping Roper makes a big impact with Montez on this front as this is a no excuses year for Montez.

Montez has NFL measurables and an NFL arm. His dad had a cup of coffee in the NFL as a QB. Both of them know that if being a high draft pick is in Steven's future he has to play much better--his reads have to be better and come more quickly and he has to be more accurate. Only question is whether he's matured enough to be able to spend the necessary time to make this happen.

I have a bit of knowledge about Far West Texas/New Mexico high school football and Steven was likely the best athlete on the field at almost every high school game he played. College football has been a huge adjustment for him.

I agree with @TSchekler here. My biggest concern with Montez going into last year wasn't his talent, he had shown that, it was his ability to put in the work and to consistently read defenses. He showed that he put in the work physically, but we either didn't see the results or he didn't put in the work when it comes to understanding what a D was going to try and do to him. Hoping Roper makes a big impact with Montez on this front as this is a no excuses year for Montez.
Along with that, I just haven't seen a QB who elevated his teammates or made the plays when they needed to be made. Montez has so much more physical talent than Sefo ever did or could ever dream of having, but Sefo elevated the players around him, made the clutch play, and was a tremendous leader. Everything clicked for Sefo in year four, so let's hope the same happens for Montez in year four.

Montez has NFL measurables and an NFL arm. His dad had a cup of coffee in the NFL as a QB. Both of them know that if being a high draft pick is in Steven's future he has to play much better--his reads have to be better and come more quickly and he has to be more accurate. Only question is whether he's matured enough to be able to spend the necessary time to make this happen.

I have a bit of knowledge about Far West Texas/New Mexico high school football and Steven was likely the best athlete on the field at almost every high school game he played. College football has been a huge adjustment for him.
You are definitely right about the last part. The way it was aligned when I lived there, El Paso teams were your first round of the playoffs. A lot of times they'd be like 10-0 or 9-1, something like that, we'd beat the **** out of them. They'd always have a guy or two that could play though. Montez was probably that guy.

I'll go out on a limb.

buffs make it to playoffs.

win div
win champ game
get asses handed in the 1st playoff

I'll take a stab at the schedule-

CSU-Win 1-0
@Nebraska-We win by a touchdown. If we're looking at Nebraska football sanely, their season is a success if they go 6-6 and get to a bowl game. Their schedule is brutal-they play us, and they've got roadies at Michigan, at Wisconsin, at Northwestern, at Ohio State, and at Iowa.......and Michigan State comes to Lincoln. 2-0
New Hampshire-Win. Duh. 3-0
UCLA-This is probably the perfect time to get Chip Kelly, who might have to start big, lumbering white guy Wilton Speight at QB. W. 4-0, 1-0
Arizona State-Herm. Edwards. W. 5-0, 2-0.
@USC-Loss. 5-1, 2-1
@Washington-Loss. 5-2, 2-2
Oregon State-Win. 6-2, 3-2
@Arizona-Loss. 6-3, 3-3
Washington State-Win. 7-3, 4-3
Utah-Loss. 7-4, 4-4
@Cal-Loss. 7-5, 4-5

CSU-Win 1-0
@Nebraska-We win by a touchdown. If we're looking at Nebraska football sanely, their season is a success if they go 6-6 and get to a bowl game. Their schedule is brutal-they play us, and they've got roadies at Michigan, at Wisconsin, at Northwestern, at Ohio State, and at Iowa.......and Michigan State comes to Lincoln. 2-0
UCLA-This is probably the perfect time to get Chip Kelly, who might have to start big, lumbering white guy Wilton Speight at QB. W. 4-0, 1-0
@USC-Loss. 5-1, 2-1
@Arizona-Loss. 6-3, 3-3
Utah-Loss. 7-4, 4-4
@Cal-Loss. 7-5, 4-5

Looks about right.

CSU-Win 1-0
@USC-Loss. 5-1, 2-1
@Arizona-Loss. 6-3, 3-3
Utah-Loss. 7-4, 4-4
@Cal-Loss. 7-5, 4-5
UCLA and Cal games key to a good season.

CSU-Win 1-0
@USC-Loss. 5-1, 2-1
@Arizona-Loss. 6-3, 3-3
Utah-Loss. 7-4, 4-4
@Cal-Loss. 7-5, 4-5
Who knew we had a member named Washington?

Time for midsummer revision.

In the modern history of CU football we have 2012 and we have 2016. In 2012 we knew we would be bad - and it was much worse than we could have ever thought. In 2016 we hoped for the potential of our most experienced team in years - and it turned out better than anyone even hoped. 2018 is the year where we just don't know what will happen.

If MM just mails it in like last year, if Eliot is as bad as he might be, if we lose an offensive tackle, if the 2017 version of Javier Edwards is still our best option at NT, if we lose to CSU, if we realize our cool-aide is sour...then things could really go South. Under these very possible circumstances, it is no ****, totally reasonable that we go 1-11. Though the 2012 CU buffs where one of the worst teams in FBS history, the 2018 buffs could end with the same record.

If our Oline is better than it looks on paper (very possible), Drake is as good a teacher as anyone could hope, an experienced and conditioned Edwards improves as much as is realistically possible, Drew Lewis, Worthington and Taylor learn to fully leverage their freakish athletic abilities, Roper unlocks the sick potential within Montez, our receivers are as dominating as we think they might be, McMillian is able to do for CU what he did for Virginia Tech in 2015, MM realizes his job is on the line again and if Eliot proves to be the serviceable D coordinator MM hoped he would be....then things could look better than expected in a conference where USC/WSU are rebuilding and UA/ASU/UCLA are adjusting to new coaching staffs. Under these very possible outcomes I think our reasonable upper potential is 11-1 at the end of conference play..as good as 2016.

Last edited:

That Cruces/Mayfield rivalry is intense!

11-1 would be the coaching job of the decade... It ain't happening. Neither is 1-11, the absolute floor for this team is 3-9, and that would mean everything went wrong.

Realistically, the ceiling is probably 8-4 (nine straight conference games is no joke) while the floor is probably 4-8 (many winnable home games).

11-1 would be the coaching job of the decade... It ain't happening. Neither is 1-11, the absolute floor for this team is 3-9, and that would mean everything went wrong.

Realistically, the ceiling is probably 8-4 (nine straight conference games is no joke) while the floor is probably 4-8 (many winnable home games).
It's a relatively friendly conference schedule though. What's our third toughest conference game after @Washington & @USC?

It's a relatively friendly conference schedule though. What's our third toughest conference game after @Washington & @USC?

@ Arizona because of where it falls. Friday night road game just a couple games after the vicious Washington/USC road swing.

I would also add finishing with Utah and Cal is not super tough, but those will be two really physical games.

Back